"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #11
Cook

i had some no sugar ice cream this weekend, it was so bad i cried.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
When you can have some carbs (after 2 weeks) try the ice cream with cool whip it adds a little sweetness to it and has a few carbs. Try the web site lowcarbcafe.com for lots of great dishes.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #13
Head Chef

Better yet, learn to live and love the GI! =P Not all carbs are created equal.

Your body needs carbs to function properly over an extended period of time, just like it needs fats and it needs proteins. I'd be wary of cutting out out any of them completely. Instead try concentrating on making sure what you do ingest is as packed full of nutritional value as it can be.

I learned the hard way over many years and many diet-of-the-month "failures" ... the more I move the less important it is about what I put into my mouth. haha I mean, I can handle a slice of pie or an ice cream now and then without feeling guilty or seeing it land on my rear if I'm keeping up with my walking, pilates, yoga or whatever. The more you move the less you have to fuss over every bite you take.

Z
Old 06-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
The glycemic index is totally useless for dieting unless you are accustomed to eating just one food item per meal. The glycemic index provides the the rate at which a carbohydrate converts to glucose, enters the bloodstream, and causes an insulin response. Unfortunately, this is flawed in two ways.

1. Some food items, for example carrots, have a very high glycemic number, but they are so low in calories that, in order to get a blood sugar spike, you would have to literally eat an entire bushel of them.

2. Most normal human beings mix their proteins, carbohydrates, and vegetables during a single feeding, and proteins and fats will slow down the absorption of glucose into your bloodstream. So unless you plan on being a "one trick pony" at every meal, forget about using the glycemic index for dietary purposes.

Like I said SPRING FOR THE BOOK!"
Old 06-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
Master Chef

Oppose - you are seriously endangering your health by just deciding to make up your own "low carb diet".

If you wish to go that route, both the newest Atkins & the South Beach diets are good healthy ones to pursue - but YOU HAVE TO EITHER DO THEM ONLINE OR BUY THE BOOKS!!!!!!!

Both are nutritionally correct & will make sure you're getting everything you need to remain healthy. If you're thinking that all you eat are eggs & chicken, you're on a path to health destruction & no weight loss worth of it.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
Cook

For what it's worth, my favorite book on eating healthy is called,
"Your health, your choice" by Ted M. Morter, M.D.

He is a physician who wondered why some of his patients got better, and why some did not. He did extensive research in hopes to better serve his patients, and the book is what he found.

It's jam packed with info on food and how your body handles certain categories of foods, such as how easily (or not so easily) something is digested. And what the body requires to digest certain foods.

And it easily explains the causes of osteoporosis, for instance, and other common ailments, and how they're just not necessary.

thought some of you might enjoy it!