ISO High calorie recipes (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i'm on a weight-gain diet that isn't quite working.:glare:
the doc just bumped my calorie requirements up quite a bit.
please send me your best fattening recipes, but not any dessert recipes. i gravitate towards savory foods.
thanks, luvs:)

I'd suggest taking any Atkins designed meal, which are very high in saturated fat content, and add a serving or two of simple carbs to it such as mashed potatoes, steamed or fried white rice, or some type of macaroni product, like buttered egg noodles maybe.

Seeing it's summer, how about chicken legs/thighs with skin and bones, 1/3 pound burgers, or 1/4 pound hot dogs on the grill, a couple of ears of corn with lots of melted butter, and a big old honkin' helping of potato or macaroni salad made with full fat mayonaise? That should put you calorie count right through the ceiling!

Last edited:
Luvs, here are some of the suggestions in my 1942 BH&G cookbook regarding how to put on weight:

-Be sure to get enough sleep. (there you go!)and add a glass of soothing warm milk.
1.-Be sure to drink at least a quart of whole milk daily.
- a. Add cream to increase the fat content.
- b. Adding a beaten egg, 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, speck salt, 1/4 tsp. vanilla and shake of nutmeg to make an egg nog.
- c. Add malted milk.
- d. Eat some crackes with these milk drinks and you will add more food value.
2. -Immediately upon rising in the morning, drink a glass of cold unsweetened fruit juice. It washes off the mouth surfaces and often stimulates the appetite.
3. - Breakfast: You should have fruit, or fruit juice, cereal with cream and sugar, eggs with at least 2 slices buttered toast, and a glass of mik. Use marmalade on the toast to add calories.
4. - At each meal, eat at least one extra slice of bread and use generous amounts of butter on vegetables, breads, etc.
5. - Eat generously twice a day of the higher calorie vegetables such as white and sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, peas, lima beans, etc.
6. - Eat a dessert both at lunch and dinner.
7. - Use gravies and cream sauces. Extra cream and butter on vegetables add more calories too.
8. - Use mayonnaise generously on salads rather than French dressing or salad dressing.
9. - Cheese is another concentrated food which is high in calories and furnishes the excellent food values of milk. Use some kind of cheese each day either with salad or dessert.
10. - Because Vitamin B stimulates the appetite, include some material which will furnish large quantities such as:
-a. 1 or 2 yeast cakes daily. Eat as a sandwich between crackers, or mix with cold water, milk, or tomato juice and drink.
-b. Wheat germ. sprinkle 2 Tbsp. on your breakfast cereal.
-c. Take vitamin capsules.

Too bad you don't like desserts... I'm an expert on how to gain weight from those!

Cheese and bacon pie
9" pie crust
6 eggs
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. cheddar cheese
8 oz. broiled/pan-fried bacon

Utensils:

• oven
  • measuring cup
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees (218 degrees Celsius).
  2. Whisk eggs and cream in a medium mixing bowl until well blended.
  3. Stir cheese into egg mixture.
  4. Sprinkle bacon over pie crust.
  5. Pour egg mixture over bacon.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes at 435 degrees Fahrenheit (223 degrees Celsius). Then reduce heat to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (162 degrees Celsius) and bake for approximately 35 minutes longer. Quiche is finished cooking when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  7. Let the quiche cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Serves: 8

Serving size: 1/8 of pie

Nutritional analysis (per serving):

605 calories
20 g protein
52 g fat
732 mg sodium
164 mg calcium

Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.

This high-calorie, high-protein meal is quick and easy to make.

Prep time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 (10.75 oz.) can broccoli cheese soup
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. whole milk
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
3 (6 oz.) cooked chicken breasts, diced
6 oz. cooked fettuccine
1 1/2 c. steamed broccoli

Creamy Fettuccine

1. [*]
    In a hot skillet, melt butter and sauté garlic for 2 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir constantly to avoid burning the garlic.
  2. Stir in soup, heavy whipping cream, whole milk, and Parmesan cheese.
  3. Heat sauce mixture until it boils.
  4. Add cooked chicken to sauce mixture.
  5. Reduce heat to low and cover.
  6. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
  7. Toss with fettuccine and steamed broccoli.
You can also try my Clam Chowder... with all the cream and bacon and potatoes in it.. you gain weight just by smelling it.

Good Luck!! I know you'll reach your goals.

thanks so much for the tips and recipes, guys. i'll be making the salmon and the cheesecake (one of the sweets i DO like), tex., i'll give your idea a try. good ideas!
jkath, i'm gonna start adding cream and malt to my moo. i'm gonna print out the other ideas; there are some great ideas in there.
and pds, your recipes are great! i'll be trying them.
thanks again, guys.

Last edited:
lasagna, french fries, biscuits with gravy and sausage, hash browns, there are also some canned drinks that have added sugar, etc for people who are trying to gain weight. Make homemade milkshakes, cokes, potato chips, pizza, in other words all the stuff that I love and can't have. :(

Wouldn't drinking the high-calorie Ensure work the best, and be the most nutritous for you? I would probably just supplement my diet with that. If you eat too many foods that are high in calories, you're going to be ingesting a lot of the bad glycirides and sugars. Ensure is more expensive but I think it might be the most healthy way. Did you doctor mention anything about that?

roxygirl said:
Wouldn't drinking the high-calorie Ensure work the best, and be the most nutritous for you? I would probably just supplement my diet with that. If you eat too many foods that are high in calories, you're going to be ingesting a lot of the bad glycirides and sugars. Ensure is more expensive but I think it might be the most healthy way. Did you doctor mention anything about that?

i am on a feeding tube and put a formula similar to it through it yet it has a few more calories than that, and i add protein powder to that. they just switched me from nutren w/ promod to compleat w/ promod.
i drink regular supplements, too. (i'm allowed to eat still.)
i don't have to worry about the cost; my insurance company covers my supplies.
thanks, rox.

Last edited:
IcyMist said:
lasagna, french fries, biscuits with gravy and sausage, hash browns, there are also some canned drinks that have added sugar, etc for people who are trying to gain weight. Make homemade milkshakes, cokes, potato chips, pizza, in other words all the stuff that I love and can't have. :(

good suggestions. i love biscuits and sausage gravy, lasagna, shakes... can't usually have chips or fries cause i have reflux.
as i mentioned above, i'm already drinking supplements.
thank you for the input!:)

Last edited:
Some great ideas...

Cream of Cilantro
3 c Plain yogurt
2 c Cilantro leaves
1 c Half and half
1/2 c Chopped green onion
1 tb Minced fresh parsley
3 c Chicken broth
Cilantro sprigs for garnish
Tortilla chips, crushed, for garnish
Sour cream for garnish

1.Blend yogurt, cilantro, half and half, onion and parsley in a processor until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in broth. Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to mingle.
2.Best served chilled, but can also be heated VERY GENTLY over low heat - heat slowly or the yogurt will curdle.

Oyster and Brie Bisque
2 sticks Butter, unsalted
1 c Celery, chopped
1 c Onion, chopped
White pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 c AP flour
1 lb Brie cheese, cut into small pieces, rind removed
6 c Cold water
2 c Heavy cream
36 Shucked oysters, with liquor
1/2 c Champagne
1/4 c Dry sherry
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1.In a large soup pot, melt one stick of butter. Add the celery, onions, white pepper and cayenne. Stir and cook over low heat until vegetables begin to soften.
2.In another pan, over low heat, make a roux by combining 8 tb melted butter and the flour to make a base for thickening the soup. Cook at least 2 minutes, stirring constantly, so the floury taste is eliminated.
3.Add the roux to the vegetables and mix thoroughly to combine. Add the cheese and mix to melt.
4.Add the water, cream, oysters and their liquid. Simmer the soup until the oysters begin to curl just slightly - do not overcook or the oysters will be tough. Add the champagne and sherry and heat through. Serve warm with bacon crumbles and fresh bread.

Avocado Veloute
6 tb Butter
1 c Finely minced scallions, green part only
2 Garlic cloves, mashed
2 lg Ripe avocados
1 Lemon, juiced
4 tb Flour
6 c Hot chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
3 Egg yolks
1 c Heavy cream
1/2 c Heavy cream, whipped

1.In a small heavy saucepan melt 2 tb butter. Add the scallions and garlic and cook, covered, over low heat for 5 minutes or until the scallions are very soft but not browned. Remove them to a blender.
2.Add the coarsely mashed pulp of avocados. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the lemon juice and blend the mixture at high speed until it becomes a smooth puree. Set aside.
3.In a large saucepan melt the remaining butter. Add the flour and cook the mixture, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes without browning. Add the hot chicken stock and whisk until the soup becomes slightly thick and very smooth. Season the soup with salt and pepper and let it simmer, partially covered, for 30 to 40 minutes.
4.In a mixing bowl combine the egg yolks and cream; blend them well. Fold the avocado puree into the cream and yolk mixture. Pour the mixture into the soup and, stirring constantly, heat the soup through without letting it come to a boil. Correct the seasoning and keep the soup warm. Serve the soup garnished with chives and a spoonful of whipped cream.

Potato Chowder
6 oz Bacon, cut in small pieces
1 lb Potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 c Onion, diced
4 cloves Garlic, smashed, and chopped
1 c Chicken broth
1 1/2 ts Crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
4 c Milk, room temperature (can use part cream)
1 tb Cornstarch
Salt and pepper to taste
3 c Corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1/2 c Red pepper, diced
2 tb Green onion, thinly sliced, white and green parts
2 tb Parsley, finely chopped

1.Cook bacon in a large dutch oven until just crispy. Remove bacon (for garnish) and reserve some of the fat.
2.Add the potatoes, onion and garlic. Stir to coat with fat. Cook for about 5 minutes until onions become softened.
3.Add chicken broth and red pepper flakes. Cook over medium until potatoes are sl. tender.
4.Stir two tablespoons of milk into the cornstarch. Add to the potato mixture and cook briefly. Add remaining milk, S & P to taste.
5.Bring mixture to a low boil, stirring, and allow to thicken. Reduce heat and stir in the corn and peppers.
6.Cook several more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with bacon crumbles, green onions and parsley.

Avocado Mousse
1 pk Unflavored gelatin
1/4 c Coconut rum (can use plain)
1 Ripe avocado
1 c Lemon or vanilla yogurt
3 Egg whites
1/4 c Sugar
Chopped pistachios

1.Sprinkle gelatin over rum in a small saucepan; let stand for 5 minutes to soften gelatin. Heat, stirring constantly, over low heat until gelatin dissolves, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
2.Cut avocado into quarters. Puree avocado and yogurt in a blender. With blender running, slowly pour in gelatin mixture and continue to process until thoroughly blended. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
3.Beat egg whites in a mixer bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar and continue to beat until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into avocado mixture. Spoon into serving bowls and refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours. Sprinkle with pistachios just before serving.

Roquefort Cheesecake
2 tb Butter
Crust:
1/2 c Breadcrumbs, toasted
1/4 c Freshly grated parmesan
Filling:
1/2 lb Bacon, fried until crisp, crumbled, and 1 tb drippings reserved
1 Onion, minced
28 oz Cream cheese, room temp.
1/2 lb Roquefort cheese
4 Eggs
1/3 c Whipping cream
1/2 ts Salt
2-3 drops hot pepper sauce

Preheat oven to 325F. Butter a 9" springform pan.
1.Mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle mixture in pan, turning to coat. Refrigerate.
2.Using 1 tb reserved bacon drippings, saute onion over low heat until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
3.Mix cream cheese and Roquefort in blender or processor until smooth.
4.Add eggs, cream, salt and pepper sauce and process until smooth.
5.Blend onion and bacon crumbles into the cheese filling; filling should not be totally smooth.
6.Pour into prepared pan. Set pan in roasting pan for a bain marie. Add enough hot water to come halfway up sides of the springform pan.
7.Bake 1 hour and 20 minutes. Turn oven off and let cheesecake rest in oven with door ajar for 1 hour. Transfer to rack, cool to room temp.

luvs i'd say eat a ton of candy bars but you don't eat chocolate anymore. that should be againt the law you know lol. j/k.

delicious! these sound awesome, kansas, especially the rorquefort cheesecake recipe. thanks.
middie, i used to eat candy bars to keep my weight up a couple years ago. they were perfect: loaded with calories and compact so they didn't fill me up too much. yum, i loved kit-kats, big kats, twix bars, almond hershey's....:-p

I'm not sure if these will help, but here are some high calorie/fat recipes I have.

Cheese Meatloaf
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
3/4 cup onion, minced
1/4 cup green pepper, minced
2 eggs
2 lbs. gound beef
2 T. horseradish sauce
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. mustard
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup catsup
16 or so slices of american cheese

Beat eggs slightly. Add beef and other ingredients except cheese.

Layer with cheese in loaf pan ending with meat on top and serving enough cheese to cover top layer. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Return until cheese melts. Let stand a few minutes before serving.

Fiesta Skillet Dinner
taco seasoning mix
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup uncooked instant rice
1/2 cup water
1 (14 1/2oz.) cans chunky tomatoes with seasoning
4oz. (1cup) cheddar cheese, cubed 1/2"
tortilla chips

Cook ground beef until browned. Drain off fat and add seasoning packet. Stir in rice, water and tomatoes with juice. Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.

Stir in cheese and serve with chips.

Hash Brown Casserole
1 packet (32oz.) frozen hash browns or tater tots, thawed
1/2 cup butter melted
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (8oz.) carton sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
2 cups crushed corn flakes

add in ideas: ground beef or shredded chicken, cooked

Combine potatoes, onion, soup, sour cream, meat and cheese and stir.

Put into casserole dish. Combine cornflakes and margarine. Sprinkle on top.

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

Homestyle Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy

3/4 pound tenderized beef round steak cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
flour
salt and pepper
2 T. Crisco
Gravy:
1 1/3 cup milk
1/8 t. basil
2 T. flour
1/8 t. black pepper

Cut round steak into 4 serving sizes. Season with flour salt and pepper. Dip in egg white and dredge with flour.

Add crisco to pan. Heat and Add meat and cook until browned on both sides and no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Transfer meat to platter and keep warm.

In a bowl whisk milk, basil, flour and pepper until smooth. Pour into hot skillet. Cook stirring constantly until gravy comes to a boil. Boil stirring for 1 minutes. If needed add a little milk to thin. Top meat and serve.

Michael's Delightful Dish
1 pound ground beef
dash garlic salt
dash pepper
1 T. sugar
2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
1 (5 to 8 oz.) package noodles (I like shells, penne or bow tie with this)
1/4 to 1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 (8oz.) carton sour cream
1 (3oz.) package cream cheese
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
butter

Brown beef and pour off excess fat. Add garlic salt, pepper, sugar and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. In the meantime cook noodles according to package directions. While sauce and noodles are cooking, blend onion, sour cream, and cream cheese. Grease a 9x13 inch casserole dish with butter and then make alternate layers of noodles, meat sauce, sour cream mixture, and grated cheese, ending with cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350.

Creamed Chicken and Biscuits
1/2 large onion
1 1/2 t. butter
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 (10 3/4oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped pimiento
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
6 frozen biscuits, thawed (I use refrigerated canned biscuits)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease the bottom and sides of a 11x7 inch baking dish. Chop the onion. Heat butter in skillet. Stir in onion and saute until tender. Combine onion, chicken, soup, sour cream, milk, and pimiento in medium bowl and mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven. Sprinkle baked layer with 3/4 cup of the cheese. Arrange biscuits over top and spinkle remaining cheese over that. Bake until biscuits are golden brown and sauce is bubbly, about 20 minutes longer.

Pineapple upside down biscuits (Paula Deen)
1 (10-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
10 maraschino cherries
1 (12-ounce) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 count)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Grease 10 cups of a muffin tin. Strain the can of crushed pineapple, save juice for later. Combine the pineapple, sugar, and butter, and mix well. Divide the pineapple mixture among the muffin cups. Place a cherry in the center of each muffin cup, making sure cherry hits bottom of cup. Place 1 biscuit in each cup on top of sugar and pineapple mixture. Spoon 1 teaspoon reserved pineapple juice over each biscuit. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool for 2 minutes. Invert the pan onto a plate to release the biscuits. Serve warm.

Heather's Special K Bars (peanut butter is full of calories and fat)
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
6 cups special K cereal
almond bark, chocolate chips, or white chocolate and chocolate chips mixed together

Slowly boil all ingredients then add the special K. Then you just put in a greased long cake pan and let sit. Top with melted almond bark and chocolate chips or with white chocolate and chocolate chips mixed together. Done, Easy

Homemade custard over pond cake

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. flour
pinch salt
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 t. vanilla
lump butter
pound cake

scald milk and let cook to warm. Combine sugar, flour, salt and beaten eggs. Very gradually add to warm milk and heat over a double boiler. Continure cooking until thick, stirring constantly. Spoon should come out well coated. After cooking add vanilla and butter. Serve over pound cake.

Vanilla Milk Shake

Blend until smooth, 4 cups good quality vanilla ice cream, 2 t. vanilla extract, 8 T. sugar, 2 cups milk, less for thicker milkshakes.

Luvs, I'm so jealous!!! I have a love/hate thing for you right now. :) **from someone who always has to watch what they eat to NOT gain weight. *sigh* I will have to live vicariously through you.:ROFLMAO:

Can you do me a favor and go eat a really good, but HUGE super-sandwich with a side of macaroni salad for me? And maybe a bag of chips and REGULAR coke! I would love to "have" that for lunch today...instead of my plain salad and soup. :wacko:

abj, thanks for the ideas! much appreciated.
and htc, if i go eat that sammich for you right now will you forgive me?:LOL:

i have been using some of these ideas in my cooking, incorporating them into what is make. thanks for all the help, guys. they definately help keep my weight higher than it would be without the extra calories. i am making kansas's roquefort cheesecake as soon as i get the cheeses and jkath's malted milk as soon as i get the malt.
i have been eating soooo much food and drinking whole milk and juice like there's no tomorrow and i lost 18 pounds instead of putting on the weight i need to. i'm getting so frustrated. i just don't get it. i put excessive amounts of cream and butter into anything i can. i just don't get it.:blink: i have reflux and some stomach troubles and that isn't helping one bit.
my insurance company won't cover the medication that can fix things even though i got a pre-auth. sigh. gotta call monday and complain. the story of my life. fighting with my insurance company.

Last edited:
Luvs, my mother has very bad reflux problems. She has been hospitalized many times with that and some other stomach problems. She has been to specialist all over trying to fix her problems, but hasn't had much luck. Several years ago a friend of hers told her to try charcoal. She eventually found that takeing the charcoal along with 2 other over the counter medications together seem to work very well for her. It took her 15 years to finally find something that worked better than the medications that the doctors gave her. She can't eat anything acidic or garlic. She dorpped so much weight and is in the same position as you. She is 5'3" and weighs 95lbs. She trys to eat, but when she does her stomach doesn't agree. For lunch she usually digs into a jar of peanut butter to get calories.

Back
Top Bottom