Let's Be Accountable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonbaker

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a concept for a new thread to be accountable to each other for getting in our 7-9 servings of fruits & vegetables, that's recomended, daily as well as how much have you excercised today & how it made you feel.

Lets be accountable for a healthier lifestyle.

I'll start...
I got back on the elipitical machine for the second time in 8 years, even if it was only for 10-15 minutes it gave me more spring in my step.
Fresh fruits & veggies are a challenge for me to get in my daily allowance. I believe the key to eating them is to get more creative.

This is a great idea for a thread.
Yesterday I failed miserably.
1. banana
2. granola with dried fruit and nuts
3. 1/2 reuban with saurkraut
4. pickle wedge
5. strawberries w/granola with dried fruit and nuts

mac and cheese with a little bit of ham, has no redeeming value except comfort.
I did get out of the house for a while, no major exercise--it was raining.

This is a great idea for a thread.
Yesterday I failed miserably.
1. banana
2. granola with dried fruit and nuts
3. 1/2 reuban with saurkraut
4. pickle wedge
5. strawberries w/granola with dried fruit and nuts

mac and cheese with a little bit of ham, has no redeeming value except comfort.
I did get out of the house for a while, no major exercise--it was raining.
You sound like me...Hard time getting your protein? I just discovered greek yogurt, unbelievable how much protein & with the fruit add in's it tastes pretty good.

I got up to 20 minutes on the eliptical I think i went to hard the back of my legs are sore today.
Lots of fresh lemon on cooked veggies keeps me full,

This is one reason I have smooties for breakfast. I can be lazy at times(most of the time:LOL:) so I just jam a pile of stuff in a blender every mid morning, around 10 o'clock. I try and cover as many food groups as I can. Today it was, two bananas, skim milk, peanut butter, ground flax seed and goji berry, chocolate flavored whey protien. It filled a 20 ounce beer mug and took me about 7-8 minutes from start to finish. Even less to guzzle it down.:pig:

I love, love, love Greek yogurt and have it nearly every day! Since I have been Bento-boxing, I always pack a half-cup of Greek yogurt and then add something to it: Some dried pomogranet seeds and/or a spoon of lemon curd. 1/4 cup of blueberries, etc. It's wonderful! I am going to try to make my own because I go through it so quickly.

As for being more healthy, I strive to "eat the color wheel" every day. It's been working well for me. Instead of saying, "I need to eat string beans, an apple, etc., I will say, I need something blue (get blueberries). I need something red (get tomatoes.) As I chomp the banana, I make note that something yellow is now off the list. It's worked pretty well for me.

My groupings are: purple/blue, green, yellow/orange, orange/red, beige/white. Today, I've had blueberries, green chilies as part of lunch, a banana, [am currently missing something orange or red, but if I get hungry, I know what I need and have some oranges), and shallots in the fritatta.

I love, love, love Greek yogurt and have it nearly every day! Since I have been Bento-boxing, I always pack a half-cup of Greek yogurt and then add something to it: Some dried pomogranet seeds and/or a spoon of lemon curd. 1/4 cup of blueberries, etc. It's wonderful! I am going to try to make my own because I go through it so quickly.

As for being more healthy, I strive to "eat the color wheel" every day. It's been working well for me. Instead of saying, "I need to eat string beans, an apple, etc., I will say, I need something blue (get blueberries). I need something red (get tomatoes.) As I chomp the banana, I make note that something yellow is now off the list. It's worked pretty well for me.

My groupings are: purple/blue, green, yellow/orange, orange/red, beige/white. Today, I've had blueberries, green chilies as part of lunch, a banana, [am currently missing something orange or red, but if I get hungry, I know what I need and have some oranges), and shallots in the fritatta.
Great idea!!!!

Do you have any good recipies for making greek yogurt? I would love to get it, if You;re willing to give it out.

I discovered a great line of codiments called "Walden Farms" Their BBQ sauce is good. I have'nt had a chance to try all of the dressings yet but there is NO SUGAR. NO CARB'S & NO CALORIES. The sodium is pretty high but you can't have everything.

In the beginning the fruits and vegatables were a challange for me also. Three things have helped. The first was the realization that I could have two servings of the same item. So 7-9 became 4-5 and the pressure was reduced, not to mention the waste. The second big help was to use vegatables in place of starches. Instead of a bed of rice or pasta I use cooked greens. I also make macaroni and cheese using broccoli. Finally side dishes have become main dishes in our house. We are slowly moving away from meat as the central focus in our meals.

i just worked out 30 minutes on the eliptical machine & stretched out 5 minutes on my inversion table. It can be discouraging how much indurance I have lost.
In 2003 I lost 112 pounds.I have gained most of it back. I've been on my lifestyle cange for 2 weeks. I have a long ways to go but I'm determined not to end up with type 2 diabetes like alot of my family.

Please share your story...................

Before my senior year in high school, I lost around 70 pounds, by severe fat restriction, less than 10 grams per day. This drastic diet eventually failed and I gained it all back and then some. 10 years ago I lost another 75 pounds, this time calorie restriction, I was always on the hunt for stuff that I could eat a lot of for very few calories, I ate between 1200 and 1500 calories a day (I'm a guy). This also failed, I reached the finish line and quit the diet, the weight came back and then some.

Fast forward to last year. I found myself a good 90 pounds heavier than I really should be, I was morbidly obese.

This time I got real. I started with a plan, really got to the root of where I was overeating. I was a big snacker, my meals weren't balanced, but they weren't obscene either, it was the mindless snacking that seemed to be a problem. My plan has evolved into this. I eat 3 meals a day, breakfast is a healthy cereal (with fiber) with almond milk, I love the stuff, for the calories of skim milk, I get a rich creamy beverage, sometimes I have greek yogurt with some walnuts and honey, this is by far my favorite breakfast. Lunch is usually a sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread (or a sandwich flat) and a piece of fruit, usually an apple or pear. Dinner is just a balanced meal, protein, vegetable and starch, nothing magic, nothing "diet" necessarily. Snacks can be cheese and crackers, fruit or what ever strikes my fancy, within reason.

My biggest change is eliminating "processed" foods whenever possible, and when I say processed, for me that means things that have a long list of ingredients that I don't recognize, and are far from their natural form. I use butter instead of "buttery spread", I try to eliminate HFCS( the jury is still out on this but I see no need to consume it), trans-fat, MSG, and unnatural preservatives. I try to "keep it real" as much as possible. This has made more work for me in the kitchen, but it is worth it, we are getting superior quality foods, and saving money in the process.

I have lost 70 pounds in just a little over a year. This is by far the slowest that I have ever lost weight, and I think that is a good thing. I have no trouble staying on this plan because I don't feel deprived, I am not forcing "diet" foods on myself and I am not eliminating an entire group of foods from my diet. I cut myself some slack, I know that if I can stay on this plan 80% of the time, that the other 20% will help me stay sane, like when I go out with friends, I am not forcing myself to eat a salad when I really want a steak, I eat the steak!

I am struggling with my last 20 pounds, my blood pressure medicine really makes it a challenge, I don't think that I need it anymore, hopefully my doctor will take me off it. I also need to start exercising again, I was stricken with gout and stopped exercising, it took a month for the pain to go away completely, I'm only 36 darn it, I thought only old people had gout! LOL

Good for you on your weight loss.I't's great to hear others stories it helps along the way.

Bakechef, thank you for your stories of your experience. I'm a firm believer in eating REAL foods and not much processed food. I also think it is better to take weight off slower, as a lifestyle change and not a quick diet. I'm about 15 lbs off where I want to be.

I use two methods to make myself become the person I want to be, weight wise.

1. If I walk in a grocery store and see severely obese people (no judgement--I've had extra weight) at any part of the store, say the frozen food case near ice cream, I just decide that if I ate what they ate, I'd be obese like them, so I don't--usually. (I do eat ice cream and sherbet, about 5 times a year.) I see the slimmer people in the vegetable/fruit produce area, so I buy food from there. I know it is very simplistic but it makes sense. Buy and eat food from the places that have proven results (other people as examples) to make me into the weight I want to become.

2. My stomach is the size of my fist. No matter what I've been served or serve myself, I only eat an amount the size of my fist. Portion control. I've found my eyes are bigger than my stomach on some days.

There are so many good ideas here (on DC), I really like the color wheel idea, eating from different parts of the color wheel every day. It makes shopping and cooking more fun. Variety is the spice of life.

You sound like me...Hard time getting your protein? I just discovered greek yogurt, unbelievable how much protein & with the fruit add in's it tastes pretty good.

I try to eat about 4 oz of protein each day. Doesn't that sound about right?

Quick greek yogurt: Bring milk to 185 degrees F (say 2 quarts), add 1/2 cup natural yogurt (like Dannon plain), mix well and store it in the oven--gas oven with pilot light overnight. Some people use a pan over a heating pad, some use yogurt makers.
Refrigerate, Drain/strain through tea towels tied over the sink until it is the thickness you desire (4 hours).
If you drain it longer, you'll get a cream cheese like yogurt, mixed with herbs and a little salt, for a nice spread on crackers and sandwiches.

Do you use skim milk for the yogurt? Although I like gas ovens, unfortunately I don't have access to one. Honestly I am not sure how much protein a person needs a day. I think it's based on your weight.

You can use skim, though, I like 2% milk. It will be creamier with more milk fat in it.

Oh and be sure to cool the milk down to 90-110 degrees F, before adding the yogurt culture, then hold it warm, not hot. (I should have put that in the original instructions.)
I've heard some people get the milk warm, then wrap in a towel and put in a warm cooler to hold the heat, overnight.

It is based on your weight, or your calorie intake. There are a few ways of doing it which tells me that as long as you get about 20 - 30% of your calories from lean protein foods, you are probably getting enough. There are so many factors though, you should ask your doctor.

This article has more on protein..
How much protein do we need? - Nutrition - Canadian Living

Fiance and I bought a treadmill a few weeks ago, I actually find it easier to jog on than the ones at the gym for one huge reason - I get really anxious at the gym worrying about everyone else, so I can't jog properly and end up getting winded very fast - I worry about the person next to me if they are annoyed by my breathing, etc.. just stupid little things like that, that our minds make up when we're anxious which in turn make me even more anxious lol.. it's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, I started jogging at home and I can jog for twice as long during my intervals because I feel no anxiety with just my fiance here.

I'm proud of myself as it *feels* like a milestone lol.

My fiance and I have always enjoyed food, and weight creeps up on you when you are a foodie and aren't careful. We have always eaten healthier than most at home, with no prepacked foods etc. and I typically make a well balanced meal, which we also take for leftovers the next day. Anyway lol.

I lost about 15 lbs before Xmas and kept it off, and my plan is to go through weight loss about 10 - 15 lbs at a time, maintain, then try to lose more. If I lose more while I'm maintaining from exercise then so be it! I'm on my next kick now, so I'm taking it up a notch with the exercise and making the lifestyle changes to lose more. I'm 199 right now.. I want to be 150 - 140. Crossing below the 200 mark was great with the first 15 lbs.

My jeans fit again.. I have tons of clothes I want to wear again, and I WILL wear them !!!

Getting married next summer. I ordered my dress already, and I want to be able to alter it at least a handful of sizes by the time I'm at a healthier feel good weight.

Holy jeez I just spilled my life... lol.

It is based on your weight, or your calorie intake. There are a few ways of doing it which tells me that as long as you get about 20 - 30% of your calories from lean protein foods, you are probably getting enough. There are so many factors though, you should ask your doctor.

This article has more on protein..
How much protein do we need? - Nutrition - Canadian Living

Fiance and I bought a treadmill a few weeks ago, I actually find it easier to jog on than the ones at the gym for one huge reason - I get really anxious at the gym worrying about everyone else, so I can't jog properly and end up getting winded very fast - I worry about the person next to me if they are annoyed by my breathing, etc.. just stupid little things like that, that our minds make up when we're anxious which in turn make me even more anxious lol.. it's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, I started jogging at home and I can jog for twice as long during my intervals because I feel no anxiety with just my fiance here.

I'm proud of myself as it *feels* like a milestone lol.

My fiance and I have always enjoyed food, and weight creeps up on you when you are a foodie and aren't careful. We have always eaten healthier than most at home, with no prepacked foods etc. and I typically make a well balanced meal, which we also take for leftovers the next day. Anyway lol.

I lost about 15 lbs before Xmas and kept it off, and my plan is to go through weight loss about 10 - 15 lbs at a time, maintain, then try to lose more. If I lose more while I'm maintaining from exercise then so be it! I'm on my next kick now, so I'm taking it up a notch with the exercise and making the lifestyle changes to lose more. I'm 199 right now.. I want to be 150 - 140. Crossing below the 200 mark was great with the first 15 lbs.

My jeans fit again.. I have tons of clothes I want to wear again, and I WILL wear them !!!

Getting married next summer. I ordered my dress already, and I want to be able to alter it at least a handful of sizes by the time I'm at a healthier feel good weight.

Holy jeez I just spilled my life... lol.
Thanks for sharing. Good for you for getting on the treadmill. I always get such shin splints on a treadmill. Iwas proud of myself that I did 30 mn. on the eliptical machine last night but I was so sore today. We got really busy in the cafe today so I had to really move it. the recliner is feeling pretty good about now.
Best wishes on your wedding!!!!
Thanks for the website on protein. I found it to be helpful.

I really enjoy the elliptical as well Simon. If I do ever buy one for home it will be a really good one though.. I dislike the ones with the short strides, which are usually the cheaper ones. Another machine I really enjoy is the stairmaster. I've been starting to lean more towards the one that has an actual set of revolving stairs, because you can step sideways and really burn different muscles (think hips and saddlebags)

Back
Top Bottom