"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Indigestible foods/ingredients

I'm interested in replacing parts of my diet with indigestible stuff so I can feel satisfied without exceeding my suggested calorie intake. One thing I've found out about is green banana flour which has a lot of indigestible fibre (resistant starch; that would turn digestible if the banana ripened) but I'm guessing it's difficult to buy and expensive and a hassle to make. Baking bread with it would be a hassle too; I guess I'd consider getting a bread maker. Maybe I could make tortilla chips from it for healthier nachos.

I'm interested in finding out about other ingredients like this which can provide a physical filling without adding unneeded calories (I'm already aware of sucralose and aspartame for sweetness).

Old 06-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You want foods with a high amount of insoluble fiber. Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and other cruciferous vegetables; cabbage, kale and other hearty greens; and beans all qualify.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

Foods with high water content will also help you feel full.
Cucumbers, watermelon, zucchini, berries, celery, papaya, tomato, mushrooms, salad greens etc.
Adding flaxeed to your diet will add lots of fiber and they aid digestion. You can add them to baked goods, sprinkle on cereal, in yogurt or over salads.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by seans_potato_business View Post
I'm interested in replacing parts of my diet with indigestible stuff so I can feel satisfied without exceeding my suggested calorie intake. One thing I've found out about is green banana flour which has a lot of indigestible fibre (resistant starch; that would turn digestible if the banana ripened) but I'm guessing it's difficult to buy and expensive and a hassle to make. Baking bread with it would be a hassle too; I guess I'd consider getting a bread maker. Maybe I could make tortilla chips from it for healthier nachos.

I'm interested in finding out about other ingredients like this which can provide a physical filling without adding unneeded calories (I'm already aware of sucralose and aspartame for sweetness).
As you're in the British Isles join "Slimming World" or Weight Watchers if you want to lose/watch your weight rather than doing silly things like you suggest. They will teach you how to organise your diet so you eat properly (and tell you if you risk being dangerously under weight).
Old 06-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
As you're in the British Isles join "Slimming World" or Weight Watchers if you want to lose/watch your weight rather than doing silly things like you suggest. They will teach you how to organise your diet so you eat properly (and tell you if you risk being dangerously under weight).
There's nothing silly about green banana flour or similar, just because you've not heard of them.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:30 AM   #6
Master Chef

It does not sound like you're trying to starve yourself to me. You did just say to replace parts of your diet.
I can relate. I also try snack on high fibre and low calorie foods in between main meals. I have always loved food a little too much. I eat more than my husband and he is 1.93m tall. I don't even do it to lose weight. Have not been fat a day in my life. I've got very high cholesterol and it's genetic so I can't afford to stuff my face with fatty foods even if I don't gain weight.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #7
Head Chef

I looked at this couple days ago in a thread about how to grind green bananas. Even though I could stand to shed a few dozen pounds, food(?) with no or very few calories isn't a route I want to take. Understand the appeal though.
  • Sawdust springs immediately to mind.
  • I've heard you can eat your weight in iceberg lettuce and still starve to death. Not sure about that but a pound of the stuff is only about 60 calories. Skip the oil and use red wine vinegar for dressing and that only adds 2 calories per tablespoon.
  • Romaine lettuce is better for you but has about twice the calories, but two times practically none is still about practically none.
  • A whole bunch of celery weighs about a pound, chopped it will fill a 1-quart jar (or stomach) and totals about 60 calories.
  • Two carrots are only about 60 calories. A whole pound might be under 200.
Just a few random thoughts off the top of my head which won't be new information to anyone but all of the above appeal to me personally more than green banana powder.

You mentioned making tortilla chips from banana flour. Thought and read a bit about how you'd make banana flour at home; guess you would dry the bananas first and then grind or process the dehydrated banana slices into a flour somewhere between fine and very course. If the food processor won't do the trick, a molcajete might. Then to get to an equivalent of corn masa, what chips are made of, from the banana flour you would have to rehydrate and then fry. I don't know how that would turn out but since the point is to minimize calories, why not just dehydrate your green banana slices and use the dried banana chips in place of tortilla chips? but ... I don't think you're going to be too thrilled with the flavor of dried green bananas.

Since we're talking about banana chips. Most Carribean, South, and Central American countries have a tradition of fried bananas, usually plantains. I've often made Puerto Rican tostones the way Daisy Martinez taught us in her old "Daisy Cooks" TV show, but they are a long ways diet food. In case anybody's interested though, a you-tube link to Daisy's tostones follows. I miss her.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
Master Chef

"You are most likely to feel fuller after eating protein than other nutrients, including fiber, and one of the theories behind why higher-protein diets work well with weight loss is because it helps you not feel hungry," says Purdue University nutrition professor Wayne Campbell, PhD."

Try hard boiled eggs and low fat cheese for snacks and add more lean protein to your meals
Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I looked at this couple days ago in a thread about how to grind green bananas. Even though I could stand to shed a few dozen pounds, food(?) with no or very few calories isn't a route I want to take. Understand the appeal though.
  • Sawdust springs immediately to mind.
  • I've heard you can eat your weight in iceberg lettuce and still starve to death. Not sure about that but a pound of the stuff is only about 60 calories. Skip the oil and use red wine vinegar for dressing and that only adds 2 calories per tablespoon.
  • Romaine lettuce is better for you but has about twice the calories, but two times practically none is still about practically none.
  • A whole bunch of celery weighs about a pound, chopped it will fill a 1-quart jar (or stomach) and totals about 60 calories.
  • Two carrots are only about 60 calories. A whole pound might be under 200.
Just a few random thoughts off the top of my head which won't be new information to anyone but all of the above appeal to me personally more than green banana powder.

You mentioned making tortilla chips from banana flour. Thought and read a bit about how you'd make banana flour at home; guess you would dry the bananas first and then grind or process the dehydrated banana slices into a flour somewhere between fine and very course. If the food processor won't do the trick, a molcajete might. Then to get to an equivalent of corn masa, what chips are made of, from the banana flour you would have to rehydrate and then fry. I don't know how that would turn out but since the point is to minimize calories, why not just dehydrate your green banana slices and use the dried banana chips in place of tortilla chips? but ... I don't think you're going to be too thrilled with the flavor of dried green bananas.

Since we're talking about banana chips. Most Carribean, South, and Central American countries have a tradition of fried bananas, usually plantains. I've often made Puerto Rican tostones the way Daisy Martinez taught us in her old "Daisy Cooks" TV show, but they are a long ways diet food. In case anybody's interested though, a you-tube link to Daisy's tostones follows. I miss her.
You don't need a press, just use a pan or solid spatchula. Green plantains are starchy, but very ripe plantains, totally black skin, have converted that starch into sugar. Peel and slice about an inch thick on the bias and fry to golden brown, drain on paper towels and salt them while draining. You have just made Maduros. I bet that instead of salt, you could use Tajin.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
"You are most likely to feel fuller after eating protein than other nutrients, including fiber, and one of the theories behind why higher-protein diets work well with weight loss is because it helps you not feel hungry," says Purdue University nutrition professor Wayne Campbell, PhD."
The same can be said for fat. I've been on a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet for the past three years. The thing about fat is that, unlike carbs and protein, it has zero effect on your blood glucose or insulin release. Plus it's a good source of fuel. I was completely astounded at how much weight came off so quickly (I lost 30 pounds in the first 6 weeks, even eating 2500 calories a day) and, because of all the fat, I never once felt hungry.

People still believe fat by itself causes clogged arteries. It doesn't. Believe me. My cholesterol and blood work were better after three months on this diet than in the 10 years prior. It's only when fat is combined with simple carbohydrates that it becomes a problem.

Tags
food