"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annageckos View Post
Pickles have carbs, minimal but there. Pork rinds are carb free though and good in place of crackers. I realize some people may not care about the single carb in a serving of pickles but for others it matters. I'm diabetic and every carb counts. Since I starting staying at under 20g of carbs a day my blood sugar is so much lower and under much better control.
I'm in the same boat as you, and agree completely. I also try to stay under 20g carbs per day. My A1c used to be 12.5. Since going ketogenic three years ago, it now averages 5.0-5.2, which puts me back in a normal range.

As for low carb products, I don't really have any good suggestions. I tend to not eat pre-packaged foods, and stick pretty much with fresh meat, eggs, and vegetables.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, and agree completely. I also try to stay under 20g carbs per day. My A1c used to be 12.5. Since going ketogenic three years ago, it now averages 5.0-5.2, which puts me back in a normal range.
That is really great, I still have to get my A1c done. It was in the same range as yours last year(pre keto). I know it will be better, but I don't know where it will be. This is the first time I am looking forward to having it done.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:15 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

As for low carb products, I don't really have any good suggestions. I tend to not eat pre-packaged foods, and stick pretty much with fresh meat, eggs, and vegetables.
Smart way to go.Eat real food.Works for me, worked for my Grandmother and it really doesn't that more time.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:24 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Doing this can cause nutritional deficiencies. Not everyone has a good handle on nutrition and where it comes from. Lots of teenage girls go vegan and think they'll be fine eating French fries and salads.
Eliminate processed food,sweets, soft drinks, pasta, add in legumes, veggies, fruits, fish ( not canned), meat, cheese, eggs,snd dairy, a person should be
good to go. No chips, no whateve else seesr there is, i only buy and eat real food. Walk on by the other stuff. Pretty easy to do.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:40 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Eliminate processed food,sweets, soft drinks, pasta, add in legumes, veggies, fruits, fish ( not canned), meat, cheese, eggs,snd dairy, a person should be
good to go. No chips, no whateve else seesr there is, i only buy and eat real food. Walk on by the other stuff. Pretty easy to do.
I understand. You understand. Not everyone does. That was my point.