"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 05-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #31
Master Chef
Michael is right in that in pediatrics it is the timeline of growth that is looked at. Those height and weight charts the pediatricians use have the average from the biggest at a certain age to the smallest at the same age. I would only be worried if he is "falling off" the chart as we in the profession say. If he has been on the small side all along but is following the growth curve on the chart, then he is normal for him and there is nothing to worry about. However, if he was say in the 40th percentile for his age (meaning 60% of kids his age are bigger) and now he's in the 5th percentile and is leveling off compared to the average growth curve then you need to investigate why. I think as long as he's not anemic and following the growth curve, just feed him the healthy stuff and he'll be fine. If you are concerned there are dietary supplements available for kids (Pediasure is one of them) that will give him the vitamins and some extra calories if you and your doctor feel he needs them.

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #32
This last post seems so very reasonable and explanatory and even comforting. Some kids are just small--healthy, energetic--but small. And this post at a time when many 6 year olds are already succumbing to the obesity epidemic in this country.
It would seem to be key for the mother to be in contact with the new pediatrician about her concerns and have him give her advice rather than anonymous internet voices who may or may not have any idea about the family's genetics (are they small boned, late developers?), doctor's advice (the doctor seemed to be OK with the child's development).

Charleysaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #33
Sous Chef
My dear....as a mother of two and grandma of two, please, listen to your doctor. There are far too many fat children in North America today. As long as your son is healthy and happy, just enjoy him....the weight will come,along with his years. I wish him happy, healthy years!!!!
ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #34
Head Chef
Didn't read the whole thread so not sure if someone has mentioned this, but... be careful about what your son hears. My nephew is 9 years old and REALLY skinny. Rail skinny even though he eats the same food his family does. He started getting really self concsious (Sp??) about his weight. Hopefully people aren't pointing out that he is really skinny in front of him. Unless the dr. says he's lacking nutrients, I wouldn't worry about what the scale says. My cousin was really skinny as a kid, boy did he make up for it during the teen years! :-)

htc is offline   Reply With Quote