"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 07-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #21
Master Chef

5'3" and 195 lbs! I graduated high school at 5'6" and 92 lbs., litterally. I joined the U.S. Navy at 19 years of age at a whopping 103 lbs. And could I ever eat a ton of food. Then (heavy, heavy sigh here), my metabolism changed at around age 22. I gained 15 lbs. of muscle in 2 weeks. Then I got married and slowed down the physically demanding life-style some. Now it's a fairly solid (except for the belly) 5'6" at 220. And I eat moderate meals.

I'm all for the high caloric meals, but have to caution you to use high calorie and healthy ingredients such as sweet potatoes, olive, seed, or avacado oils, lean meats such as pork, fish, poultry, etc. as beef (though I use and love it) carries risks, and not just from the saturated fats. Don't cut it from your menu, just don't make it the primary ingredient.

Also, if you tolerate them well, use the dairy products, both as a beverage, and in your recipes. And remember, beans are high in nutritional value, starches, and fibers. They are an incredible food that can be made in thousand different ways, everything from baked beans, to bean soup, to Dahl, to bean pie (tastes amazingly like pumpkin pie ).

And don't forget the squash family, especially the winter squashes. And then there are cantaloupes, the nutritional king of the mellons.

Rice is fairly high in caloric content. But use brown rice for the additional nutrients, and whole grain pastas and other whole grain products.

And also, don't pass up any opportunity for the colorful veggies and fruits. It's strawberry season right now, and soon we'll be seeing fresh raspberries, blueberries (a miracle food in itself) and a host of other trully yummy and calorie rich fruits. Then there are the peppers.

There is no reason to eat an unhealthy meal when you can have a superb and healthy one that suits both your pallate and body. Don't be afraid to talk to a nutritionist. And I know you love to cook.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #22
Master Chef

thanks for the response, abj. i sent you a pm. btw, i love to dig into the peanut butter jar, lol. it's so good and so high in calories.
goodweed, thank you, too. ugh, i LOVE healthy food; some of my favorite things are beans, peas, lentils, and nuts (especially toasted almonds ) but the sad thing is is that those things are soooo filling. i love fresh fruit and fresh veggies but i just get sickeningly full if i eat bulky food and in turn can't get in all of the calories i need. its hard to get 4,500 calories in! i have to stick with compact foods or else liquids that leave the stomach quickly. i do drink lots of tomato juice and other juices, and i'll make vegetable-based soups like carrot or tomato and puree them, but i have to add cream and butter to make it of a high caloric value. i eat cream, butter, pasta, potatoes, and lots of red meat, but i balance it out when i can with things like olives and olive oil, natural peanut butter, dried fruits, etc. the dried fruits aren't as filling as fresh and i can tolerate those in small amounts.
i'm going to make an appointment with my dietician again. i just don't know what else to do.
i've had dieticians before. three of them (they all worked together and different ones would see you at different times) actually let me go with not eating veggies and allowed me to use juices instead of eating fresh fruits.
thanks for the pointers, goodweed. i'll keep them in mind.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:55 PM   #23
Master Chef

We've got a couple of hamburgers in my home town that would come close to taking care of your caloric intake needs all by themselves, if you could eat one. There's the Big "C" that weighs in at 3/4 lbs. before the velveeta is added. Then there's the Paul Bunyan, a 5 lb. family burger surved at Antler's Bar & Grill, and I can make 'em any size I want on my Webber. But then I'd have to make home-made buger buns to fit them.

Add to those burgers one of the West Pier's yummy caramel malts and an order of home made fries and you've got a meal to fill a tiger.

I truly wish I did have the answer for you. Dietary needs are so different for so many people. Good luck in your search. You might try perusing the glycemic index (available by Google-search). It will help you find the foods you're looking for.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
P.S. When I was that skinny 19 year old 92 lb. teen, I could eat two Big C's with cheese, with a side of french fries, a malt, and maybe some onion rings to round out the meal. I once had 19 hot dogs with two sides of baked beans and a couple cans of soda-pop after a snowmobile safari with my parents. Man, those were the days.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #24
Master Chef

thanks goodweed. i need to travel up your way and have one of those 5-lb. burgers!
i keep to the high-glycemic foods,i'm cautious. it's pretty easy to figure out. i'm gonna google it like you said, though, to get some ideas. thanks for the pointer.
cannot wait until i'm better so i can return to the yummy stuff like those legumes and mangos! it been awhile since i've had either. not TOO long,.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:46 AM   #25
Master Chef

i called that dagnabbin insurance company and was like, 'look, either you give me this medication or you're going to have to pay for yet another hospitalization. and if something happens to my heart again because i couldn't HAVE that medication, well, THEN i'm gonna sue you.'

don't you know the lady came on the line not 2 minutes later and said it had gotten approved? after almost a month, mind you. gee,.....
i wanted to say that i have my meds now and those may get some weight on me again.
i'm so relieved.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:48 AM   #26
Master Chef

I'm happy for you luvs. I sure hope that helps you! Hang in there--you're trying really hard, which is great!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:19 AM   #27
Master Chef

thank you, PA.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:51 PM   #28
Master Chef

Adding cheese to anything helps.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:30 AM   #29
Master Chef

it sure does, claire! thanks. i love cheese and it's compact calories, so i use a lot of it in my cooking.

i'm up to 89 pounds, guys! going to the doctor tomorrow to see if anything can be done to get some more weight on.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Question ISO High calories recipes (help)

does anyone have a high calories recipes that is simple and easy to make?