"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Head Chef

Lactose intolerant...need help

Folks, it's a long story but I have become lactose intolerant in my old age. So of course I can't have some of my favorites like chowder or pudding. I have used vanilla soy milk to drink and someone suggested that I try almond milk though I haven't tried it yet. I was wondering if anyone knows of a milk substitute that I can use that won't add extra non-milk like flavors to foods.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Have you tried lactose free milk?

Old 09-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Head Chef

Actually, no. does it have any off flavors? Right now I am jonesing for some cream of tomato soup.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Actually, no. does it have any off flavors? Right now I am jonesing for some cream of tomato soup.
I don't know. But it's cow's milk so it has to taste better than fake milks. A grandchild, son-in-law and nephew drink it all the time.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
Everymom

Are you able to take Lactaid at all?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

LACTAID® - Browse the LACTAID® Product Pantry
Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Head Chef

Actually my doctor's office just called and told me about Lactaid pills so I was able to go to that web site and know what it was. I will definately try that. And omg they have lactose free egg nog.... I may have just found Heaven.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Master Chef

Several family members are lactose intolerant and use lactaid milk and take the pills when they are out and about and unable to get lactaid milk. I use it when cooking for them at holiday get togethers. I make my pumpkin pie with it and no one can tell the difference.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
joesfolk: there are as many variations of lactose intloerance as there are lactose intolerant people. At least that's what I've found over the years. Through trial and error, you will find what subs work for you, and which don't. There really is no other way to deal with this "major inconvenience" than to figure out what you can and can't tolerate, and how well you deal with the adverse effects of ingesting dairy products.

I have dealt with this for around 30 years, and what worked best for me was to first eliminate all dairy products from my diet, cold turkey. That was REALLY hard, as I totally love ice cream and cheese After 6 weeks of that (how long it takes to clear a food or substance out of your system), I started trying different milk/dairy products. Some people are never able to add any back. That's severe. Most folks will adapt to a system that works for them -- and what works for me, may not be what will work for you.

Good luck, and keep a good supply of toilet paper.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Master Chef

lol, chefjune.

i developed this intolerance 4 cottage cheese years ago; my dietician says a person could drink a milk & be great, then may be that another form of lactose-containing-dairy-food could lead 2 stomach woes, or vice-versa.
btw, soy yogurt, that infant kind, that is great stuff! more-so, imo, than whole milk yogurt!
almond-milk is great, too- kinda similar 2 soy in its consistancy, yet sweeter than that- i drink usually, plain whole milk, though that i'll get, too
dairy may well be slowwwwwly re-introduced into a person's diet
& grating cheeses, they're kinder on your digestive tract than, say, crm. cheese or ricotta

i've re-introduced milk; my stomach'll tolerate that cottage cheese, too, as of this last year or so!