"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Master Chef
ISO help making a smoothie

How do you make your smoothie? I have some fresh fruit and plan to pick up some more tomorrow. Right now I have red plums, red and green grapes and nectarines. Do you just put your favorite fruit in the blender and add skim milk and ice?

I need some flavorful but not a lot of ingredient recipes please. I should note...I'm not a big fan of yogurt.

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Head Chef
Got milk? How about a licuado?

*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Master Chef
thanks amy...sounds really good. I'll have to pick up some berries too.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #4
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Yogurt is a great way to thicken up your smoothie. (oops! just saw the last line of your post!)

Are you looking for healthier ingredients? I imagine folding in a bit of whipped cream would thicken it consideradbly, but it would also add to the fat and calories.

I like to make my fruit puree ahead of time, amd adjust the flavor of the component of the smoothie apart from everything else. You can be as simple as pureeing different types of fruits together until you find a blend that you like, or cooking it with a little bit of sugar or honey to sweeten it a little bit.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
when I make smoothies for the kids I do sometimes use a bit of vanilla yogurt, but you can leave it out, I find it gives the smoothie a little kick. I use Kern's nectars also..I put in the yogurt, add a half can of peach nectar or more, (there are all flavors,) sliced or chunked peaches, a little honey and some milk any kind you perfer, whizz it up and serve the kids love it.
The kids and the rest of the gang, love strawberry,banana, pear,I even added some cantaloupe to one and they drank that as well..Just find berries or anything you really enjoy and go for it.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I use some fat free vanilla yogurt, the fruit, pomegranate juice, and some ice.

I want to say about 1/2 cup of yogurt, 1/2 cup of fruit, 1/2 cup ice, to 1 cup of juice (maybe - I can't remember but I quit measuring).

I see where you don't like yogurt in which case you would just have to add more ice, or possibly freeze your fruit to make it thicker. You might be surprised at how fat free vanilla yogurt tastes in a smoothie - quite different than by itself.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #7
Head Chef
Oops. Wanted to mention, if you click on the numbers on the blender, you will find all kinds of flavors and combos. The not so healthy (but sound so good) peanut butter & the chocolate ice cream with cherries, milk etc. The healthier ones have yogurt, honey and/or fruits.

I receive recipes from BHG. This one's not a smoothie but, the Mango yogurt pops look yum.

*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
In summer I keep bags of frozen tropical fruit ( diced pineapple/papaya/mango) and berries ( raspberries/strawberries/boysenberries) that are specifically made for salsa's, smoothies etc. A couple of handfuls of either variety, some low fat milk and icecream ( or yogurt, normally Greek in our house) makes for a yummy smoothie. The frozen fruit provides the ice factor too.
If Im feeling decadent, I use the glorious French flavoured syrups, like Monin, and proper icecream to add to a smoothie. Then I do 20 mins on exercycle or just feel plain guilty.
In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 AM   #9
Assistant Cook
Great, now I'm in the mood for a smoothie! Unfortunately it's 2:00 in the morning here and I don't think my family would appreciate my running the blender right now

Does everyone freeze their fruit before blending or have you had success just with fresh fruit and ice?
Happy Cooking!
Check out our Food Word of the Day game.
EcoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
I prefer to freeze at least some of my fruit - whatever will stand up to the freezer the best. Bananas, whole berries, whole grapes all work well - and by using fruit to freeze the smoothie, you don't get that watered down taste from the ice. As far as a base goes, milk is good, but I also like a sweet juice as a base, such as grape, apple or even mango juice. Milk will give you more of a milkshake feel, but the fruit juice is cleaner and usually more refreshing (and healthier feeling).

Don't be afraid to throw stranger stuff in there too... throw in some spinach leaves, add a carrot - my wife likes to add flax seeds. Whatever sounds good to you, give it a shot.

evenstranger is offline   Reply With Quote