"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Thanks Andy! I want them to be able to go out into the worl one day & be able to feed themselves & their future families well. My brothers 4 kids think food is evil & it drives me crazy that they won't eat or try anything new. They won't even eat applesauce!!

Old 06-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I had watched a special that had shown how what a kid eats affects his/her behavior. The more junk the kid ate the worse he/she acted. They had implemented a healthy eating program in a school especially for kids with behavioral problems (these were kids that were about 2 seconds from juvenile hall) and after just a few days of eating well at school, their behavior drastically changed.

I'm a firm believer that you need to teach your kids to eat healthy and that if you do they will follow that later on in life.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
Head Chef

Our school canteens are all changing over to healthy food only now. My daughter's school has no chips or lollies or junk and they make interesting and healthy treats like melon balls and home made muffins. They also freeze cups of unsweetened pineapple juice and sell them and the kids LOVE them. My daughter was amazed when I made her some at home too!!
Unfortunately high schools here have a long way to go, my older daughter's canteen sells Coca Cola.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:18 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I watched it and thought it was shocking. As a kid growing up I always helped out in the kitchen and cooked "dinner parties" for grandparents when I was in primary school (supervised of course!). I am only 22 but was shocked to see how much attitudes have changed...I didn't think Jamie would've had such a hard task. It was unbelievable!