"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
Master Chef

ISO High calorie recipes (merged)

i'm on a weight-gain diet that isn't quite working.
the doc just bumped my calorie requirements up quite a bit.
please send me your best fattening recipes, but not any dessert recipes. i gravitate towards savory foods.
thanks, luvs

Old 06-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Master Chef

Luvs, I found this website. Not alot of recipes but,it may get you started. Maybe this will help a little.

http://www.hdny.org/recipes.html

Old 06-10-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I'd suggest taking any Atkins designed meal, which are very high in saturated fat content, and add a serving or two of simple carbs to it such as mashed potatoes, steamed or fried white rice, or some type of macaroni product, like buttered egg noodles maybe.

Seeing it's summer, how about chicken legs/thighs with skin and bones, 1/3 pound burgers, or 1/4 pound hot dogs on the grill, a couple of ears of corn with lots of melted butter, and a big old honkin' helping of potato or macaroni salad made with full fat mayonaise? That should put you calorie count right through the ceiling!
Old 06-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

Luvs, here are some of the suggestions in my 1942 BH&G cookbook regarding how to put on weight:

-Be sure to get enough sleep. (there you go!)and add a glass of soothing warm milk.
1.-Be sure to drink at least a quart of whole milk daily.
- a. Add cream to increase the fat content.
- b. Adding a beaten egg, 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, speck salt, 1/4 tsp. vanilla and shake of nutmeg to make an egg nog.
- c. Add malted milk.
- d. Eat some crackes with these milk drinks and you will add more food value.
2. -Immediately upon rising in the morning, drink a glass of cold unsweetened fruit juice. It washes off the mouth surfaces and often stimulates the appetite.
3. - Breakfast: You should have fruit, or fruit juice, cereal with cream and sugar, eggs with at least 2 slices buttered toast, and a glass of mik. Use marmalade on the toast to add calories.
4. - At each meal, eat at least one extra slice of bread and use generous amounts of butter on vegetables, breads, etc.
5. - Eat generously twice a day of the higher calorie vegetables such as white and sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, lima beans, etc.
6. - Eat a dessert both at lunch and dinner.
7. - Use gravies and cream sauces. Extra cream and butter on vegetables add more calories too.
8. - Use mayonnaise generously on salads rather than French dressing or salad dressing.
9. - Cheese is another concentrated food which is high in calories and furnishes the excellent food values of milk. Use some kind of cheese each day either with salad or dessert.
10. - Because Vitamin B stimulates the appetite, include some material which will furnish large quantities such as:
-a. 1 or 2 yeast cakes daily. Eat as a sandwich between crackers, or mix with cold water, milk, or tomato juice and drink.
-b. Wheat germ. sprinkle 2 Tbsp. on your breakfast cereal.
-c. Take vitamin capsules.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Too bad you don't like desserts... I'm an expert on how to gain weight from those!

Cheese and bacon pie
9" pie crust
6 eggs
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. cheddar cheese
8 oz. broiled/pan-fried bacon

Utensils:

• oven
  • measuring cup
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (218 degrees Celsius).
  2. Whisk eggs and cream in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
  3. Stir cheese into egg mixture.
  4. Sprinkle bacon over pie crust.
  5. Pour egg mixture over bacon.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes at 435 degrees Fahrenheit (223 degrees Celsius). Then reduce heat to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (162 degrees Celsius) and bake for approximately 35 minutes longer. Quiche is finished cooking when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  7. Let the quiche cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Serves: 8

Serving size: 1/8 of pie

Nutritional analysis (per serving):

605 calories
20 g protein
52 g fat
732 mg sodium
164 mg calcium

Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.

This high-calorie, high-protein meal is quick and easy to make.

Prep time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 (10.75 oz.) can broccoli cheese soup
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. whole milk
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
3 (6 oz.) cooked chicken breasts, diced
6 oz. cooked fettuccine
1 1/2 c. steamed broccoli

Creamy Fettuccine

1. In a hot skillet, melt butter and sauté garlic for 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir constantly to avoid burning the garlic.
  2. Stir in soup, heavy whipping cream, whole milk, and Parmesan cheese.
  3. Heat sauce mixture until it boils.
  4. Add cooked chicken to sauce mixture.
  5. Reduce heat to low and cover.
  6. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
  7. Toss with fettuccine and steamed broccoli.
You can also try my Clam Chowder... with all the cream and bacon and potatoes in it.. you gain weight just by smelling it.

Good Luck!! I know you'll reach your goals.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

thanks so much for the tips and recipes, guys. i'll be making the salmon and the cheesecake (one of the sweets i DO like), tex., i'll give your idea a try. good ideas!
jkath, i'm gonna start adding cream and malt to my moo. i'm gonna print out the other ideas; there are some great ideas in there.
and pds, your recipes are great! i'll be trying them.
thanks again, guys.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
Sous Chef

lasagna, french fries, biscuits with gravy and sausage, hash browns, there are also some canned drinks that have added sugar, etc for people who are trying to gain weight. Make homemade milkshakes, cokes, potato chips, pizza, in other words all the stuff that I love and can't have.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
Cook

Wouldn't drinking the high-calorie Ensure work the best, and be the most nutritous for you? I would probably just supplement my diet with that. If you eat too many foods that are high in calories, you're going to be ingesting a lot of the bad glycirides and sugars. Ensure is more expensive but I think it might be the most healthy way. Did you doctor mention anything about that?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:47 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxygirl
Wouldn't drinking the high-calorie Ensure work the best, and be the most nutritous for you? I would probably just supplement my diet with that. If you eat too many foods that are high in calories, you're going to be ingesting a lot of the bad glycirides and sugars. Ensure is more expensive but I think it might be the most healthy way. Did you doctor mention anything about that?
i am on a feeding tube and put a formula similar to it through it yet it has a few more calories than that, and i add protein powder to that. they just switched me from nutren w/ promod to compleat w/ promod.
i drink regular supplements, too. (i'm allowed to eat still.)
i don't have to worry about the cost; my insurance company covers my supplies.
thanks, rox.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:51 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyMist
lasagna, french fries, biscuits with gravy and sausage, hash browns, there are also some canned drinks that have added sugar, etc for people who are trying to gain weight. Make homemade milkshakes, cokes, potato chips, pizza, in other words all the stuff that I love and can't have.
good suggestions. i love biscuits and sausage gravy, lasagna, shakes... can't usually have chips or fries cause i have reflux.
as i mentioned above, i'm already drinking supplements.
thank you for the input!