"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Let's Be Accountable

I have a concept for a new thread to be accountable to each other for getting in our 7-9 servings of fruits & vegetables, that's recomended, daily as well as how much have you excercised today & how it made you feel.

Lets be accountable for a healthier lifestyle.

I'll start...
I got back on the elipitical machine for the second time in 8 years, even if it was only for 10-15 minutes it gave me more spring in my step.
Fresh fruits & veggies are a challenge for me to get in my daily allowance. I believe the key to eating them is to get more creative.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Head Chef

This is a great idea for a thread.
Yesterday I failed miserably.
1. banana
2. granola with dried fruit and nuts
3. 1/2 reuban with saurkraut
4. pickle wedge
5. strawberries w/granola with dried fruit and nuts

mac and cheese with a little bit of ham, has no redeeming value except comfort.
I did get out of the house for a while, no major exercise--it was raining.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
This is a great idea for a thread.
Yesterday I failed miserably.
1. banana
2. granola with dried fruit and nuts
3. 1/2 reuban with saurkraut
4. pickle wedge
5. strawberries w/granola with dried fruit and nuts

mac and cheese with a little bit of ham, has no redeeming value except comfort.
I did get out of the house for a while, no major exercise--it was raining.
You sound like me...Hard time getting your protein? I just discovered greek yogurt, unbelievable how much protein & with the fruit add in's it tastes pretty good.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I got up to 20 minutes on the eliptical I think i went to hard the back of my legs are sore today.
Lots of fresh lemon on cooked veggies keeps me full,
Old 03-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Executive Chef

This is one reason I have smooties for breakfast. I can be lazy at times(most of the time) so I just jam a pile of stuff in a blender every mid morning, around 10 o'clock. I try and cover as many food groups as I can. Today it was, two bananas, skim milk, peanut butter, ground flax seed and goji berry, chocolate flavored whey protien. It filled a 20 ounce beer mug and took me about 7-8 minutes from start to finish. Even less to guzzle it down.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Cupcake

I love, love, love Greek yogurt and have it nearly every day! Since I have been Bento-boxing, I always pack a half-cup of Greek yogurt and then add something to it: Some dried pomogranet seeds and/or a spoon of lemon curd. 1/4 cup of blueberries, etc. It's wonderful! I am going to try to make my own because I go through it so quickly.

As for being more healthy, I strive to "eat the color wheel" every day. It's been working well for me. Instead of saying, "I need to eat string beans, an apple, etc., I will say, I need something blue (get blueberries). I need something red (get tomatoes.) As I chomp the banana, I make note that something yellow is now off the list. It's worked pretty well for me.

My groupings are: purple/blue, green, yellow/orange, orange/red, beige/white. Today, I've had blueberries, green chilies as part of lunch, a banana, [am currently missing something orange or red, but if I get hungry, I know what I need and have some oranges), and shallots in the fritatta.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I love, love, love Greek yogurt and have it nearly every day! Since I have been Bento-boxing, I always pack a half-cup of Greek yogurt and then add something to it: Some dried pomogranet seeds and/or a spoon of lemon curd. 1/4 cup of blueberries, etc. It's wonderful! I am going to try to make my own because I go through it so quickly.

As for being more healthy, I strive to "eat the color wheel" every day. It's been working well for me. Instead of saying, "I need to eat string beans, an apple, etc., I will say, I need something blue (get blueberries). I need something red (get tomatoes.) As I chomp the banana, I make note that something yellow is now off the list. It's worked pretty well for me.

My groupings are: purple/blue, green, yellow/orange, orange/red, beige/white. Today, I've had blueberries, green chilies as part of lunch, a banana, [am currently missing something orange or red, but if I get hungry, I know what I need and have some oranges), and shallots in the fritatta.
Great idea!!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

Do you have any good recipies for making greek yogurt? I would love to get it, if You;re willing to give it out.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I discovered a great line of codiments called "Walden Farms" Their BBQ sauce is good. I have'nt had a chance to try all of the dressings yet but there is NO SUGAR. NO CARB'S & NO CALORIES. The sodium is pretty high but you can't have everything.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

In the beginning the fruits and vegatables were a challange for me also. Three things have helped. The first was the realization that I could have two servings of the same item. So 7-9 became 4-5 and the pressure was reduced, not to mention the waste. The second big help was to use vegatables in place of starches. Instead of a bed of rice or pasta I use cooked greens. I also make macaroni and cheese using broccoli. Finally side dishes have become main dishes in our house. We are slowly moving away from meat as the central focus in our meals.