"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Is whole-grain bread healthier for diabetics?

I was wondering this, as i heard somewhere that it is.

It's very low in carbs, has 0 cholesterol and very little sodium, but the thing that I'm worried about is how much starch does it contain?

Your thoughts, please.

~Corey123.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Whole grains are generally better for everyone because they contain fewer calories and more nutrition. As for diabetics, the whole wheat or whole grain breads usually contain fewer carbohydrates than white breads. Included in the carbohydrate component of whole grain breads is a greater fiber content and even though fiber is considered a carb, fiber does not get digested by the body but is passed through the digestive system unchanged. Because of this, fiber does not raise blood sugar levels.

Compare: http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/18075.html

with: http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/18069.html

While this is a good general guideline there is no hard and fast rule that whole wheat breads are lower in calories and carbs than white breads. So the general rule of read the label is still important.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I think the American Diabetes Assocition recommends it over white, whole wheat and other breads.

And yes, whole grain IS a great fiber, and it DOES pass through the digestive system unchanged. The body doesn't get the opportunity to process or break it down - leaving no chance of starch or sugars from it to get into the blood stream.

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'm no expert! Take no action on my say-so!!!

I can't explain the science, but I believe whole grain is better for diabetics and the rest of us. Something to do with the rate of absorption and the nutrients and fiber.

For myself, I've committed to using whole grains as much as possible. To that end, I have red and white whole grain wheat flour in the freezer. I want to wean myself, as much as possible, from the AP, bread, and cake flour in the cupboard.

I also have used up all the white rice and now only use brown rice.

A little more esoteric, but I'm making my own masa for tortillas etc. from whole kernel dent corn.

As for starch; I hope someone smarter than me can address the topic.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I think the American Diabetes Assocition recommends it over white, whole wheat and other breads.

And yes, whole grain IS a great fiber, and it DOES pass through the digestive system unchanged. The body doesn't get the opportunity to process or break it down - leaving no chance of starch or sugars from it to get into the blood stream.
~Corey123.
By definition, fiber is indigestible and no matter how long it remains in the digestive tract it will not be absorbed. (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines fiber as "indigestible material in human food that stimulates the intestine to peristalsis -- called also bulk, roughage").
Old 06-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Yes, and that is also true with salad.

Most of it passes right through the digestive track, and very little, if any, gets processed and absorbed into the body.

In the case of fiber, such as oatmeal, bran and wheat cereal, the majority of it will sit there and ferment, sort of like yeast does when it feeds off of sugar - creating sometimes embarrassing gas and some bloating.

But, like you said whole grain leaves no chance of that.

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Master Chef

Whole grains are complex carbs which break down to glucose more slowly. This site has some good info about that:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/complex-carbs.htm

This site has some really good information about whole grains in connection with diabetes.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.co...e.cfm?aid=2208

This is information that can be beneficial to all of us, not just diabetics.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Maybe THAT'S why the ADA strongly suggests that we eat whole-grain bread. To stem the onslaught of glucose getting into the blood from it.

And yes, it IS beneficial to everyone!

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Fiber is good for you, but with some people like myself, It produces gas in the intestines.

~Corey123.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
To stem the onslaught of glucose getting into the blood from it.
That is exaxtly the reason.

Quote:
Fiber is good for you, but with some people like myself, It produces gas in the intestines.
This will subside the more you eat it. The same goes for beans, the more you eat of them, the less they "upset" the system. Daily recommendation for fiber is 30grams+ per day. Start tracking it you will be surprised how little most people actually consume.