"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Cook
 
chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IN,USA
Posts: 70
Lightbulb Let's talk oils (nutrient & quality)

I couldn't find exactly where to put this,hope it's the right area.
For the longest time I only used vegetable oil.Been exploring last few months.
Their is allot more oils then I thought existed!Lol.
EVOO seems to be a heated topic sometimes.I get lucini:premium select when I can.It's $17 per 500ml bottle.I also got a 500ml bottle of carapelli.I like lucini allot more lol.I heard just because of this one little study,CA & other american EVOOs should be bought.

I think it was a pointless study to try & convince americans to get rid of imported EVOOs & only buy american.
Yesterday I got a 710ml bottle of pompeian grapeseed oil for $2.18.Figured since it was on sale might as well try it.
How can I tell if a oil is refined or unrefined without opening the bottle?
I rather have refined if i'm frying food since smoke point is higher.
Unrefined seems good if you want to add flavor & use low heat.I'm guessing since it's less processed it's healthier then refined.
Am I wrong?I want get avocado,macadamia & coconut oil soon.

I heard coconut is the most stable oil,longest shelf life.& avocado has highest smoke point of all oils.Is this true?I seen a site trying to push walnut oil & says it is the healthiest.The omega 3:6 ratio is insane compared to other nuts.I bet it taste good,but sure it's not the healthiest

__________________

__________________
chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
There is a lot going on in that question.
For high temp frying, I generally use grapeseed oil,which is relatively inexpensive, has a fairly high smoke point and a neutral flavor.. I also use and have used:
Lard, vegetable shortening, clarified butter, olive oil, peanut oil, corn oil,....well I have used a variety of oils. Never heard of avocado oil..interesting.
I believe the choice of a suitable oil is largely subjective and depends on what you are preparing and how. I reckon my answer isn't much help to you. I tend to use extra virgin olive oil for flavoring purposes. I use lighter olive oils for light frying.
Living in the rural area that I do, I am limited as to brand selection unless I happen to be out and about. But I generally have a long list of other interesting ingredients to pursue and olive oil is low on my list.
I am certain others will be along soon with better advice.
__________________

__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Cook
 
chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IN,USA
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I believe the choice of a suitable oil is largely subjective and depends on what you are preparing and how.
Yes.Even refined seems to hold some flavor.I just use evoo for pizza dough.Sometimes ill drizzle a bit on steamed spinach,but that's all.
__________________
chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,419
For a great article on fat basics, try here:
Fat, glorious fat. Part I | primalmeded

As for what I prefer, I like olive and canola oil when a liquid oil is called for. I also keep flax oil on hand (which can't really be heated) to use in vinaigrettes. For baking and roasting, I like lard and butter.

Grapeseed is probably one of the worst oils you can use if you're trying to improve your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Ideally, the "experts" say you should shoot for no more than a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of 6-to-3. Grapeseed has a whopping 650:1 ratio.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
I couldn't find exactly where to put this,hope it's the right area.
For the longest time I only used vegetable oil.Been exploring last few months.
Their is allot more oils then I thought existed!Lol.
EVOO seems to be a heated topic sometimes.I get lucini:premium select when I can.It's $17 per 500ml bottle.I also got a 500ml bottle of carapelli.I like lucini allot more lol.I heard just because of this one little study,CA & other american EVOOs should be bought.

I think it was a pointless study to try & convince americans to get rid of imported EVOOs & only buy american.
Yesterday I got a 710ml bottle of pompeian grapeseed oil for $2.18.Figured since it was on sale might as well try it.
How can I tell if a oil is refined or unrefined without opening the bottle?
I rather have refined if i'm frying food since smoke point is higher.
Unrefined seems good if you want to add flavor & use low heat.I'm guessing since it's less processed it's healthier then refined.
Am I wrong?I want get avocado,macadamia & coconut oil soon.

I heard coconut is the most stable oil,longest shelf life.& avocado has highest smoke point of all oils.Is this true?I seen a site trying to push walnut oil & says it is the healthiest.The omega 3:6 ratio is insane compared to other nuts.I bet it taste good,but sure it's not the healthiest
I personally like Avocado oil and walnut oil for salads. I also use coconut oil in place of butter on steamed veggies. I have almond and peanut oils on hand. I like peanut oil for deep-frying.

Here are some links that compare various oils:

The Cooking Oil Comparison Chart - Healthy Oils Compared

Side by Side Nutritional Comparison of Cooking Oils

Fat Comparison Chart: Saturated, Monounsaturated, Polyunsaturated and Trans Fatty Acids

Cooking Oil Comparison – The Best and Worst Cooking Oils on WomansDay - Woman's Day

Healthiest Cooking Oil Comparison Chart with Smoke Points and Omega 3 Fatty Acid Ratios
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,405
At the most basic level, oil is oil. All oil has the same amount of calories.

That said, there are differences. A refined oil is typically clearer and cleaner looking as impurities have bee filtered out. Highly refined oils are more neutral tasting. For example, a highly refined American peanut oil is fairly bland while an Asian peanut oil made for Asian cooking has a distinct peanut aroma and flavor.

Corn oil is among the most available high smoke point oils that are good for frying. As a group, tropical oils such as palm and coconut are less healthful.

I've never heard of premium select olive oil but if you like it, that's what counts.


  • Extra-virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste. Extra Virgin olive oil accounts for less than 10% of oil in many producing countries; the percentage is far higher in the Mediterranean countries (Greece: 80%, Italy: 45%, Spain 30%). It is used on salads, added at the table to soups and stews and for dipping.
  • Virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, has an acidity less than 1.5%, and is judged to have a good taste.
  • Pure olive oil. Oils labeled as Pure olive oil or Olive oil are usually a blend of refined and virgin production oil.
  • Olive oil is a blend of virgin and refined production oil, of no more than 2% acidity. It commonly lacks a strong flavor.
  • Olive pomace oil is refined pomace olive oil often blended with some virgin oil. It is fit for consumption, but may not be described simply as olive oil. It has a more neutral flavor than pure or virgin olive oil, making it unfashionable among connoisseurs; however, it has the same fat composition as regular olive oil, giving it the same health benefits. It also has a high smoke point, and thus is widely used in restaurants as well as home cooking in some countries.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

Grapeseed is probably one of the worst oils you can use if you're trying to improve your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Ideally, the "experts" say you should shoot for no more than a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of 6-to-3. Grapeseed has a whopping 650:1 ratio.
Well it ain't first time I been told "Hoot, you ought not eat that stuff!"
From what I can understand this whole omega balance deal is in regard to anti-inflammatory and pro-inflammatory properties. Maybe I am reading this stuff incorrectly but an over abundance of omega 6 enhances the pro-inflammatory side of things. It that's true (and I don't know for a fact either way) I must be doing some other stuff OK. I ain't been sick in years, beyond a short lived cold.
Thanks for the info, however!
__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Cook
 
chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: IN,USA
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As a group, tropical oils such as palm and coconut are less healthful.

I've never heard of premium select olive oil but if you like it, that's what counts.
I'd have to agree to disagree about coconut.
Coconutoil.com - Research on Coconut Oil's Health Benefits
Lucini has few different evoos.I said premium select,not to confuse with lucini's others.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Lucini Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Well it ain't first time I been told "Hoot, you ought not eat that stuff!"
From what I can understand this whole omega balance deal is in regard to anti-inflammatory and pro-inflammatory properties. Maybe I am reading this stuff incorrectly but an over abundance of omega 6 enhances the pro-inflammatory side of things. It that's true (and I don't know for a fact either way) I must be doing some other stuff OK. I ain't been sick in years, beyond a short lived cold.
Thanks for the info, however!
Same here.My tabs are maxed I think lol.Here is a couple links i'm going to read soon.
Omega 6 and 3 in nuts, oils, meat and fish. Tools to get it right. | Julianne's Paleo & Zone Nutrition
Are Macadamia Nuts Superior to All Other Nuts?
__________________
chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbs View Post
I'd have to agree to disagree about coconut.
Coconutoil.com - Research on Coconut Oil's Health Benefits
Lucini has few different evoos.I said premium select,not to confuse with lucini's others.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Lucini Italia...

I misread your post. I didn't see that you said EVOO. I thought you were describing an OO category.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...g-weight-loss/
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.