"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 05-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
Sous Chef
Just wondering, why are you looking for high-calorie recipes? Here's classic baked Maceroni and cheese.

1/2 pound penne pasta
1/2 cup butter
3 tbsp. minced fresh onion
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/2 tbsps flour
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup bread crumbs

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. 2. Use a Stockpot and boil the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until tender. Drain and reserve. 3. Meanwhile, melt 1/3 cup of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for two minutes. 4. Add the white pepper and flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for three to four minutes. Don't let the flour brown; lower the heat if it does. 5. Add the mustard and milk and bring to a simmer. 6. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will thicken. It should be very thick but not gluey. Add more milk if it thickens too much. 7. Once the sauce has simmered for at least 10 minutes, add the cheddar and gruyere cheeses and half the parmesan. 8. Shut off heat and stir them in. Stir the cheeses in as they melt. Return the pan to low heat if necessary. 9. Working quickly, toss the pasta in the cheese sauce. Toss it well so the sauce gets inside the pasta tubes. 10. Place the pasta in an 11- by 14-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. 11. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese over the top. 12. Melt the remaining butter, stir it into the breadcrumbs and sprinkle this mixture over the top of the pasta. 13. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden and toasted.
You can use any cheeses you want though that will melt, either in addition too or in place of those. If you like franks or sausage, add those for high-calorie along with any herbs you like. Its like pizza in the sense that its a "make it your own" things.

Speaking of pizza, to increase calories in pizza (while making it all the yummier):
-Add eight tablespoons of EVOO to a twenty-four inch dough.
-Use Ranch Dressing or White Sauce in place of classic Red Sauce.
-Use full-fat cheese
-Add spicy red meat toppings like salami, sausage, or pepperoni
-Drizzle olive oil on top (this will create a "roast" on vegitable toppings)
-Stuff the crust with cheese
-Use ranch dressing as dip
- Use sauteed onions
-Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to the dough
-Add sugar or honey to the dough
-Make it a "closed" pizza with crust on top as well as on bottom
-Butter/oil the edges of the crust (as well as the top if you make a closed pizza)

Banana Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #32
Executive Chef
add butter or cream cheese to any thing you cook. Calories are concentrated in fats, oils, butters including nut butters.

bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #33
Sous Chef
Here are some good high-cal recipes (the salmon a la blue sounds really good, as well as the pumpkin choc. chip bread):

Old 05-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #34
Master Chef
I googled and found all kinds of recipes. Personally about the only thing I can think of thats really high in calories that I make are Fried Italian Raviolis. I created these once.....or so I thought.....someone then crushed my creative bone when they told me these were called St. Louis Toasted Raviolis as someone else already created them..... . Oh well............I still take credit for them in my house.

Prepare frozen cheese raviolis as directed on the package. In the meantime, beat up a couple eggs with S & P, in a seperate bowl. On a plate sprinkle bread crumbs and add S & P and a good amount of Italian Seasoning.

When the raviolis are done drain them well and then dip them in the egg and then into the bread crumbs. Then fry them in vegetable oil till golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Immediately, grate fresh parmesan on top. Serve them with your favorite homemade marinara sauce or bottled. I like to buy Paul Newmans and kick it up with a little hot sauce.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #35
Assistant Cook
Smoothies, milk shakes, full fat lattes.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #36
Head Chef
Here is a thread that has quite a few recipes
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #37
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Smoothies, milk shakes, full fat lattes.
Actually, instead of a "regular" latte (which is made with whole milk) it would be easier to get a "breve" latte (made with half-and-half). That adds about 260 calories per sixteen ounce drink but without being more filling because it actually has less protein than a latte made with milk. And about lattes, order with flavored (or nonflavored) sugared syrups because they're about 70 calories per ounce.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #38
Sous Chef
This must be a happy situation for someone named "Luvs Food", hehe.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #39
Assistant Cook
Peanut butter is a dense calorie food. Add a PB sandwich or shake to your daily intake.
Lady C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #40
Master Chef
Uh, forget he recipes, just move in with us Iíll cook good old Ukrainian food, Iíll fatten you up in no time.

This is an old thread, so hope you are doing okay. Hope you are eating regularly, which is, judging by your other posts, is a problem too.

Now a suggestion, back in my old Soviet days the steroids were not readily available (unless you were Soviet Olympic team member ) so I head some friends, the guys who were pumping iron, so to gain weight, mostly muscles, they were drinking a lot of tomato juice. I am no expert, but maybe there is something to this.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote