"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-08-2015, 07:30 AM   #101
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Thought it might be a good time to revive this thread. Is anyone here on DC still on a ketogenic diet?

I've managed to stick with it for almost 9 months now. I've lost about 80 pounds, but have plateaued recently. I don't have a lot more to lose, and if I don't lose anther pound, I'm okay with that. I've found it very, very easy to maintain my current weight on this diet - something I've never been able to do in the past.

I wanted to post a photo of a dinner I had recently while dining out in South Sioux City, Nebraska. It was what I would consider to be an almost perfect keto meal: a 6 ounce, 35-day aged (yes - 5 weeks!), grass-fed New York strip steak. At first, I thought the block sitting on top of the steak was cheese, but turned out to be 2 ounces of compound butter. The steak is also sitting in a pool of Bearnaise sauce. On the left is creamed Swiss chard with with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

I didn't lose any weight on this trip, but I didn't gain any, either. When I got home, I was happy to find I was the exact same weight as when I left.

That looks wonderful, Steve. Yes, I am back on ketogenic since the move. Mom and Dad are ketoing it, too! Makes it easier to stay accountable if there are others fasting and eating with you. We fast on Tuesdays. Shrek is on a modified Keto...he's working his way off carbs at this point. I was just glad when he quit drinking Pepsi recently.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #102
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Stuffed green olives and cream cheese is a great filling for crunchy celery stalks, sprinkle a few toasted walnuts on top!

A few of them stuck together, with the filling between two pieces of celery, are a nice addition to a picnic or bag lunch.

Aunt Bea, I eat cream cheese in celery quite often, but I never thought to add some chopped olives to it. Great!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #103
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Aunt Bea, I eat cream cheese in celery quite often, but I never thought to add some chopped olives to it. Great!
In the old days, when I could still eat bread, that made a nice sandwich filling. These days I spread it on celery and cucumber rounds. You can also spread it on a slice of deli ham, turkey, etc... and roll it up. Those rollups are a nice addition to a summer salad plate.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #104
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
In the old days, when I could still eat bread, that made a nice sandwich filling. These days I spread it on celery and cucumber rounds. You can also spread it on a slice of deli ham, turkey, etc... and roll it up. Those rollups are a nice addition to a summer salad plate.
You always have such good ideas, Aunt Bea!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #105
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
This was Himself's version a few days ago (can you see why I don't want him to do any more cooking than on the grill??):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-01 03.03.44.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	23218  
Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

Closetcooking.com also has some great low carb recipes.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

http://deliciouslyella.com
has some recipes that don't use flour. Her brownie recipe is delish. The other blog I like is closet cooking.com. Kevin recently posted about 50 of his low carb recipes.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #108
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
http://deliciouslyella.com
has some recipes that don't use flour. Her brownie recipe is delish. The other blog I like is closet cooking.com. Kevin recently posted about 50 of his low carb recipes.
The brownie recipe looks great, but contains too many ingredients that wouldn't work on a ketogenic diet. For example, dates, orange juice, and maple syrup.

This is one that I've used, and only has about 2g net carbs per serving:
Maria Mind Body Health | low carb brownies, sugar free brownies, gluten free brownies

(I do get a little annoyed with her unsubstantiated health claims, however.)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #109
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dad got the cookbook that came out of the South African Conference, Professor Tim Noakes is one of the authors. I perused the cookbook last night. Very nice and only using real foods. Unfortunately it's only for sale in England...but Amazon can get it for you.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #110
Head Chef

Flourless Chocolate Torte from Maria Emmerich

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote