"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 09-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #111
Head Chef

I'm back on the keto team.
Blood pressure, a problem but it's holding.
Exercise, I need it, everyday. I need to lose weight.
Blood sugar, never a problem until now, it's a tiny bit high.
Started in earnest yesterday and today. Tomorrow is day 3 so, exercise will have to be part of it.

Eggplant breaded with eggs and coconut flour, cooked in olive oil/butter, topped with a little cheese and tomato sauce (homemade). The coconut flour has no coconut taste after frying.
Thin sliced salami, spread with a mixture of cream cheese/minced kalamata olives/chopped fine walnuts.
Cream in coffee or caffix all day long.
Raw salad of chopped tomatoes/peppers/onions/cucumber/lemon juice/olive oil/garlic/S&P. (2 cups at a time)
Eggs fried in coconut oil and butter.
That's what I've been eating for the past 2 days.
I need more variety and I wonder what I'll be able to eat for vegetables in the winter time!

I saw that recipe for the flourless Chocolate Torte, Zereh, that looks good.
I'm not craving anything.

Tomorrow I'm planning on making chop suey with pork loin, lots of veggies some sauce and I'll forgo the rice.

The caffix, I'd never tried it before to replace coffee, no caffeine especially late at night. It's amazingly delicious and satisfying with a little cream.

Does anyone have experience with Swerve? I've never used it. How does it do with your blood sugar?
Any encouragement is welcome.
OH and by the way, the fruit smoothies, w/o added sugar, I had to quit them, too much natural sugar!
The lettuce garden is producing lettuce so I'll be adding that to my diet tomorrow.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Blissful, Steve Kroll uses Swerve, and is also diabetic. I've never tried it, but it's working for Steve.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #113
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Blissful, Steve Kroll uses Swerve, and is also diabetic. I've never tried it, but it's working for Steve.
Hi Dawgluver, nice to see you.
From what I read, Steve hit his goal, that's fantastic, I wonder how he is doing now maintaining it. I'm guessing he is doing good!
Old 09-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #114
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Hi Dawgluver, nice to see you.
From what I read, Steve hit his goal, that's fantastic, I wonder how he is doing now maintaining it. I'm guessing he is doing good!
Hi Blissful!

I hit my first goal, which was 50 lbs, back in February. Since then, I've continued to lose weight, although more slowly. I've now lost a total of 88 pounds. I have another 9 lbs to go to get to the weight I was when my wife and I first met.

Back then she thought I was a nice looking, slender guy. Let's hope she still thinks so.

I have had no problem at all keeping the weight off, as long as I stick to the plan. It goes up or down a pound from time to time, but I have to say that this has been the easiest diet ever for maintaining weight.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #115
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Hi Blissful!

I hit my first goal, which was 50 lbs, back in February. Since then, I've continued to lose weight, although more slowly. I've now lost a total of 88 pounds. I have another 9 lbs to go to get to the weight I was when my wife and I first met.

Back then she thought I was a nice looking, slender guy. Let's hope she still thinks so.

I have had no problem at all keeping the weight off, as long as I stick to the plan. It goes up or down a pound from time to time, but I have to say that this has been the easiest diet ever for maintaining weight.
HI Steve! You are doing so well! I bet your DW is happy for your happiness with your weight loss.
Did Swerve prove to be a useful sweetener in the long run and does it impact BS?
I hope you don't mind all my questions. How has your keto diet changed from the beginning to the maintenance and slow loss you are doing now? Thanks!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #116
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
HI Steve! You are doing so well! I bet your DW is happy for your happiness with your weight loss.
Did Swerve prove to be a useful sweetener in the long run and does it impact BS?
I hope you don't mind all my questions. How has your keto diet changed from the beginning to the maintenance and slow loss you are doing now? Thanks!
Swerve doesn't affect my blood sugar one bit. I don't have a problem with most artificial sweeteners, to be honest, but Swerve tastes the best, in my opinion.

My keto diet hasn't changed at all. It's very easy to maintain my current weight if I stick to the plan. If I go up a pound, I skip a meal the next day - and usually go down 3 pounds. It's weird how this things works.

My blood sugar is completely stable and the doctor even took the word "diabetic" off my record this year. That was the ultimate reward for staying with this.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:10 AM   #117
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Steve, do you mind telling us how many carbs/day you allow yourself?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:33 AM   #118
Wine Guy

I try to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day. But there are days I've had as many as 30 or 40.

The funny thing is I don't really track very closely anymore. It's become second nature when eating at home, because I more or less know what has carbs and what doesn't. Dining out is always sort of the wild card.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #119
Master Chef

Does anyone have a TNT recipe for making a low carb baking mix or APF substitute?

I have purchased this from Nuts.com and it is very good for making pancakes, breading chicken, etc...

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/mixes...bread-mix.html

I would prefer a recipe for a similar mixture that I could make using locally available ingredients.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #120
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Does anyone have a TNT recipe for making a low carb baking mix or APF substitute?

I have purchased this from Nuts.com and it is very good for making pancakes, breading chicken, etc...

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/mixes...bread-mix.html

I would prefer a recipe for a similar mixture that I could make using locally available ingredients.

Thanks!
Aunt Bea,

Unfortunately, I'm completely grain free, so I don't actually use products like those because they almost always contain oats, rice, or wheat - even though they are still technically "low carb."