"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-21-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is casine a fat product?

My system can't tolerate casine, and I wonder if non-fat milk contains casine or would it be free of it? Thank you.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Casein is the primary protein in milk, it's not a fat. I would expect to find it in all milk.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I agree with Andy M. Perhaps plain soy milk would be an option for you.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
my son has a severe milk allergie and he has to avoid anything with casein in it.
stick with a soy or rice milk.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thank you very much. My options don't seem to include milk because I can't have the sugar they add to soy milk, I wouldn't know where to find rice milk out here in the boonies where we live, and homemade soy milk digests too fast and shocks my system balance. Maybe I can just look at it real hard when my wife drinks the store bought soy milk and get some benefit from it that way.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

I purchase the "Silk" brand of unsweetened soy milk. Then, when I'm in the mood for soemthing sweeter, I'll add a bit of Splenda, some vanilla, and a bit of nutmeg. It's very close in flavor to egg-nog. You should be able to find unseetened soy milk around you. And good luck finding products that will satisfy both your needs for good flavor, and good nutrition.

Seeeeeeya' Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 11:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi all,

You could also try almond milk (assuming you are not allergic to almonds)...which is surpringly simple to make at home. Homemade almond milk is one option, Homemade oat milk is another. Both are lovely in fruity drinks, and almond milk works nicely in some baking, and on cereal and oatmeal - hope these can help you

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote