ISO way to gain weight..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone.

Her med is Concerta...a stimulant. We've tried Strattara (non stimulant) and it didn't work. Concerta is really doing well for her.

I haven't gotten the Dr info yet. Her mom made a copy for us and we'll get it on Friday when we pick her up.

She is losing weight..not gaining. She eats. She just isn't hungry that much, except first thing in the morning BEFORE meds. I should plan on making more pancakes for her...I could freeze them and she could nuke them...I just taught her how to make scrambled eggs and she LOVES to cook on her own, so that's an option. She's a bacon FREAK so I should start having that around all the time.

She's also small to begin with. Her dad (DH) is 37 and is 5'7", 120 lbs (if he's lucky).

We also stress good eating. While I am NOT a good example (I don't really like very many fruits/veggies), we make sure she gets plenty of them, with a good understanding of why she needs them.

We also stress good eating. While I am NOT a good example (I don't really like very many fruits/veggies), we make sure she gets plenty of them, with a good understanding of why she needs them.
Oh gosh, Angie, I hope you didn't get the feeling anyone was questioning whether you feed your daughter a healthy diet. Far from it - I think it came through loud and clear that her meds, which she needs to focus properly, are interfering with her appetite. In our society, sadly, more parents are dealing with the opposite problem with their kids' weight! Sounds like you have identified when her appetite is at it's peak so that's half the battle. I hope some of the suggestions have helped. Keep us up on how Cora does. It sounds like she's overcome a lot with her studies and it would be a shame for her to have a setback through having to go off the meds.

Oh no! I'm just say that my eating habits suck, and I don't want her to learn them! LOL!

I want her to understand the importance of a balanced meal so she doesn't end up with the weight problems I had/still deal with.

We have a child with ADHD as well, so I know what you are going through. When on meds, they just hardly ever eat.

One thing that needs to be specified is whether she needs to gain muscle mass, or fat. These are two entirely separate things and need to be approached differently.

For muscle mass, stick with proteins, but preferably those that are not terribly filling. Milk is good for this, as is any combination of grain and legume (peanut butter on whole wheat bread, rice and lentils, etc.).

For fat gain, oils, fats and carbs will do the trick.

But you do need to be clear on which is desired.

Last thing: can she be taken off the meds on weekends, leaving her functional for school? Or even one day of the weekend?

In my mind there is a disconnect here.

Why will the doc take the child off the meds if she does not gain weight? You say the meds are helping her, great. I would want to know what his reasons would be for discontinuing the medication.

Seems too me it is time for a discussion with the physician about her weight before starting force feeding.

You, her mom, and the doc need to get together and understand what that lovely little girl needs. And if the doc doesn't want to spend a few minutes with you, find another one.

Just my take on things, good luck znd God bless.

I would start her off every morning with this milkshake, consisting of 2 scoops of vanilla
ice cream, 1 lg egg, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1 envelope of breafast drink, and milk. this
will gain weight, I know I am 6` 7" after surgery I dropped down to 152 lbs, I started drinking that milkshake an my dietion said that she could`nt improve on that.

My son was on concerta. It worked really well but we also had the same appetite problem. We played with the dosage and timing and finally got a mix that worked for him. I wouldn't push the food when the med was working but when it started to wear off he would be hungry and would eat lots of stuff then. He was very skinny as a child. He has grown up to a fine young man and has weaned down the stimulants to a minimal dose before he goes to work. When not at work, he finds he can control himself reasonably well. At work he needs to focus a bit more than just hanging around the house. Now he has a slight problem the other way. He's developed a little paunch. I see his eating habits and he still eats like he did on the meds. I agree that you need to offer healthy, full calorie foods all the time. Be careful of when she eats so she doesn't get into some unhealthy habits. She's at an age where eating disorders first show up so it will be critical to keep her confident and in control. Don't make it a big deal. I would also consult with a nutritionist and get a second opinion. One doctor's idea of what is best is not necessarily the right thing for her. I'm glad she is doing better in school. I hope you can get the help you need.

Angie, weight loss is very common on Concerta (which I am sure your doctor has shared with you). It really is a wonderful med though and if it is working for her, then that is important. Lots of folks take their kids off the meds during school breaks which often helps the kids to gain back some of the weight they have lost. She is not at a dangerous spot YET, but I do see why there is concern. If you can make sure she gets a really big healthy breakfast that will help to keep her weight stable. Don't push the bacon too much though, yikes! Sodium and fat mostly. She does need protein though to hold her through the day, What about having different things for breakfast? I often like to have some sliced turkey on my toast in the mornings. A few ounces of some lunch meat might help. How about scrambled eggs with cheese in them?
Later in the day when the med is wearing off she can eat more too. At lunch when she is not that hungry, can you tell her she needs to try to eat at least a bite or two of each food group? She doesn't need to stuff herself, but if you packed her a couple of crackers and cheese, and a couple celery or carrot sticks and a handful of nuts or trail mix, that would help too. Some nibbly things that don't feel like you are filling up a bunch.

I say that you should speak with a nutritionist rather than turning to us. I could give you advice based on my experiences. But I know that my eating habits from my youth helped push me into adult-onset diabetes, from eating to many carbs and too much refined flour and sugars (and I was never a huge sweet-things eater).

There are a host of good, flavorful, and healthy foods that can be made and served as meals, snacks, and deserts. But it does take a bit of work, to know what are great foods, and how to prepare and serve them.

Rather than pushing carbs such as pasta or bread, serve whole-grain varieties of the same, along with fresh and colorful fruits and veggies.

If you want to give her dairy, then maybe a good cheese with some freshly sliced strawberries will do the trick, or fresh and wild blueberries, or raspberries with a bit of ice cream will give her what she wants and needs.

Home made fruit smoothies, with a brick of silken tofu is a wonderfully flavored drink made from fresh fruits, a bit of sweetener or fruit juice, and tofu. It tastes amazing and is chock full of nutrients, and the stuff that helps bodies grow. It's quick to make, quick to drink, and will satisfy her while she's concentrating on whatever it is that she's concentrating on.

I guess that would be the thing I'd offer most, smoothies made with tofu and fruits, or yogurt and fruits, or even ice cream and fruits. It doesn't require much effort ot eat, and will be able to be consumed even while she's studying, or playing the piano, or whaever. You can also add things like pasturised egg products, or cereals, or veggies such a carrots or beets into the smoothie without it being noticed, once blended in. So you can hide nutritional things in there.

Typically, for my wife, I add fresh or canned pineapple, drained, an apple or pear, or both, a carrot that has been peeled and washed, a banana, a brick of silken tofu, some sugar, and any fresh berries that I have on hand. Sometimes I'll throw in some cinnamon or nutmeg, or vanilla. I then blend it all until it's smooth. She loves it. It satisfies what her body needs, as well as her sweet tooth.

For me, I change the recipe and include pasturised egg product, and change the fruits. I love berries, mixed with apple and pear. I usually leave the banana out of my smothies.

You can also make some interesting vegetable drinks starting with something like tomato juice, or V8. Then add a little dill, or Tobasco sauce, or black pepper. You can add herbs such as basil, or origano as well. You can blend until smooth, or leave a bit chunky. It's all good, and good for you.

Don't ever throw junk food at a child to "fatten her/him up. It teaches bad eating habits, and can result in a host of health issues as they grow older.

And vitamin pills just don't contain the other ingredients such as phyto nutrients, enzymes, and minerals that the real foods from which they are derived contain. Vitamin pills may be used as supplements, but not as substitutes.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
The best thing for her to do is drink ensure its a nutrition shake that helps you gain weight and stay healthy it kept my grand parents alive beyond there years it should work well for her and they taste great.

Angie, all the advice I am giving you is based on a dietician's advice to all the kids I work with. She works with a population of teens that are all on different meds (Concerta and Strattera being two we use often) and she gets almost all of them on an even keel eventually. That doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about, just parroting her. LOL.

Goodweed, your advice to Angie to seek professional help is the right one. None of us here are uniquely qualified to help this young lady out.

I personally disagree (respectfully Goodweed) with the tofu suggestion, just because I know my own skinny minnie would not even LOOK at a smoothie of that description. Yogurt is low fat to begin with but contains the essential fatty acids necessary to brain development in younger folks. Go with that and the berries GW suggests for those times that she doesn't have much appetite.

Back
Top Bottom