ISO chest congestion remedies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix, I hate to sound like a "mother" but be sure you get to your doctor on Monday if you're not a whole lot better. You could easily have something as serious as an upper respiratory infection, or worse. A few months back I got sick like you on a cruise in the Baltic and had it not been for the "hospital" on board they would have transferred me to a hospital in St. Petersberg Russia!! Not someplace I'd want to be sick! Anyway, $2,500 later, I ended up getting respiratory therapy and intravenous antibiotics on the ship. End of lecture. ;):flowers:

Trust me Kayelle, I'll be going in on Monday. I just need to survive til then! I've just learned that good medical care is more important that just any medical care. My lungs are my weak spot and I'm pretty sure I do have an infection of some kind. I just need to keep it all moving until I can get in. My timing on this really sucked. We arrived back in town just as my Dr's office was closing for the weekend. Argh!

And you can lecture me anytime my friend! I don't take offense, rather I feel cared for. Thank you. :flowers:

Back in the day before all the pills, syrups and inhalers, one of the tricks for lung congestion was to induce vomiting. The act of vomiting releases the body's natural theophylline and opens up the lungs. Docs would advise ipecac and it would really help. I detest vomiting myself but have noticed that when I'm congested and coughing, I'll sometimes gag on the mucus and vomit and always feel so much better afterward. That is something you may or may not want to try.

You're kidding me. Barfing helps my LUNGS? OK, going to go do a little googling on this one. Thanks jabbur, I love learning something new.

Unless you already know what is wrong with you, if you are "trying to survive until Monday" I would go to the ER.

There are things that seem like you can maintain and the longer you wait the worse it gets, until you are just dead.

Lemon, ginger, chocolate, whatever, they don't stop infections. Lung infections are serious. Go to the hospital.

Sheesh.

You're kidding me. Barfing helps my LUNGS? OK, going to go do a little googling on this one. Thanks jabbur, I love learning something new.

I worked in a pediatrician's office and one of the "old" docs who used to make house calls told us that.

Thanks for caring Frank. I'm not stupid, and I have a lovely protective husband looking after me as well. I can wait til Monday. I'd just like to do it with as little discomfort as possible.

jabbur, I can't find a reference to throwing up to relieve congestion. Got any links I can read?

pacanis, I'm so glad you recovered! :LOL:

Feeling a wee bit better today. The congestion is clearing a bit. I'm still coughing hard enough to see stars though. Blech. I ache from coughing so much. Still no nasal or sinus involvement, thank heavens for small mercies!

Got my chicken soup on the stove with lots of garlic in it. Smells yummy, lets hope it does some good.

Alix, look for body response to vomiting. It has something to do with way the body uses muscles to expel the stomach contents which then stimulates parts of the neurotransmitters in the brain that helps open the airways afterwards.

No antibiotics, as I've fought off the worst of it already. (I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs so we avoid antibiotics whenever possible) I have to check in again to make sure the congestion is still improving. All will be well in time, thanks Frank!

No antibiotics, as I've fought off the worst of it already. (I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs so we avoid antibiotics whenever possible) I have to check in again to make sure the congestion is still improving. All will be well in time, thanks Frank!

So glad you're better honey. :flowers:

Me too! I have a little ways to go yet, but I'm well enough to go to work tonight (darn it all!).

Me too! I have a little ways to go yet, but I'm well enough to go to work tonight (darn it all!).

well now you've gone overboard with this "getting well" thing, alix--you're not s'posed to be feeling quite good enough to return to work yet....:) welcome back, alix. go easy, take care....

Thanks vitauta. Stupid me getting well enough to go back to work. At least its evenings for the next couple of days, it will be less intense. I hope. ;)

Good to hear yer still alive Alix.

I am allergic to penicillin too... It is nice the alternatives are so expensive.. makes me feel like designer antibiotics. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom