ISO food that does not require chewing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vyapti

Sous Chef
My wife is having a root canal in a couple days. I would like to prepare a couple of "chew free" meals for her for the days following, preferrable something substantial (with a modicum of nutritional content). I know that if I don't she'll eat nothing but tomato soup.

Any ideas?

I had a root canal in the morning, a sandwich and a apple for lunch, and macaroni with tomato sauce, meatball, Italian sausage, and crusty garlic bread for supper that same day, and women are more tolerable to pain than men are! But if you must, try 1/2 cup egg substitute, 1/2 cup soy milk, 1 cup cranberry juice, 1 cup ice cubes, 1 cup frozen strawberries, and 1/2 a banana, and give it a ride in the blender until smooth and creamy.

Last edited:
:) Maybe some polenta with a tomato sauce and parmesan,pureed vegetatables,cream soups,rissoto,scrambled eggs,egg salad,tapioca,chocolate mousse,ice cream and so on.

Last edited:
oyster stew is great (if you like oysters) milk, butter, oysters and their liquor, green herbs, pepper, dash worcestershire and or hot sauce if you like

pureed soup...in chicken broth (canned) boil broccoli and cauliflower florets, potato diced and onion or shallot minced, until very soft...puree in blender food processor or with puree stick. Add half and half (or cream) until desired texture and heat gently. season if needed with salt and pepper and enjoy...

soft scrambled eggs...in a teflon sauce pan melt butter and add beaten /whipped eggs...cook over low / med heat stiring with a rubber spatula until gently "firmed" up. season and serve.

You can always get some cans of Ensure or Boost. They taste pretty good and contain complete nutrition for those who cant eat proper meals for whatever reason. I had it after I had some dental surgery.

Just make sure its ice cold because warm Ensure is nasty!

Caine said:
I had a root canal in the morning, a sandwich and a apple for lunch, and macaroni with tomato sauce, meatball, Italian sausage, and crusty garlic bread for supper that same day, and women are more tolerable to pain than men are! But if you must, try 1/2 cup egg substitute, 1/2 cup soy milk, 1 cup cranberry juice, 1 cup ice cubes, 1 cup frozen strawberries, and 1/2 a banana, and give it a ride in the blender until smooth and creamy.

I would advice against that diet after a root canal:LOL: Your gums are too tender and can cause infection.

I would opt for an omelet with very soft cooked veggies of her choice, maybe a crepe, soup, french toast?

Last edited:
amber said:
I would advice against that diet after a root canal:LOL: Your gums are too tender and can cause infection.

I would opt for an omelet with very soft cooked veggies of her choice, maybe a crepe, soup, french toast?

Did I forget to mention the Vicodin? :wacko:

How about;

Baked Custard or cornstarch puddings

glorified mashed potatoes/sweet potatoes, add butter, sour cream, s&p, cream cheese

creamed soups, like potato, corn chowder

milk shakes, smoothies, ice cream, orange juice, jello made with fruit juices

Chicken soup with meat balls.
Get the whole chicken. Take the breasts of. Make the soup stock out of dark meat and bones. Add meatballs.

For the meat balls. I prefer to use meat grinder, but the food processor will do.
2 breasts
1 medium onion
1 slice of white bread
1 large egg.

Grind everything together add salt and pepper to taste, mix it well, wet your hands and form the balls about ¾ to an inch in diameter, drop into boiling soup, continue to cook as you would usually make soup.

That is what my wife lived on after her wisdom teeth were pulled out.

I ate soft foods after my root canal for a few days. There was little or no pain (I only took one ibuprofen), but be careful of foods that are too hot or too cold. Even though the nerves are gone from the tooth, the area around the tooth is tender and sensitive to hot and cold. Hearty soups that are blended and thinned with broth are good. Even beef stew can be blended/pureed and served as a thick smooth soup. For breakfast, run the raw oatmeal through the blender or food processor and then cook. It is much less chewy that way. Serve with applesauce or mashed bananas. Watch out for berries for awhile. Those little seeds tend to get caught in the swollen tissue around the tooth. You and your wife will do fine!

Last edited:
vyapti said:
My wife is having a root canal in a couple days. I would like to prepare a couple of "chew free" meals for her for the days following, preferrable something substantial (with a modicum of nutritional content). I know that if I don't she'll eat nothing but tomato soup.

Any ideas?
All I can think of right now is how sweet you are to look after her so well.:)

First off, she should definitely ask the oral surgeon about what she should or should not eat following the surgery. As another poster mentioned, infection is a real possibility - it has nothing to do with "pain threshold". Geesh.

That said, unless informed by a DOCTOR otherwise, I'd still stick with soft food items at a neutral temp - niether too cold or too hot. Lipton's noodle soup, puddings, custards, jello, perhaps some type of ground meat or tuna/noodle casserole, etc.

amber said:

Uh, they drill a hole through your tooth, which is what removes the root, sometimes they will insert a pin to replace the root, then they close up the hole with a filling. Why would your gums get tender?

Jikoni said:
All I can think of right now is how sweet you are to look after her so well.
Thank You. Her birthday is later in the month and I've told her she gets the root canal for her gift:D

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It has been very helpful. CharlieD, your soup looks good, bad teeth or not.

mudbug said:
perfect excuse to eat ice cream for a few days - why ruin it?

I definetely second that!! Ice cream made well with fresh milk and fresh fruits have actually good nutritional values (certainly better than some fast foods), indeed it's a popular lunch option for many Romans here.

Back
Top Bottom