ISO low-cost prescription site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
The person who said getting old wasn't for sissies was totally correct.

Last month I had the privilege(?) of achieving Medicare status. Yeah, rah! Applause please.:wacko:

As a result, one of the medications I've been taking the last 14+ years is not on the Medicare "approved" list, which means I have to pay the full price out of my pocket. Now, instead of $15 for a 90-day fill to (checking with my local Walgreen's) $150 for the same quantity. Pew!

Does anyone know of any mail order or Internet site that I can check with to find a lower rate? I have about 30 days left in my current supply so I'm not up against a wall...yet.

Katie can you find out which medication of the same is approved by Medicare? Also in Kentucky, do you qualify for Medicaid? They pick up the cost for me on any medication Medicare doesn't pay for. I have one that cost $503.00 for one month's supply. Medicaid pays for 80% of it and my health insurance picks up the rest. :angel:

I am in the same place. Medicare doesn't cover one med. I found Costco to be the best price locally. I had to go to several outlets to get prices for comparison.

Do you have VA privileges? Can't beat the prices there.

That happened to me also Katie. After talking with my Dr. he prescribed another med that did the same thing and is covered. That's where to start.

I wish it were that easy. It took what seemed like forever to establish a medication that was effective and I didn't have a reaction to. I'm pretty much stuck with what I am taking.

Katie can you find out which medication of the same is approved by Medicare? Also in Kentucky, do you qualify for Medicaid? They pick up the cost for me on any medication Medicare doesn't pay for. I have one that cost $503.00 for one month's supply. Medicaid pays for 80% of it and my health insurance picks up the rest. :angel:

Kentucky no longer has Medicaid since they established a state insurance plan, so that's out. We have private insurance. So, here, it's the state plan or private insurance.

AARP and some other organizations offer a free prescription card that gives discounts. I've also gotten fliers in the mail with discount scrip cards. Some find that Canada and Mexico have much cheaper meds, I remember researching them for my mom. Can't remember the exact sites, but there are a bunch of them that will ship to the US.

Last edited:
I am having the exact same issue with my wife. Except I will tell you the medicine. Relpax. Its a migraine RX and its very expensive.
It was on the formulary last year and the years before that. It is just now, this year, they removed it from the formulary. We did not check before re-signing with our current Medicare provider. My bad!

Since its not on the formulary and she has Medicare Advantage, she has two(2) options.
1) Pay full price.
2) Appeal and have the doctor send a letter regarding the RX and why she must have it. Get an exemption.
We are waiting on the insurance companies response.

If you are on Medicare and have RX benefits, you have a private insurance company providing your Medicare health care needs. Part "D" prescription benefits.
Medicare alone, for the record does not cover RX. But, Medicare Advantage plans do.
So, get your doctor to write the letter.
I do not know if that will even work, but its at least an attempt.

Next November, look at the formulary BEFORE you sign on with any Medicare provider. Make sure all your meds are on the formulary.
Go to Medicare.gov: the official U.S. government site for Medicare and look for "Find Health and Drug Plans".
Personalize your search so you can save your entries. This is where you will find out if your drug is covered or not.

You can also look for "extra help" in this same section. Just because Medicaid is not available in you're state, does not mean you cannot receive extra help.
Unfortunately, most folks make to much money to qualify for extra help.
But try and see. You never will know unless you try.
Do this every Nov, to be certain you have the best policy available for your zip code.
Never remain loyal to any Medicare provider. (actually any ins company) Check everything available every single year in Nov. Make sure you make an informed decision every year.
If you qualify for extra help, there is no reason to shop your plan each year as the extra help pays for what Medicare plans do not.
Good luck and keep us posted.

There are sites where you can buy medications without a prescription, usually off shore and usually less expensive. Whether they would have the med you need can only be determined by looking at each site.

I won't recommend that you buy at an off shore site. That would be unethical of me.

I have a disease that has been 'disappeared' (read Cure Unknown by Pam Weintraub) and have belonged to many of their forums---- Lyme disease. Through them I do know that many people do have to get their medications off shore with no prescription and the names of the good and reputable ones are given to other Lymies.

Sometimes the manufacturer of the Rx has a program to help pay for their meds. One of my co-pays went from $50/month to $5.

Last edited:
Sometimes the manufacturer of the Rx has a program to help pay for their meds. One of my co-pays went from $50/month to $5.

Yup. We looked into this for a medication SO takes. Apparently the offer does not extend to all states. MA was excluded.

When my husband died and I no longer had health insurance my wonderful Dr. gave me his office samples he had on hand for the prescriptions I needed. Anyone remember Dr. Welby? He was much like him, God rest his soul.

Yes, please do.

"But advocates for cross-border drug buying point out that most medications purchased from reputable Canadian or European pharmacies are the identical medications -- brand names as well as generics -- that are available at your local drugstore. In addition, those medicines, including some of the blockbuster drugs advertised on the network evening news programs, may be made not just in North America but also in Europe, South America, the Middle East, or Asia."

But, as I said---- you have to know your sources and trust who is telling you if it's a good offshore pharmacy.

I do and I do. But don't buy there unless you absolutely KNOW they're safe.

Some of them will ask for a prescription. People just leave that blank and they still get the med.

Some will have a 'tame' physician who will write you a prescription.

Some you don't need either.

Do not do this unless you know your source!

Now waiting for PF to come on and warn everybody. :) And she'll be right. :)

I've used "Canada Drugs" and "Get Canadian Drugs" with good results. Many of their prices are significantly lower than U.S. prices. You can go to their websites, and check out prices on all their drugs in Search. You just need to send in or fax a prescription.

Since its not on the formulary and she has Medicare Advantage, she has two(2) options.
1) Pay full price.
2) Appeal and have the doctor send a letter regarding the RX and why she must have it. Get an exemption.
We are waiting on the insurance companies response.

Already been through the appeals process, including letter and backup information. I was soundly denied. Was told that the drug I take is totally unnecessary for women over 65. I beg to differ. I was off the medication for 5 weeks before, during and after my recent knee replacement and, believe me, I NEED it. But that's another argument.

I checked out both the Canadian sites, merstar, and my drug did not show up on either place.

Looks like I still have some sleuthing to do.

I wish it were that easy. It took what seemed like forever to establish a medication that was effective and I didn't have a reaction to. I'm pretty much stuck with what I am taking.

You may want to contact the pharmaceutical company that makes the drug to see if you can get it for free. :angel:

Yup. We looked into this for a medication SO takes. Apparently the offer does not extend to all states. MA was excluded.

Because we have a very liberal and generous Medicaid program. Thanks to Gov. Romney. ;) Can't afford your medicine? Mass Health will pay for them. :angel:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom