"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Low Carb Products

There are many of us who have cut down on carbs and I thought this would be a good place to post low carb products we may have discovered.

I've always loved non fat milk although I don't handle lactose well and the brand of lactose free milk I've been using only occasionally has 13g of carbs per cup! I don't like the texture of Almond Milk although it has no carbs.
Here's my find...It tastes great, and the carb count per cup is only 6g.
I'm doing a happy dance.

https://fairlife.com/our-products/skim-milk/

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I can tell you what items to say away from.

Miracle Noodle

They make rice, pasta a bunch of carb free products. Read the reviews and they tell you if you rinse them really well the fishy smell goes away. They were right but I found the finished product to have a slimy, cellulose texture and I threw them all out...and they are pricey.
Save your money

I love spiralized zucchini for pasta and cauliflower rice. I see that birds eye now sells the cauliflower rice and cauliflower mashed "potatoes", but I haven't tried them.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
There are many of us who have cut down on carbs and I thought this would be a good place to post low carb products we may have discovered.

I've always loved non fat milk although I don't handle lactose well and the brand of lactose free milk I've been using only occasionally has 13g of carbs per cup! I don't like the texture of Almond Milk although it has no carbs.
Here's my find...It tastes great, and the carb count per cup is only 6g.
I'm doing a happy dance.

https://fairlife.com/our-products/skim-milk/
I mix almond milk with a bit of heavy cream, so it's not so watery. Less carbs and taste pretty good too.

The only low carb products I've been using are protein powders, mostly ISO and quest. I like the ISO better. Make mug cakes, pancakes, 'french toast' and my new favorite, popsicles. I was never a fan of pasta so haven't felt the need for the different low carb noodles.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Anna, what is ISO and quest? How do you make low carb cakes, pancakes and french toast with it?

Old 07-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

They are two brands of protein powder. They vary but are about 2-3 carbs per serving depending on flavor. There are lots of recipes online for baked goods using protein powder. The french toast I kinda made up on my own. It's not as good as normal french toast and I have some experimenting to do still, but it's good. I make a mug cake then slice it up into three pieces, dredge in egg mix like you would do for normal french toast and fry up. Lots of butter and suger free syrup, I've been using Walden Farms.

Here is the link for the pancake recipe, it's really good. https://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes...carb-pancakes/

This mug cake doesn't use protein powder, but is good. https://www.ruled.me/churro-mug-cake/

This one uses protein powder, it's a little dry. I've added some melted butter and cream cheese, I think I need to add more. Or a sauce would help. This is the recipe I use to make french toast with, I add spices to the batter as well as the egg mix. I haven't tried baking it in the oven, only nuked it. Healthy 1 Minute Low Carb Vanilla Mug Cake
Old 07-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks so much for the great info Anna!!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks so much for the great info Anna!!
I view this similar to to replace meat when going vegetarian or vegan. Just eliminate those products a d find something else you like.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
Master Chef

Pickles and pork rinds are carb free snacks.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Pickles have carbs, minimal but there. Pork rinds are carb free though and good in place of crackers. I realize some people may not care about the single carb in a serving of pickles but for others it matters. I'm diabetic and every carb counts. Since I starting staying at under 20g of carbs a day my blood sugar is so much lower and under much better control.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I view this similar to to replace meat when going vegetarian or vegan. Just eliminate those products a d find something else you like.
Doing this can cause nutritional deficiencies. Not everyone has a good handle on nutrition and where it comes from. Lots of teenage girls go vegan and think they'll be fine eating French fries and salads.