"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Yes, congrats on your newest little niece or nephew! Do they have other children? If so, try to take into account what they like and perhaps include some juice boxes. Also, maybe you could include some paper plates and plastic flatware to make the meal totally effortless for them.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #12
Sous Chef

And I forgot to say, whatever you make--put it in disposable dishes and give them paper plates and plastic forks/cups to go with it. Your SIL won't feel like doing any dishes!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I usually do the old lasagna/bread/salad standby but I like the idea of chicken enchiladas. Only thing though, if they do have other children, they may not like that (at least mine don't).

Congrats!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #14
Head Chef

Wild rice and chicken casserole...box of cooked wild rice, some chopped, cooked chicken, can of creamed soup of your choice. Mix it, add bread crumbs (crouton sized) on top and drizzle with melted butter. Bake and eat!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #15
Master Chef

a macaroni & cheese (baked), stuffed shells, casseroles. i've a 50's book of meals with great cassseroles- message me if you're interested.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Congratulations. =) Salmon with mixed greens and a fruit salad that will last a few days. That's what I wanted. (I just had a baby recently)
Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Head Chef

If she is breast feeding, bring beer, it's suppose to help with milk production.

Avoid, cabbage, lots of onions, baked beans or the baby will feel it.
~Blissful
Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
If she is breast feeding, bring beer, it's suppose to help with milk production.

Avoid, cabbage, lots of onions, baked beans or the baby will feel it.
~Blissful

I hear fenugreek is a better way to increase milk supply since you don't really want the baby getting alcohol in the system.

She's absolutely right about the cabbage.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #19
Cook

I remember when I was pregnant there were a few things the doctor would not let me eat. Maybe I would have not eaten them anyway, but knowing I could not....it just made me have big cravings for them....One of them was cured ham...

People were coming to the hospital with flowers, chocolates, and baby presents...and then...one of my friends showed up with some slices of the best ham you could find. If the stiches had let me........I would have jumped out of bed and fall on my knees!!!!

So...if there is anything she was not allowed to eat, you could serve it!!.

Ps. (red meat, not well cooked. I would not eat that neither. It had to be so well cooked that it was like eating a shoe sole, if sole is the right word in English, now I cannot remember)
Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Anything that you can make a lot of. When my SIL had her baby, I brought a lasagna, a moussaka, and a curry. She picked what she felt like eating that night and the rest went into the freezer. Apparently her and her husband didn't have to cook for almost 2 weeks. They were thrilled. I don't think either of them can eat moussaka anymore, though. LOL.