"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Is there such a thing as drinking too much water?

I was talking to a friend this evening and I told her that I drank a lot of water today and for the past week since I've been diagnosed with diabetes.

But it's not the disease that's making me drink lots of water, as the case may be. I'm doing it to cut back on the sugar intake from sodas, fruit drinks and those squeeze-bottle drinks the kids buy, which was all I used to drink and very little water.

Now, I'm drinking water all day, every day. Is there something wrong with that? My friend seems to think so.

She told me that drinking too much water can kill you! Is that true? Does anyone know this for a fact or as heard of anyone dying from drinking too much water?

I was always on the believe that water is good for you no matter how much you drink a day. Is this true or is it and old wives' tale?

~Corey123.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I've heard of people who drank too much water and it removed electrolytes from their system. I don't have any facts to back it up. I think those affected really went to the extreme. The usual 8 8 oz glasses a day (unless you work outside and perspire an awful lot) seems to be sufficient for most people. I sometimes drink more than the 64 oz, but not much over that. I've also heard that a good amount of water to drink is to take half your weight in ounces and use that as a measure (i.e. for someone weight 150 lbs, 75 oz of water). If someone can drink Cokes all day long, one after the other, it would seem water would be much better than that.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I can tell you from personal experience that it is absolutely true. Drinking too much water can be very dangerous.

I once drank too much water and ended up coming very close to passing out. There are documented cases of people dying from it. For those cases death happened very quickly.

The saying is true, too much of anything is not good for you.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
Head Chef

Sounds like you are replacing other sources of water, i.e. sodas and juice drinks, with water.

If so, you are probably fine. Seems you are just cutting out excess sugar.

But also some electrolytes, so it is possible you are overdoing it, but heck if I know. That would require more information than you have given.

And this is not the forum to go into detail to get medical advice.

If you are a diabetic you have to be under the care of a doc.

Have no idea how severe your diabetes is, hope it is relatively mild, but all diabetics need to be on a diet tailored for his or her condition.

Sounds like you are making a good start, but your question should be addressed to your physician, or the dietician/nutritionest or appropriate person he/she recommends.

Take care of yourself and God bless.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I seem to remember learning about this in a microbiology class a couple years ago- something about the water content of cells in the body - too much causing the cells to burst - however, I also remember the professor saying it would take ALOT of water to do that ---- for what its worth - that is what I remember.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

How much are you drinking? If you're just replacing the soft drinks with an equal amount of water, I can't imagine it would be a problem. After all, soft drinks are 99% water.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Sounds like you are replacing other sources of water, i.e. sodas and juice drinks, with water.

If so, you are probably fine. Seems you are just cutting out excess sugar.

But also some electrolytes, so it is possible you are overdoing it, but heck if I know. That would require more information than you have given.

And this is not the forum to go into detail to get medical advice.

If you are a diabetic you have to be under the care of a doc.

Have no idea how severe your diabetes is, hope it is relatively mild, but all diabetics need to be on a diet tailored for his or her condition.

Sounds like you are making a good start, but your question should be addressed to your physician, or the dietician/nutritionest or appropriate person he/she recommends.

Take care of yourself and God bless.

I AM a diabetic (new to the disease), and it IS relatively mild (borderline). Was diagnosed last week.

The doc at the Joslin Diabetes clinic also recommends 64 ounces of water a day as well.

She didn't say whether to exceed that or not, so I thought that I was staying within the limit. To the best of my knowlledge, I had water four times today and one diet soda. I ate a salad at a McDonald's and had a 16-oz. bottle of water with it.

In torridy hot weather, people DO tend to drink a lot of water. I was just trying to find out when it becomes too much a day.

~Corey123.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

Yep - is true! It's called Hyponatremia, or more commonly Water Intoxication. There have been cases on the news not too long ago about some college students who died from it during fraternaty initiations where they had to consume massive quantites of water within a relatively short period of time.

I'm with auntdot - don't know how much water you are drinking, what your sodium intake is, how much you are sweating, enviromental stress (heat and exercise) conditions and workload, etc. ... and what your actual medical condition is. And, this is not a medical forum ... I do know a bit about such stuff but would never begin to offer medical advice.

Only advice I will make is - talk to your doctor. He/She will be able to advise you about how much water you should be drinking per day.

PS: seems you posted after I started typing this reply .... 64-oz is about what I drink per day, if I'm indoors - more if I'm outdoors and sweating, but then I bump up the salt intake to compensate for sodium depletion (thank heaven for Gatorade!)
Old 06-14-2006, 10:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I love reading posts from you Michael in FtW - they are always so good!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
I love reading posts from you Michael in FtW - they are always so good!

Educational as well!

I never thought that I'd actually hear of anyone dying from drinking too much water.

I do know that durring the summer months, the humidity drives the heat up to astronomical and unbearable temps, especially on very hot days and nights, making peole sweat much more ofter and harder - opposite of the wind chill in the winter.

The torrid heat also drives up the need and desire for one to want to try to quench his or her thirst for something refreshingly cold, be it beer, soda, juice or water as long as it's cold. The colder, the better.

Even if they were to just jump into some water at the beach or a backyard pool, that's a relief. Water is the first thing anyone would think of to cool down. But I'm mainly drinking it because it's been said to help in trying to lose weight as well as helping to keep the kidneys functioning properly.

Yes, I drink a diet soda now and then, but even that, I try to control. I just think water is better for you.

~Corey123.