"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
This looks good. I would probably just replace the black beans with a suitable protein (chicken, beef, or pork would work) and call it good.

I just recently saw a recipe for low carb flaxseed tortillas, so I may have to do some Mexican cooking here soon.
I thought you'd have to replace the beans and the corn, and the commercial enchilada sauce. I was thinking meat instead of the beans. Pork or chicken were my first thoughts. Might have to back off on the cheese--that looks pretty gooey!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:10 AM   #92
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I thought you'd have to replace the beans and the corn, and the commercial enchilada sauce. I was thinking meat instead of the beans. Pork or chicken were my first thoughts. Might have to back off on the cheese--that looks pretty gooey!
Cheese is fine and perfectly fits in with a ketogenic diet (which is both low carb AND high fat).

You could use vegetables other than corn. Green beans and bell peppers, for example. It's been a long time since I've picked up a can of enchilada sauce, so I'm not sure of the ingredients. Generally speaking, some of the thickeners used commercially are keto friendly. It more boils down to what the carbohydrate content is.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know if beets are Keto friendly or not, but I am so in love with golden beet chips (deep-fried, thinly sliced) dipped in yogurt with "Chef's seasoning" (don't know what that is--bought it at the African market--a bit of citrus, hot pepper, garlic, onion, dill...) I mix up the "dip" while the chips are in the deep fryer...sprinkle a bit of salt on the chips when you take them out of the fryer--just like potato chips. Crunchy, salty if you put the salt on, could go with a burger, on top of s/thing (dare I say hot dish?), yummy.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #94
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Depends on the natural carb load in the beets = 13 g carbs per serving with 4 g dietary fiber brings them to 9 g carb a serving. I am only allowed 9 g carb per day to stay in ketosis.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Depends on the natural carb load in the beets = 13 g carbs per serving with 4 g dietary fiber brings them to 9 g carb a serving. I am only allowed 9 g carb per day to stay in ketosis.
What does a typical meal plan for a day look like with 9 g of carb/serving?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #96
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Breakfast
coffee with 1 T coconut oil and 1 T heavy cream
1 egg in butter, can add cheese if I want

Snack
1/4 mixed nuts, almond heavy in the mix

Lunch
2 T homemade mayonnaise, 1 T spicy mustard, 1 T vinegar, 1 tsp dried herbs shaken together and poured over 1 1/2 cup shredded cabbage, topped with Tuna in oil or curried dark meat chicken

snack
butter lettuce with full fat cheese, oil and vinegar, sunflower seeds

dinner
more greens, usually asparagus, crimini mushrooms sauteed in butter, 2 ounce steak with butter, sometimes liver and onions over spinach, that is cooked in bacon grease. Many dinners are just steamed or sauteed veg with a butter heavy sauce.

If I need another snack cheese with butter, maybe ham slice or I may treat myself with 1 ounce of 82% chocolate.

I drink water all day, sometimes just plain black coffee or tea.

No grains, no sugar, only thing canned I eat is the tuna.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Cauliflower "Wings"!

Sticky Peanut Cauliflower Wings [Vegan, Gluten-Free] | One Green Planet
Old 06-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #98
Head Chef

If you're tired of the same old snacks I highly recommend making Chef John's jerky. So, so good.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #99
Wine Guy

Thought it might be a good time to revive this thread. Is anyone here on DC still on a ketogenic diet?

I've managed to stick with it for almost 9 months now. I've lost about 80 pounds, but have plateaued recently. I don't have a lot more to lose, and if I don't lose anther pound, I'm okay with that. I've found it very, very easy to maintain my current weight on this diet - something I've never been able to do in the past.

I wanted to post a photo of a dinner I had recently while dining out in South Sioux City, Nebraska. It was what I would consider to be an almost perfect keto meal: a 6 ounce, 35-day aged (yes - 5 weeks!), grass-fed New York strip steak. At first, I thought the block sitting on top of the steak was cheese, but turned out to be 2 ounces of compound butter. The steak is also sitting in a pool of Bearnaise sauce. On the left is creamed Swiss chard with with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

I didn't lose any weight on this trip, but I didn't gain any, either. When I got home, I was happy to find I was the exact same weight as when I left.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #100
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
My most recent keto "find" doesn't involve food at all, but rather the lack of it.

For the last few weeks, I've been experimenting with a technique known as intermittent fasting (or IF) which is described in several keto resources, where you rely entirely on fat stores to provide fuel, rather than dietary fat.

Today I'm on the second day of a fast that began Tuesday evening. Weirdly, I don't feel much hunger at all. In fact I feel great, and was even able to go for a workout yesterday afternoon. I guess this is one of the advantages of being fully adapted to burning ketones instead of glucose derived from carbohydrates. Six months ago I wouldn't have been able to go without food for more than 12 hours at most.

The only "food" I've consumed has been coffee with cream in the morning, and just water for the remainder of the day. Tonight I plan on having a real dinner.

This has also (not surprisingly) brought my blood sugar down considerably. Yesterday it was in the low to mid 70s most of the day. When I got up this morning it was 79. Normally my BG is always around 90 in the morning. I'll continue to check it throughout the day to make sure it doesn't drop too low.
Full disclosure: I skipped the thread past this post.

Steve, I did this a few months back and dropped a lot of weight and got to eat like a slob once a day without feeling hungry. The first two days were weird because I had hungry feeling but I wasn't hungry. It showed me my "hunger" was really just habit. After that, I would get through my day, eat a combo of lunch and dinner meals between 6 and 8 pm and feel fine.

I am in the process of making a menu and trying out the slow carb diet to see how my luck is with that. Combined with EGCg, garlic and cold exposure, I've been able to eat like an absolute pig for days and remain at 196# when any other time, I would have gotten back to 215. I've actually been trying to get to an even 200# before I start my experiment, but I just can't put the last 4 pounds on.

Also, as a reply to your last post, when you hit the "end" of your weight loss, the only way left (without drugs) is eating constantly. I mean getting up in the middle of the night to make sure you constantly have something in your system. 80 pounds is amazing and congrats to you on your loss. From the best of my research you have to load up on protein basically every 4 hours. The clock is your drill sergeant, you eat when it tells you.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote