Let's talk oils (nutrient & quality)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chubbs

Cook
I couldn't find exactly where to put this,hope it's the right area.
For the longest time I only used vegetable oil.Been exploring last few months.
Their is allot more oils then I thought existed!Lol.
EVOO seems to be a heated topic sometimes.I get lucini:premium select when I can.It's $17 per 500ml bottle.I also got a 500ml bottle of carapelli.I like lucini allot more lol.I heard just because of this one little study,CA & other american EVOOs should be bought.

I think it was a pointless study to try & convince americans to get rid of imported EVOOs & only buy american.
Yesterday I got a 710ml bottle of pompeian grapeseed oil for $2.18.Figured since it was on sale might as well try it.
How can I tell if a oil is refined or unrefined without opening the bottle?
I rather have refined if i'm frying food since smoke point is higher.
Unrefined seems good if you want to add flavor & use low heat.I'm guessing since it's less processed it's healthier then refined.
Am I wrong?I want get avocado,macadamia & coconut oil soon.

I heard coconut is the most stable oil,longest shelf life.& avocado has highest smoke point of all oils.Is this true?I seen a site trying to push walnut oil & says it is the healthiest:LOL:.The omega 3:6 ratio is insane compared to other nuts.I bet it taste good,but sure it's not the healthiest

Last edited:
There is a lot going on in that question.
For high temp frying, I generally use grapeseed oil,which is relatively inexpensive, has a fairly high smoke point and a neutral flavor.. I also use and have used:
Lard, vegetable shortening, clarified butter, olive oil, peanut oil, corn oil,....well I have used a variety of oils. Never heard of avocado oil..interesting.
I believe the choice of a suitable oil is largely subjective and depends on what you are preparing and how. I reckon my answer isn't much help to you. I tend to use extra virgin olive oil for flavoring purposes. I use lighter olive oils for light frying.
Living in the rural area that I do, I am limited as to brand selection unless I happen to be out and about. But I generally have a long list of other interesting ingredients to pursue and olive oil is low on my list.
I am certain others will be along soon with better advice.

I believe the choice of a suitable oil is largely subjective and depends on what you are preparing and how.
Yes.Even refined seems to hold some flavor.I just use evoo for pizza dough.Sometimes ill drizzle a bit on steamed spinach,but that's all.

For a great article on fat basics, try here:
Fat, glorious fat. Part I | primalmeded

As for what I prefer, I like olive and canola oil when a liquid oil is called for. I also keep flax oil on hand (which can't really be heated) to use in vinaigrettes. For baking and roasting, I like lard and butter.

Grapeseed is probably one of the worst oils you can use if you're trying to improve your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Ideally, the "experts" say you should shoot for no more than a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of 6-to-3. Grapeseed has a whopping 650:1 ratio.

Last edited:
I couldn't find exactly where to put this,hope it's the right area.
For the longest time I only used vegetable oil.Been exploring last few months.
Their is allot more oils then I thought existed!Lol.
EVOO seems to be a heated topic sometimes.I get lucini:premium select when I can.It's $17 per 500ml bottle.I also got a 500ml bottle of carapelli.I like lucini allot more lol.I heard just because of this one little study,CA & other american EVOOs should be bought.

I think it was a pointless study to try & convince americans to get rid of imported EVOOs & only buy american.
Yesterday I got a 710ml bottle of pompeian grapeseed oil for $2.18.Figured since it was on sale might as well try it.
How can I tell if a oil is refined or unrefined without opening the bottle?
I rather have refined if i'm frying food since smoke point is higher.
Unrefined seems good if you want to add flavor & use low heat.I'm guessing since it's less processed it's healthier then refined.
Am I wrong?I want get avocado,macadamia & coconut oil soon.

I heard coconut is the most stable oil,longest shelf life.& avocado has highest smoke point of all oils.Is this true?I seen a site trying to push walnut oil & says it is the healthiest:LOL:.The omega 3:6 ratio is insane compared to other nuts.I bet it taste good,but sure it's not the healthiest

I personally like Avocado oil and walnut oil for salads. I also use coconut oil in place of butter on steamed veggies. I have almond and peanut oils on hand. I like peanut oil for deep-frying.

Here are some links that compare various oils:

The Cooking Oil Comparison Chart - Healthy Oils Compared

Side by Side Nutritional Comparison of Cooking Oils

Fat Comparison Chart: Saturated, Monounsaturated, Polyunsaturated and Trans Fatty Acids

Cooking Oil Comparison – The Best and Worst Cooking Oils on WomansDay - Woman's Day

Healthiest Cooking Oil Comparison Chart with Smoke Points and Omega 3 Fatty Acid Ratios

At the most basic level, oil is oil. All oil has the same amount of calories.

That said, there are differences. A refined oil is typically clearer and cleaner looking as impurities have bee filtered out. Highly refined oils are more neutral tasting. For example, a highly refined American peanut oil is fairly bland while an Asian peanut oil made for Asian cooking has a distinct peanut aroma and flavor.

Corn oil is among the most available high smoke point oils that are good for frying. As a group, tropical oils such as palm and coconut are less healthful.

I've never heard of premium select olive oil but if you like it, that's what counts.

• Extra-virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste. Extra Virgin olive oil accounts for less than 10% of oil in many producing countries; the percentage is far higher in the Mediterranean countries (Greece: 80%, Italy: 45%, Spain 30%). It is used on salads, added at the table to soups and stews and for dipping.
  • Virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, has an acidity less than 1.5%, and is judged to have a good taste.
  • Pure olive oil. Oils labeled as Pure olive oil or Olive oil are usually a blend of refined and virgin production oil.
  • Olive oil is a blend of virgin and refined production oil, of no more than 2% acidity. It commonly lacks a strong flavor.
  • Olive pomace oil is refined pomace olive oil often blended with some virgin oil. It is fit for consumption, but may not be described simply as olive oil. It has a more neutral flavor than pure or virgin olive oil, making it unfashionable among connoisseurs; however, it has the same fat composition as regular olive oil, giving it the same health benefits. It also has a high smoke point, and thus is widely used in restaurants as well as home cooking in some countries.

Grapeseed is probably one of the worst oils you can use if you're trying to improve your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Ideally, the "experts" say you should shoot for no more than a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of 6-to-3. Grapeseed has a whopping 650:1 ratio.

Well it ain't first time I been told "Hoot, you ought not eat that stuff!"
From what I can understand this whole omega balance deal is in regard to anti-inflammatory and pro-inflammatory properties. Maybe I am reading this stuff incorrectly but an over abundance of omega 6 enhances the pro-inflammatory side of things. It that's true (and I don't know for a fact either way) I must be doing some other stuff OK. I ain't been sick in years, beyond a short lived cold.
Thanks for the info, however!

As a group, tropical oils such as palm and coconut are less healthful.

I've never heard of premium select olive oil but if you like it, that's what counts.
I'd have to agree to disagree about coconut.
Coconutoil.com - Research on Coconut Oil's Health Benefits
Lucini has few different evoos.I said premium select,not to confuse with lucini's others.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Lucini Italia

From what I can understand this whole omega balance deal is in regard to anti-inflammatory and pro-inflammatory properties. Maybe I am reading this stuff incorrectly but an over abundance of omega 6 enhances the pro-inflammatory side of things. It that's true (and I don't know for a fact either way) I must be doing some other stuff OK. I ain't been sick in years, beyond a short lived cold.
Same here.My tabs are maxed I think lol.Here is a couple links i'm going to read soon.
Omega 6 and 3 in nuts, oils, meat and fish. Tools to get it right. | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition
Are Macadamia Nuts Superior to All Other Nuts?

Correct but they covered the saturated fat issue. It's based on this and other sites that I made my original statement.

Who knows for sure. Just when you start doing things you think are right, another "expert" comes along and says it's all wrong. :)

I think the only thing that holds true is "everything in moderation."

Who knows for sure. Just when you start doing things you think are right, another "expert" comes along and says it's all wrong. :)

I think the only thing that holds true is "everything in moderation."
Yeah.Seems the more info & research I read,the more confused I get.Like coffee.Almost every week their is new articles saying it is very good for you then right by it another saying it's worse then pop:rolleyes:.

From all that my brain has processed on research & articles,avocado macadamia coconut & olive oils seem to be the healthiest.But over all oils...that will probably never be proven.I was curious to see what you all read & what your decision is on the healthiest.sometimes I read so long I get headaches looking at the screen.

Last edited:
Yeah.Seems the more info & research I read,the more confused I get.Like coffee.Almost every week their is new articles saying it is very good for you then right by it another saying it's worse then pop:rolleyes:.

From all that my brain has processed on research & articles,avocado macadamia coconut & olive oils seem to be the healthiest.But over all oils...that will probably never be proven.I was curious to see what you all read & what your decision is on the healthiest.sometimes I read so long I get headaches looking at the screen.
Oh--I select oils based on flavor......I guess I'm bad!

With oil I use it for frying mostly.So I don't care much for flavor.I do like the taste of sunflower oil though.Maybe I just suck at olive oil tasting but,it's almost tasteless to me no matter the brand name

I use only extra-virgin olive oil from Italy (italian olives, italian producers), not just because I'm nationalistic (which I'm not), but because I've always used it for every task in the kitchen with decent results. I make an exception only when I need to cook something with butter (risotto, eggs, milanese cutlet...), and I do not deep fry, so I never consider using cheaper oils.
In Italy we have a wide variety of different EVOOs, from those produced by industry giants, like Bertolli or Carapelli, to those made by small, local producers, sometimes with an organic approach. And the taste can be greatly different: you can have very "heavy" oils, like some from Puglia, or more delicate ones. If I need to use EVOO for cooking, since I try to use only a little amount, the taste of oil doesn't matter so much to me, but if I must dress a salad I tend to prefer the more delicate.
And I admit I never studied seriously the chemical properties of olive oil: we've been eating it from the time of ancient Greece and Rome, so I suppose it's a good food. May be not, but I'm so naive sometimes... :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom