"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-31-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Head Chef

ISO way to gain weight..

I just got an email from my 11 yr old step-daughter's mom...Cora has been on meds for ADHD for about 2 years now. She is doing GREAT on them...but she is now down to 57 pounds. The Dr's are very concerned. If she doesn't gain 3 pounds in 3 months, she's off the meds. The meds have helped her so much...she's gone from a D-F student to a A-B student and..well, that's just the start of her accomplishments.

She's a picky eater to begin with. We need more ways for her to gain weight, in a healthy manner.

Suggestions already given to us from her mom are...
"Some of the simple things to do is: if she has celery, add peanut butter to it, if she has vegetables, add cheese/butter. Whole milk, she has to eat bread, no more taking the hamburger off the bun. I bought carnation instant breakfast, so in the mornings when she has her cereal, she will start to drink a class of that also"

We only get her every other weekend...but she already drinks whole milk at our house. We only buy real butter...

Help? My 11 yr old should weigh more than 57 pounds. She is still in size 7 clothes.

Thanks.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
in a word, Pasta!

plenty plenty Pasta :)

(pref with lots of cheese and meatballs)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Senior Cook

ice cream before bed..or any high calorie snack a little while before bedtime.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Also how about protein shakes or even just indulgent smoothies with her choice of fruit - full cream milk, full cream yoghurt, some icecream, and also add some powdered milk to it as well. Grapes are a good weight gainer - trust me there!!!!! - and seem so innocuous.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Master Chef

I do not know about pasta. Look at Italians they eat plenty of pasta, but I haven't seen even one fat person there during my stay there.

To gain weight you need high protein and high carbs foods. Lots of carbs are not really good for a person, but combination might be ok.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Executive Chef

My boyfriend's nephew is having the same problem...same great results, but absolutely no appetite, especially at meal times.

The best suggestion is to let the child eat what they want, when they want. Don't insist on stringent meal times, and don't be overly concerned if all he wants to eat is junk food. Just give him a multi vitamin. Remember, though...let him eat whenever he actually is hungry. Don't get angry if he cannot finish what is put before him. It's the medicine, not his desire to fight with you.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Executive Chef

This is a tough problem, Angie. My 15 year old is 6 feet tall and weighs 112 pounds. The ice cream is a good suggestion - I always have some on hand for him and it's helped get him to the weight he's at. Also, kids on ADHD meds tend to become very focused on their tasks at hand (a blessing to finally be able to), but they often are so focused they don't notice hunger. You might try reminding her to have a snack throughout the day - even to the point of making it and setting it in front of her. I think after a while, the "lack of appetite" side effect subsides but until then, all the above suggestions will help. I'm so glad she's able to be successful at school now. It must have really boosted her self-esteem. Good luck with her weight.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I do not know about pasta. Look at Italians they eat plenty of pasta, but I haven't seen even one fat person there during my stay there.

To gain weight you need high protein and high carbs foods. Lots of carbs are not really good for a person, but combination might be ok.
well I do know that Pasta (lots of) works and hence the Cheese and meatballs for the protein.
Pizza is great to.

btw, Charlie, C Новым Годом

(S novim godom, for those without the Cyrillic font).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
Master Chef

You too YT, you too. may it be a great one.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Head Chef

She LOVES broccoli and cheese. I'll have to add extra cheese sauce next time. Push the peanut butter..butter...etc. She loves pasta too, but not meat so much.