"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
ISO food that does not require chewing

My wife is having a root canal in a couple days. I would like to prepare a couple of "chew free" meals for her for the days following, preferrable something substantial (with a modicum of nutritional content). I know that if I don't she'll eat nothing but tomato soup.

Any ideas?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I had a root canal in the morning, a sandwich and a apple for lunch, and macaroni with tomato sauce, meatball, Italian sausage, and crusty garlic bread for supper that same day, and women are more tolerable to pain than men are! But if you must, try 1/2 cup egg substitute, 1/2 cup soy milk, 1 cup cranberry juice, 1 cup ice cubes, 1 cup frozen strawberries, and 1/2 a banana, and give it a ride in the blender until smooth and creamy.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Maybe some polenta with a tomato sauce and parmesan,pureed vegetatables,cream soups,rissoto,scrambled eggs,egg salad,tapioca,chocolate mousse,ice cream and so on.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Executive Chef

oyster stew is great (if you like oysters) milk, butter, oysters and their liquor, green herbs, pepper, dash worcestershire and or hot sauce if you like

pureed soup...in chicken broth (canned) boil broccoli and cauliflower florets, potato diced and onion or shallot minced, until very soft...puree in blender food processor or with puree stick. Add half and half (or cream) until desired texture and heat gently. season if needed with salt and pepper and enjoy...

soft scrambled eggs...in a teflon sauce pan melt butter and add beaten /whipped eggs...cook over low / med heat stiring with a rubber spatula until gently "firmed" up. season and serve.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Contest Winner

You can always get some cans of Ensure or Boost. They taste pretty good and contain complete nutrition for those who cant eat proper meals for whatever reason. I had it after I had some dental surgery.

Just make sure its ice cold because warm Ensure is nasty!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I had a root canal in the morning, a sandwich and a apple for lunch, and macaroni with tomato sauce, meatball, Italian sausage, and crusty garlic bread for supper that same day, and women are more tolerable to pain than men are! But if you must, try 1/2 cup egg substitute, 1/2 cup soy milk, 1 cup cranberry juice, 1 cup ice cubes, 1 cup frozen strawberries, and 1/2 a banana, and give it a ride in the blender until smooth and creamy.
I would advice against that diet after a root canal Your gums are too tender and can cause infection.

I would opt for an omelet with very soft cooked veggies of her choice, maybe a crepe, soup, french toast?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I would advice against that diet after a root canal Your gums are too tender and can cause infection.

I would opt for an omelet with very soft cooked veggies of her choice, maybe a crepe, soup, french toast?
Did I forget to mention the Vicodin?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
Executive Chef

How about;

Baked Custard or cornstarch puddings

glorified mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes, add butter, sour cream, s&p, cream cheese

creamed soups, like potato, corn chowder

milk shakes, smoothies, ice cream, orange juice, jello made with fruit juices
Old 04-27-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Master Chef

Chicken soup with meat balls.
Get the whole chicken. Take the breasts of. Make the soup stock out of dark meat and bones. Add meatballs.

For the meat balls. I prefer to use meat grinder, but the food processor will do.
2 breasts
1 medium onion
1 slice of white bread
1 large egg.

Grind everything together add salt and pepper to taste, mix it well, wet your hands and form the balls about to an inch in diameter, drop into boiling soup, continue to cook as you would usually make soup.

That is what my wife lived on after her wisdom teeth were pulled out.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Almost any food + Blender = Food that doesn't require chewing.