Is Microwave Cooking Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found this article over the internet.

Almost every modern house owns a microwave oven today. Many people find it convenient, quick and safe to use. But, is it safe to use a microwave oven? Many health experts believe that microwaves are not good for health, and thus should never be used. Here's why:

Microwaves harm food particles
Microwave Oven produces microwaves that can severely harm the cell wall of foods. As a result, the gut receptors fail to identify microwaved food particles as food. Do you know that microwave technology is used in the field of gene altering technology to reduce the strength of cell membranes? Therefore, you should avoid using a microwave oven.

Microwaves affect the nutritional value of food
Microwaves produce harmful radiation
Microwave heating is harmful

So on.
I am very confused.

Saying you found it on the internet means nothing. That is not citing a source. What studies are these? Who conducted them? Where are they published? Anyone can put anything on the internet. I could put up that the sun is blue and actually burned out 100 years ago. Just because I wrote it on the internet doesn't make it true.

Let me help you step into the 21st century.

At the very outset, to know whether the microwave oven cooked food is safer to use or not, you need to have a clear knowledge of what microwave radiation is. They are a form of 'electromagnetic' radiation, that is, they are waves of electrical and magnetic energy moving together.
Microwaves used in these ovens are similar to the microwaves used in radar equipment and in telephone, television and radio communications. They are in the non-ionizing range of electromagnetic radiation, which are very different from ionizing radiation. Ionizing radiation includes the dangerous X-rays, gamma rays, and cosmic rays and is extremely toxic, powerful and penetrating. But again, non-ionizing radiation is what's used for microwave ovens and cellular telephone devices.
Coming to its cooking qualities, they are convenient for cooking as they pass through glass, paper and plastic and are absorbed by food, producing heat that can reheat or cook the food. Moreover, there are no signs that microwave cooking reduces the nutritional value of food, in fact, some experts believe that microwave cooking may preserve more of the vitamins in food because it cooks food more quickly, leaving less time for the heat to break down the vitamins, and uses less water, which can leach out the vitamins.
Many people are concerned with being exposed to a microwave oven's radiation. There are studies on the effects of microwave cooking that show both positive and negative effects on food, just as there are current studies on the dangerous effects of radiation from cell phones. So the bottom line is to learn how to use them safely and also follow some safety tips:
- follow the manufacturer's instruction manual for recommended operating procedures and safety precautions for your own model.
- don't operate an oven if the door does not close firmly or is bent, warped, or otherwise damaged.
- as an added safety precaution, don't stand directly against an oven (and don't allow children to do this) for long periods of time while it is operating.
- you should not heat water or liquids in the microwave ovens for excessive amount of time.
- microwave ovens can heat liquid and solid foods unevenly, leaving some cooler parts and some scalding hot spots. There are two dangers in this:
- Hot spots: Babies who have been given formula heated in a microwave oven have gotten bad mouth burns. For this reason, it is recommended not to heat milk for a baby in a microwave.
- Cold spots: Cooking meat in a microwave can lead to uncooked spots in which bacteria can survive. This can lead to food-borne illness. To thoroughly cook meat, it is safer to use traditional methods.

Palak Agarwal is a research analyst at Admanya.com, India's leading consumer internet portal which educates consumers by providing extensive product information and robust research. Visit http://consumer.admanya.com for latest consumer reviews, buying tips, prices, advices, surveys and reports.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Palak_Agarwal

What part of Russia, where there were nuclear meltdowns? Or was that the Ukraine?
Back in the uss, back in the uss, back in the ussr...

... Microwave Oven produces microwaves that can severely harm the cell wall of foods.

Heat damages cell walls. Microwaves generate heat so yes, true. But, so does every other form of heat generating cooking device. Boiling veggies in a pan of water on a stove burner damages cell walls. that's why the veggies get mushy.

As a result, the gut receptors fail to identify microwaved food particles as food.

Not a valid assumption based on the above. What is a gut receptor? Google never heard of it.

Do you know that microwave technology is used in the field of gene altering technology to reduce the strength of cell membranes?

Perhaps true but at what strength and power? Microwave technology is also used in radar and sonar. Does that mean your microwave can tell you when enemy planes are approaching?

Therefore, you should avoid using a microwave oven...

This is faulty logic and scare tactics. Look at trusted sources who are not trying to sensationalize and scare.

You really should be very careful of the sources of the materials you believe.

From her bio (SM):" I am always on a quest for knowledge. Sometimes my articles spark hostility in those that do not care for my research findings, and at times my opinion can bring out the worst in people. I will continue to write what I believe to be true."

Notice she does not say what school she went to or what qualifies her as an authority on anything.

cookinworld, are you looking for information from us or are you looking to support your own theory? There is a big difference. Maybe I'm just of a suspicious bent, but it seems like you have a particular agenda with regard to microwave safety.

If you don't want to believe the folks here thats fine. If you want to believe the articles you cited, also fine. Folks here are very helpful and do their research. When you are looking for information it is important to check the source of that information. If it is just some Shmoe on the street saying something you might want to be sceptical. If it is a university study publishing its findings, thats a bit more credible. You might also want to look at the dates of the studies. The more recent the better.

Good luck.

Microwaving near Chernobyl could be detrimental to one's health. Fishing, walking, sleeping, breathing, etc is also dangerous. Maybe that's where the "study" was from...

Unfortunately, common sense doesn't seem to be common any longer. If it was, we wouldn't see lawsuits about the temperature of fast food take-out coffee being too hot, nor judges issuing significant awards! Personally, when it comes to dealing with the public, I take nothing for granted.

The lawsuit to which you refer has become a poster child for rage against liability litigation, surely fueled by business interests. Unfortunately, as with so many issues, the public either forgets or ignores the actual details and facts of the case. They are not as simplistic as people might think.

It's always easy to be a bit smug about personal responsibility when it's the other guy. So yes, common sense is needed -- in finding a balance between both personal AND corporate responsibility.

nor judges issuing significant awards!

I meant to add in my post that judges don't issue awards; juries do, after deliberations. In fact, judges are the ones who usually reduce the monetary amount.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom