Liquid Egg Whites - A Couple of Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CommMajor101

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
I bought some liquid egg whites for a diet I'm on, but have a few questions. 1) how much of the liquid equals how many actual eggs? 2) do you scramble the egg whites in the same way you would regular eggs and 3) can I put them in the microwave to cook the scrambled eggs?

Thanks!

1/4 cup equals one egg.

Scrambling is not necessary, they already are

Microwaving is OK. Cook a little, stir cook, a little more, stir. Repeat until done.

I buy the "EggBeaters" often (which are just colored egg whites) and it is 1/4 c = 1 egg, more or less (remember that whole eggs come in a large variety of sizes, but for using in recipes the above formula will work). Yes, you can scramble just like regular eggs, omlets sometimes actually come out better. Yes, you can microwave, but just as with whole eggs, they might come out a little rubbery. If you are scrambling, take them out and mix them up periodically.

Problem I have with these is that they stick to the pan more so than regular eggs

I agree re: the sticking. Husband uses the egg white products exclusively, while I remain a natural egg devotee. Whenever I make omelets, mine slides out of the non-stick pan like magic; his ALWAYS sticks unless I use butter (REAL butter) in the pan, which sort of defeats the health purposes of using the egg whites in the first place. . . .

That stuff makes great omelets. They look a little odd at first because of the color, but they taste about the same as regular eggs. When you're on a diet, adding a few mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, etc., can make life a lot more interesting.

Oh, yeah -- and Tabasco Sauce. Most people don't realize it, but chickens invented eggs to give humans an excuse to eat Tabasco Sauce.

We tend to use the egg beaters not so much because of the cholesterol or fat reduction, but because with only two of us in the house, they keep in the freezer almost forever, so that when I need eggs for anything (from meat balls to bintzes), I have them on hand. A dozen "fresh" eggs might last us months ... which kind of defeats the word "fresh"!

Back
Top Bottom