Is Agave Nectar Worse Than You Thought?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will you sweeten it with the nectar though? And if you like tequila, see if you can get your hands on a bottle of Casa Noble anejo 2 year. It is like pouring liquid heaven down your throat.

I understand. The article was about the nectar that is used in place of sugar as a sweetener.

I know. I think its the first step in a secret movement to turn us against tequila. The Vodka, Gin, Kahlua, Trilateral commission doesn't want the competition.

Hi GB, thanks for sharing that article. I had also read something similar a while back on Agave and how it's not better than a high fructrose type syrup. I bought two bottles of it from Costco and I use it occassionally in my coffee or tea.

I agree with what the author stated, which is moderation is key for a balanced lifestyle. Red meat, fried foods, fatty foods, etc. all have their side effects, actually fruits and fish also have their side effects but we still eat them.

I am not going to throw away my Agave, I intend to use it up:)

I am with you Yakuta. Moderation is absolutely key.

I think I still have a bottle of agave nectar in my cabinet. I will not be throwing it out until it is done. I do not think I will buy another bottle, but not because of this article. I just did not like the way it did not dissolve in cold liquids the way I had hoped.

I've suspected that's the case for quite a while. I use it for tea with friends, but that's about it.

I use it in place of honey. It has a sweeter, but similar flavor and I can use less. But generally speaking, I use sweeteners of any kind sparingly. I think the real problem is the abundance of concentrated sweeteners, regardless of the source, that you find at the top of ingredient lists of so much processed foods.

I just wish the sugar industry would switch to natural sugar. Less processing has to be more energy-efficient and cost-saving, doesn't it?

I also don't get why folks think flour and sugar need to be pure white. It's just silly.

And after using the natural stuff for a few years, the white sugar doesn't even appeal to me anymore.

Wait, wait, are you saying I should STOP chugging high fructrose agave nectar straight from the bottle? How will I wash down my special made KFC bucket o skin? Geez! I guess I have to go back to melting icecream and drinking it over pork rindes.

Wait, wait, are you saying I should STOP chugging high fructrose agave nectar straight from the bottle? How will I wash down my special made KFC bucket o skin? Geez! I guess I have to go back to melting icecream and drinking it over pork rindes.

Whenever I eat deep fried bacon with a melted lard dipping sauce, I wash it down with HFCS. Stay away from the agave, it'll kill you.

I am surprised they have no started selling that yet. I bet it would be their biggest seller.

They're working on it. The issue is the cost of the defibrillator they are including with each bucket.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I've never used agave nectar and don't even know what it is! I still use sugar when I'm baking but when it comes to adding "sweetness" to things like coffee, tea or cereal I use either honey (because it's natural) or Splenda.

What's the verdict on Splenda? When it came out it was touted as the healthy alternative to Nutrasweet & Equal (can't stand the taste of either). Have they determined that it's going to kill us all yet? I figured it was just a matter of time.

What else do you guys use for sweeteners? What's the best alternative to sugar in baking?

Back
Top Bottom