"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Is there a low fat butter substitute?

Everything I want to cook calls for butter. Is there anything that would make a good substitute or should I just leave it out and not even try to replace it with something?

Old 08-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Land O Lakes makes a light butter in stick form. You could experiment with that. Depending what you are baking there are other fat substitutes such as applesauce or prune puree that can be used. For example, I use applesauce in white cakes and nobody noticed.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

It all depends on what you are cooking. Often times other healthier fats (like olive oil) can be substituted or the butter might even be left out without a substitute.

Do you have particular recipes that you are thinking of?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

I agree with GB - it totally depends on the purpose of the butter in the recipe. Give us an idea of what you're trying to make and we can give you some ideas.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:50 AM   #5
Master Chef

I agree with everyone, it depends on what you're doing with it. Most low-fat margarines will not saute or fry -- they contain too much water. You wind up steaming. If going for health alone, I simply sub olive oil if that's what I have in the cupboard. SAME AMOUNT OF FAT. For the most part, fat is fat, same calorie content be it lard, butter, or olive oil. I tend to use the latter a lot, and butter when I'm really looking for a certain flavor. I don't bake, so can't help you there. When it comes to spreading, I happen to like the Brummel & Brown which contains yogurt, so has a pretty good flavor.

So it depends -- spreading, sauteeing, or baking?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Master Chef

We use lowfat "tub butter" (Parkay Lite) for spreading on bread. I use olive oil to replace butter in cooking most of the time, but there are times when I use real butter, as when I make a white sauce. They say now that margarine is not good for you either, so I figure we might as well have the real thing. Besides, the 2 tbls of butter I use in my white sauce goes a long way.
I have discovered that if you're making grilled sandwiches, you can spray the butter flavored cooking spray right on the bread, then toast in the skillet. It browns nicely, and really cuts calories on your sandwich.
I use real butter in my baking. If you're going to have a dessert, no point in skimping.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Executive Chef

fat is fat and contains the same calories whether it is lard or corn oil margerine. I only use real fat for cooking and baking. I see no sense in replacing it with hydrogenated products that may be worse for one's health after all. I have found in cooking one can cut butter and oil quantities quite a bit, and unless one is making a pure demiglaze of some sort with 8 tbspn of butter, the taste and quality of the food does not suffer. However, baking is more of a physical science requiring exact quantities to produce given reactions and results. If the butter is for flavor or moisture, things like apple sauce and dried fruit spreads can work very well. But if the fat is needed for a reaction to heat, then you probably need it all. Check various recipes and web sites to find ways to reduce the fat content in baking.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
Master Chef

I agree 100% with Robo!
Old 11-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I use omega 3 margarine. That way I get some good fat anyway so I don't have to worry about bad cholesterol too much. It tastes just as good as butter.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I use straight up lughtly salted stick butter, but for general spreading I use a Land O' Lakes butter with canola oil. Some new thing theycame up with fairly recently, with a red lid. Being from the Land O' Lakes, I figured I should use their stuff! HA!

Since olive oil has been mentioned, anyone have advice for finding good olive oil in a standard supermarket? There are so many options! I'm never shy of replacing butter with olive oil, but I would like to learn how to find the "good stuff."