"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks , one good thing about this diet is it forces me to eat better. have been making homemade versions of many dishes. i.e. today i made tomatillo salsa. no salt like the store bought and boy does it taste delicious. also eating more fresh veggies.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I like to cook from scratch and rarely use mixes, but, I ran across this one and it is really good. The thing that shocked me is the mix has no salt in it, although it tastes like it does, very flavorful. I often make it with 1 lb ground turkey and 1 can of white kidney beans (rinsed well to remove most of the salt) instead of the two pounds of boneless skinless chicken called for in the instructions. the hot pepper comes in its own pouch so you can make it mild or spicy.

Oh and I love salt and am not on a low salt diet, and it is still good. Makes a really quick meal. I found it near the gravy mixes in the grocery store.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

thank you so much. i shop on line at von's market. once a month, found it and put in my cart. will look forward to it.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to magnoliasouth
Lightbulb

I make my own spice mixes (old bay, taco seasoning, instant onion soup mix, blackening, barbecue spice rub, etc.) and always eliminate the salt from the recipe. It usually doesn't make much difference when it's measured out.

I don't have any recipes to share because I use any and all recipes, but just eliminate the salt altogether (except for baking leavening of course). Really no one even notices. I have some picky eaters in this house too, so that says a lot. I have not told anyone in the house that they can't add salt, but I happily discovered that the salt shaker never needed refilling, so that spoke volumes to me.

When it comes to bouillon in recipes, I use Wyler's Sodium Free instant bouillon. It only comes in chicken and beef flavor, which is unfortunate for veggie lovers. I still love it! Walmart used to carry it, but dropped it as a product which is too bad. It's still available though because my local Winn Dixie carries it.

If you like spicy, then when you start dropping salt try adding a little spice to your dishes in place of it, or if you like garlic or onions, try adding more of those. It may help you adjust a bit faster because they all add great flavor.

Happy Cooking!