"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 04-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Unhappy ISO Good Easy Healthy Recipes for a Busy Family

I am looking for some good healthy, QUICK recipes for my family. My husband and I are both overweight, high blood pressure, high cholestrol, border line diabetic(husband) and have very healthy atheltic kids who are extremely busy. I NEED help finding things that are good for us to eat that don't take a long time with 20 ingredients to prepare. You guys got any ideas? Baked fish and salad are all I have came up with and you can't eat that every night.

Any Help would be great

AngieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Turkey tenderloin might be an option. Just cut some slices of the tenderloin, lightly pound it, season it with something like Mrs. Dash, and saute it in a little olive oil (or Pam). They have flavored turkey tenderloins available too--sun dried tomato, basil pesto, etc. Serve it with a fresh, steamed vegetable and brown rice.

If the kids say, "Bleh," let them make their sauteed turkey into a panini.

The yellow squash and zucchini are looking great at the grocery store right now. Maybe you could stuff some squash or zucchini with a stuffing of some sort for an entree (lean meat, murshrooms, onion/garlic, little parm, etc.).

Also, shrimp are pretty lo-cal if cooked right! Good luck!

Cooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Head Chef
Our dinner tonight is low cal, low fat and healthy: stuffed green and red peppers made with about a half pound of low fat ground beef, one cup of leftover rice, diced tomatoes, onions, garlic. You can add some canned black beans to stretch it and put a little low fat cheese on top to make it more festive.
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Head Chef
I have been on WW for the past 6 weeks and you won't believe the number of great and easy recipes I've found online.
I made stuffed shells tonight.

Some of my favorite quick and easy/healthy meals are:
grilled chicken sausages with grilled red peppers, grilled polenta and salad
Shrimp & veggie stir fry with brown rice
turkey chili (can make it in the crock while you're at work)
turkey burgers on the grill with steamed veggies or baked sweet potato
Mexican chicken spaghetti bake - great WW recipe
turkey taco salads
Pork tenderloin on the grill with grilled veggies and a Greek salad
grilled Chicken with red potatoes, grilled veggies or a salad.

And don't forget desserts - Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are great and low in fat. Frozen yogurt with strawberries, sugar free chocolate Jello pudding topped with cool whip. Tonight I had a 1 oz square of dark chocolate with a tablespoon of better n peanut butter.

You can check out the recipes on WW for free - just need to register.

Good luck - thinking about it is the first (important) step.
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Here we eat a lot of salads too, but simple ones with tons of flavor. I made a jamaican jerk shrip salad last night with jicama and black beans and lots of greens. Made a simple cilantro dressing.

Another favorite is chicken and grapefruit salad with avocado and some oil and vinegar on bib lettuce.

Keeping good, fresh ingredients is very helpful in preparing healthy dinners quickly-imo.

I also make a lot of fakeys (as I call them) like a cheesburger salad. It has lean ground beef, tomatoes, pickles, red onion, and a tomato based dressing. Crumbled jack or cheddar cheese. Tastes just like the real thing but minus a bunch of calories.

we replaced pasta with spaghetti squash and mashed potatoes with smashed califlower, not because of the carbs either...just because it gives us so much more vitamins and fiber!
snack_pack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
Head Chef
SP85 - I would love to get your cheeseburger salad recipe - that sounds good! and the shrimp salad sounds good too - yum, great ideas!
Toots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
Senior Cook
I just got a Cooking Light magazine off the newstand at the grocery store, so it's recent, that is 5 ingredients and 15 minutes (you do have to stock the pantry for spices, etc., those aren't included in the 5 ingredients) and everyone from my husband down to my grandkids enjoys the food. And read labels. I got the shock of my life when I read the label for yogurt covered pretzels. Pretzels are very low fat, so is yogurt (or can be). Why is it so full of saturated fat when you put them together? I ate so many of those things feeling all virtuous...pfffffft. And Dr. Mehmet Oz's book "Your Body on a Diet" is wonderful. Full of good knowledge for any of us, overweight or not. Good luck and congrats on your lifestyle changes...hard at first, and easier as you go along. We all want you around for a loooooong time.
HMGgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Angie, if you are feeding such a diverse population your best bet is to get a scale and measure the portions for you and your husband. You can make nearly anything you like as long as you use portion control for yourself.

Try to look at recipes that are high veggie content and lower carb/protein. The key for you will be portion control.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Head Chef
Now that it's warmer here, we grill out a ton and that naturally, leads to a little healthier cooking (at least for us). For us, when DH grills, we don't feel the need or simply don't have to add alot of sauces or breading.
Here are some of the things we do ...
* Shrimp tossed with a little EVOO, lime juice and garlic served with salad or asparagus.
* Pork tenderloin seasoned with salt and pepper or a little (and I mean sparce) teriyaki served with fresh veggies.
* Beef kabobs (you don't need a ton of beef to get a good kabob so you can stick with the recommended serving size easier).
* Salmon with a little butter and dill
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
Assistant Cook
If it isn't really quick, easy, and healthy, then it probably isn't being made in my kitchen

Here are a couple of favorites I have recently made:

Easy Veggie Udon for Ramen Lovers (add some leftover chicken for protein)
Creamy Potato Soup (no cream!)

For easy, I cook up grains in a rice cooker (brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, millet, etc.) with a steamer basket on top filled with veggies (the veggies need much less time than the grains though, so best to time). My husband then grills or sautes some seasoned chicken breasts for a complete meal.

Stir fries are another great way to go, and if you are trying to keep grain servings down, just serve it sans rice - still excellent!

Alisa Fleming
One Frugal Foodie
dairyfreefoodie is offline   Reply With Quote

healthy recipes