"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Low salt, low cholesterol, low fat diets

I've been cooking like this for a spouse who has high blood pressure and a failed quad bypass. It was a do or die, There was NO OPTION button to push. The days of sneaking snacks and the extra cookies, and eating in the middle of the nights were gone forever. It had to stop to live.

When we face the certainty of death we become willing to do what is necessary to survive. I wanted to live to hold my great-grandchildren and I have. Another one is coming this fall.

I had to learn to cook differently, and I had to learn to think differently about food. It is not easy, itis not fun, and you will not like your food to begin with. If your children are healthy and fit, they can eat anything and everything they see. You cannot. And until you get the hang of cooking differently you may find you are preparing two different diets for a while.

Understand how commercial food is cooked. If it is low in fat, it is HIGH in salt and sugar. If it is low in salt and sugar than it is HIGH in fat. You cannot eat commercial food and win.

Fat from any source is Cholesterol. TOO much SALT causes a water buildup around the heart. Its called Congestive Heart Failure. TOO much sugar can cause Diabetes. The only way to control any of it is to cook your own meals. When you cook at home YOU and not the friendly fast food chain determines how much salt, sugar and fat you put in your mouth.

The only way to get control is to do IT yourself. MY ground beef is 98% fat free. So is my stew meat and beef for vegetable soup. Chicken has no skin in my food, We drink and cook with fat-free skim milk. Bacon is gone too, except for summer. I fix a bacon and tomato sandwich one time every two weeks only during the tomato growing season,.

It is not as hard as it sounds. You can cook any family recipe as long as tiy are willing to cook differently. Natural Sea Salt - not from the grocery store - is healthier and it is complete. I buy mine at Trader Joe's. Commercial salt has additives for shelf life and anti-caking in the box. So does the commercial sea salt that is sold in the shaker. I stopped using olive oil as it changes the taste of food. You only have to eat an egg fried in olive oil once to understand. You do no have to fry eggs. Poaching does the same thing without the added fat. I use peanut oil because I can buy it in gallon jugs and it does not change the taste of food - not even eggs or fish. It is also cheaper by the gallon than by the bottle.

This is a lot to digest. If you want to learn more please let me know,

Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Mesquite Chicken

Remove the skin and fat,

Place the chicken fat side down on a baking rack.in a large cake pan. Put 1/2 water in the bottom on the cake pan. The fat will collect in the water and not in your stomach, You loose no flavor,

Spread Dijon mustard over chicken. Do not us Dijonnaise,

Sprinkle with Mesquite seasoning,

Bake 20-25 minutes -or until you see no juice.

Hint: Chicken breasts cook fastest than leg quarters. ..

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Head Chef

linicx, that's a bunch of good information! Thank you for sharing. Eating that way might be tough at first, but for all the right reasons. I hope your post helps people. It can be done.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quick Salmon Salad

I love shrimp, It is high in cholesterol. It is an occasional treat for us. Ice cream is treat too, It is full of cholesterol and sugar. I buy the Dipps. There are bite size pieces of ice cream dipped in chocolate. I pop one in my mouth on the way to the laundry room which inconveniently located in the basement. Steps raise the heart rate it's good exercise.

I live in a rural area where I can find beef, pork, chicken and canned salmon or tuna locally. The recipe iis for COOKED meat, fish or poultry.

Preparation time five minutes.

All of these ingredients, except croutons, including the bowl should be chilled.

I can of salmon drained with the bones removed. Set aside

Head lettuce has no food value. It is one of the reasons when I eat I feel hungry 30 minutes later. Instead I use spinach, one of the other lettuces, or a combination. .Spinach contains iron and it is a dark green veggie.

1- Bag of spinach washed well with stems removed and drained.

Can of black olives drained and sliced

A can of no-salt added diced tomatoes drained, or a couple of fresh tomatoes cut up.

i onion sliced thin and separated into rings. Red onions add flavor and they are often sweeter than a white onion.

I box croutons, any flavor.

Add spinach to the chilled bowl. Tear the salmon into bite size pieces and add. Then add the olives, tomatoes and onion rings. Use your hands to toss the salad. Put it in salad bowls, add croutons and and pass the dressing.

Any LIGHT Vinaigrette dressings works well with this salad as it does not over-power the ingredients.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I like to chop up all the vegetables for a stir fry - bell peppers, onion, broccoli, garlic, etc. - and add them to shelled edamame and snap peas, then freeze them with some soy sauce and salt and pepper. Whenever I make chicken, steak or salmon I cut it into strips and the next night I just have to cook rice then stir fry the frozen veggies in a little sesame oil and add in the protein and rice at the last minute.

I also make a lightened up version of taco night by baking some salsa, frozen corn and diced onions, leftover chicken and canned green chiles in a pot of brown rice, and shredding a little low fat cheese on top. Just cook the rice and stir everything else in and put it in the oven at about 350 just long enough to heat it up.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Interesting. I have no idea what "edamame" is. I would have to change the recipe. Soy sauce and salt are both salt. We need a low-salt diet. We don't eat corn as there is no nutritional value. Corn only has food value for a ruminate animal such as a cow. Iceberg lettuce does not have nutritional value for humans either.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
Head Chef

Interesting comment you make about corn because my own research shows corn is rich in phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, iron and selenium. It also has small amounts of potassium. It also has Vitamin B (Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folate). It has traces of Vitamin A and Vitamin E.

True there are no particular health benefits of corn, except for the fact that it provides necessary calories for daily metabolism of the body. Corn is good for skin care, boosting nervous system, digestion, and maintaining low cholesterol levels.

For those reasons I would encourage people to keep eating their corn.

As for Edamame, I'm surprised you know nothing about it since you seem to be very health aware, as it is a soy bean.

You might want to dig deeper in your research of Iceberg Lettuce too.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Ice cream is treat too, It is full of cholesterol and sugar. I buy the Dipps. There are bite size pieces of ice cream dipped in chocolate.
You mean dibs? From dryers right? I used to snack on those too, thinking that since they were bite sized it wasnt too big of a deal. But there are WAY better options out there for healthy ice cream treats. Dibs are 49% fat and of that 49% something like 95% of that is SATURATED fats. It's really really awful stuff for ya, even if you're treating yourself.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
linicx, you mention you don't use olive oil when you fry eggs because of the flavor it imparts. Try using light olive oil. The light denotes taste only, not fat content. It has virtually no flavor at all and is when I use to make a lot salad dressings and for sauteing.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Interesting comment you make about corn because my own research shows corn is rich in phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, iron and selenium. It also has small amounts of potassium. It also has Vitamin B (Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folate). It has traces of Vitamin A and Vitamin E.

True there are no particular health benefits of corn, except for the fact that it provides necessary calories for daily metabolism of the body. Corn is good for skin care, boosting nervous system, digestion, and maintaining low cholesterol levels.

For those reasons I would encourage people to keep eating their corn.

As for Edamame, I'm surprised you know nothing about it since you seem to be very health aware, as it is a soy bean.

You might want to dig deeper in your research of Iceberg Lettuce too.
If you have the stomach of a cow, corn has nutrurional value. In humans it is a GIGO food. I am surrounded by soybean fields. I don't like it raw nor as a food additive. It edamame is not the raw bean, I don't recogize it by that name.

I do not know that I am terribly health conscious except to the excent I have a dying spouse and daughter that need special diets. I learned how to adapt my family recipes to healthy reciepes by trial and error.

Tags
healthy recipes