"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Cook

Low carb diet food question

so i know basically all you can eat is like eggs and chicken but what are some sides i could make? god i miss ice cream,.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Executive Chef

What low-carb diet are you on! Here is a list of veggies/legumes you can eat while on the SB diet. Do more reading online, there are loads of things you should be eating even in P1 of low-carbing.
  • Artichokes
  • Asparagus
  • Beans, Green
  • Beans, Italian
  • Beans, Wax
  • Beans or Legumes:
  • Black Beans
  • Butter Beans
  • Chickpeas or Garbanzo
  • Pigeon Peas
  • Soy Beans
  • Split Peas
  • Broccoli
  • Bok Choy
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Celery
  • Collard Greens
  • Cucumbers
  • Eggplant
  • Lettuce (All varieties)
  • Juice (Limit to 6 ounces per day)
  • Tomato
  • V-8
  • Mushrooms
  • Mustard Greens
  • Okra
  • Onion - Limit to 1/2 per day
  • Peppers (All varieties)
  • Pickles - Dill or those sweetened with Splenda®
  • Radishes (All varieties)
  • Rhubarb
  • Sauerkraut
  • Snow peas
  • Spinach
  • Sprouts, Alfalfa
  • Squash, Spaghetti
  • Squash, Summer
  • Yellow
  • Zucchini
  • Tomato - Limit to 1 whole or 10 cherry per serving

Old 06-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

There is a lot more to a south beach or atkins type diet than eggs and chicken and no carbs. Make sure you understand the details and the different stages.

There are a lot of low carb foods you can shoose from. There are some good low carb substitutes for breads. You can eat all meats and fish.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Spring for the book. Other than purchasing a fitness center membership, it will be the best health related investment you'll ever make. Oh, and once you get the book, do EXACTLY what it tells you to do, please? Every diet plan out there really works, honest. But ONLY if you follow the instructions!

Another thing that annoys me about low carb diets, other than people not following the instructions, is all the substitutes they try to make up for their normally heavily carbed meals. Spaghetti squash? Steamed and smashed cauliflower? Why? The no carb part of the diet is only for TWO WEEKS! Anyone who can't go two weeks without spaghetti and meatballs or mashed potatoes and gravy has a much bigger problem, which is probably the cause of them being overweight to begin with.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Cook

thanks for that big list of foods, it sucks i dont like beans and peas lol. how about yellow corn? is that ok? well i can report ive lost 7 lbs in 2-3 days just eating chicken with tomatos n pickles lol. will powered the beejezuz out of it haha. a decent amount of excersize was also involved so can't give all the credit to the food :)
Old 06-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Head Chef

Peas & corn are NOT vegetables! They are carbohydrates and should be treated as such. LIke I said SPRING FOR THE BOOK!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Peas and corn are vegetables that are very high in carbs.

If you're serious about this diet plan, it is a good idea to consider buying the book. The book will provide you with correct information on the foods you should include in your diet and ones to avoid. You will have less misinformation to contend with if you refer to the book.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Peas and corn are vegetables that are very high in carbs.
So is a potato! Anything that grows is technically a vegetable. We aren't talking about animal/vegetable/mineral.

In the carb controlled world (Atkins, South Beach, type II diabetes, etc.) you have three types of food: Carbohydrates, vegetables, and protein. Beans are considered a protein, not a vegetable, and not a carb. Yes, beans have carbs, but the amount of fiber in beans pretty much neutralizes the effect of the carbs. Peas and corn are considered carbs, and should be treated as a carb, NOT a vegetable.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppose
well i can report ive lost 7 lbs in 2-3 days just eating chicken with tomatos n pickles lol. will powered the beejezuz out of it haha. a decent amount of excersize was also involved so can't give all the credit to the food :)
I'd give a lot of credit to the lack of water. When you don't eat carbs, you're also not taking in the HYDRATE part, which is water, so most of the weight you lose in the beginning of low-carb diets is water weight. To avoid dehydration, drink lots of water.

This site has lots of South Beach-compatible recipes: Kalyn's Kitchen
Old 06-17-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

You can have icecream...have you tried Edy's Brand...no sugar added. I found it much healthier than the regular brand of icecream.
peppermint patie07