"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Old 03-14-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Head Chef
Low carb chicken pizza

I just wanted to post the way I like to make low carb pizza. I use Joseph's Lavash bread. Around here you can get it at Wal-Mart as well as a couple of grocery stores. I see you can also buy it online. It's really soft and tasty; it makes good wraps, too. IIRC it has about 7 or 8 grams of carbs for an entire peice, and you'd have to be pretty hungry to eat a pizza made with a whole one. The nice thing about it is that it's pretty thin- perfect for pizza crust.

Here's the stuff I mean:

To start out, preheat the oven to 350 F. I like to lay it out on a wire rack sold for grilling veggies on the barbie. A cooling rack would also work. Brush the bread lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with a bit of salt. Toss it in the oven and bake until crispy. In my oven it takes about five minutes on the middle rack to get it as crispy as I like it (fairly crisp).

Once it's as crisped up as you like it, top in as you would any other crust. Below is the chicken & onion ranch pizza I had for dinner. It's very simple- just ranch dressing spread over the whole crust, topped with feather shredded mozzerella cheese, diced onion and cooked chicken. Okay, I actually cooked the chicken sous vide @ 140 degrees for a couple hours, but you could use any chicken.

Chicken Ranch Pizza:

The ranch version is nice because ranch dressing has almost no carbs, nor does the chicken. But if you use a no-sugar-added tomato sauce then you can pretty much go nuts!

And BTW, my brother cuts into small strips and bakes into chips that are super for dipping. It's a pretty versatile product.

If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Head Chef
Looks very nice to me!!

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
going to give it a try if i can locate the bread.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Senior Cook
Thanks for this idea. Much faster than rolling out dough. I've been wanting to try this bread for wraps. Now I have to look for it.
DebLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

chicken, pizza