"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #121
Head Chef

Thanks Steve.

I'm going to try making that 'amazing bread' today since I have all the ingredients in the house.

Here are some of the things that have hit the grocery list this past 2 months that I enjoy and eat.
salmon
pollack
herring
braunschweiger (75% fat, 20% protien, 5% carb--nearly perfect)
avocados
lettuce, tomatoes, onion, green and red peppers (garden, salads and sauce, soup, juice)
cream (and lots of it)
butter, olive oil
zucchini
eggplant
cucumbers
cheese (cheddar, cream cheese, swiss, parmesan + variety)
pork, beef, chicken, sausage, bacon
greens (beet, chard)
green beans, some peas and pea pods
bean sprouts
shrimp
almonds, walnut (my go to snack)
almonds (for flour)
psyllium husk powder, xantham gum
coconut oil
coconut flour
70% dark chocolate, cocoa
xylitol, splenda
eggs (often)
pork rinds (for breading)
cottage cheese
apple cider vinegar
garlic, oregano, thyme, sage, celery (garden)
sour cream
coffee and caffix (no soda, no alcohol)
crystal light
broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, mushrooms

I think that about covers what I have on hand, minus the fresh vegetables, which I run out of frequently, and the eggs and dairy products.
[tomato soup, tomato sauce w/sugars, tomato juice, zucchini lasagna, mushrooms sausage in cream cheese sauce, scampi zucchini and shrimp, beef or pork chop suey, eggplant parmesan, scrambled cheese eggs, salads, cauliflower mashed, cream of broccoli soup, cabbage cooked/sauerkraut as a side, ++]

Anyone have anything I missed on the shopping list?

Old 11-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #122
Master Chef

That's a really good list Blissful.

My grocery list also includes my dry white wine, as it only contains 2 carbs per glass. I also drink unsweetened Almond Milk. I think many forget to drink LOTS of plain WATER. For me, it just doesn't work without that. It sounds like you and I have been doing it the same amount of time, although I've used similar plans throughout my "diet career"..;}

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #123
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's a really good list Blissful.

My grocery list also includes my dry white wine, as it only contains 2 carbs per glass. I also drink unsweetened Almond Milk. I think many forget to drink LOTS of plain WATER. For me, it just doesn't work without that. It sounds like you and I have been doing it the same amount of time, although I've used similar plans throughout my "diet career"..;}
Good idea. I didn't think of wine. Last night I was thinking of a white russian made with cream and artificial sugar, instant coffee powder (?) and some alcohol, but I couldn't come up with a recipe before I decided not to have a drink. Then I was thinking of making a bloody mary type drink, canned tomato juice, worchestershire, vodka, hot sauce (?), maybe a pickle spear, olives on a big tooth pick, a stick of celery, festive, and I was too tired to bother with it, maybe soon.

Almond milk is a good idea. I'm not much of a milk drinker so if I have any I'd just pop some almonds in the blender with water, and strain or not strain.
Water, absolutely, lots of it. I've taken off 10 lbs but I'm stable at that weight and I'd like to lose another 10 lbs.

The bread is half baked, risen beautifully, purple (but I don't care what color it is), and when it's done, I'll let it cool, slice it and bake it into dry toast, for crackers. Crackers are one thing I am always looking for, to top with cheese, cheese spreads, liver sausage. None of those foods are quite as nice eaten alone or on lettuce leaves.
The bread makes 20 slices, and that would be 1 T psyllium powder per 2 slices (one serving). I'm guessing 1/2 serving, one slice (4 crackers) would be the 1/2 T psyllium powder I usually take with my vitamins each day. My doctor recommended B-complex, multi, D, magnesium, calcium, and fish oil.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #124
Master Chef

Bliss, so far I'm ok without bread, but you hit the nail on the head when you said:" Crackers are one thing I am always looking for, to top with cheese, cheese spreads, liver sausage. None of those foods are quite as nice eaten alone or on lettuce leaves."
Cheese without crackers is tragic.
I'm sure no baker, but I came across this recipe the other day, and I might give it a go. I adore sesame seeds.
Gluten-Free Sesame Crackers Recipe | Elana's Pantry

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #125
Head Chef

That cracker recipe looks really good, I will try it next. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #126
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I try to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day. But there are days I've had as many as 30 or 40.

The funny thing is I don't really track very closely anymore. It's become second nature when eating at home, because I more or less know what has carbs and what doesn't. Dining out is always sort of the wild card.
Eating out has been a huge challenge for me. Not dining out, but eating out as in "I need something quick and fast and 'to-go'."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Does anyone have a TNT recipe for making a low carb baking mix or APF substitute?

I have purchased this from Nuts.com and it is very good for making pancakes, breading chicken, etc...

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/mixes...bread-mix.html

I would prefer a recipe for a similar mixture that I could make using locally available ingredients.

Thanks!
I have been playing a lot with different kinds of flours, and have happened on some items that have been very useful. I've not made it yet, but I happened across a mixture of almond, coconut, and quinoa (you need to roast it though) flours with psyllium husks. I also made this bread and found it to be really good. So far, I've made hot dog buns and sandwich rolls. (I cut back on the onion/garlic powder and used egg whites from the carton.)

~Kathleen
Old 11-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #127
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Bliss, so far I'm ok without bread, but you hit the nail on the head when you said:" Crackers are one thing I am always looking for, to top with cheese, cheese spreads, liver sausage. None of those foods are quite as nice eaten alone or on lettuce leaves."
Cheese without crackers is tragic.
I'm sure no baker, but I came across this recipe the other day, and I might give it a go. I adore sesame seeds.
Gluten-Free Sesame Crackers Recipe | Elana's Pantry

Kayelle, there are terrific crisps made with Parmesan, which I'm not thinking about it as a cracker for another cheese, but for sausage or other spreads. They are pretty easy to make. Pre-heat oven (generally between 350 - 400 degrees Fahrenheit) and pat out the grated Parmesan on a silicon pad to 1/4 inch thick. Then bake for around 10 minutes or until crisp. Watch carefully because it can go from crisp to burned in a very short time.

Here is a photo of some that we made with a salmon & cream cheese spread. It was crunchy and wonderful!

~Kathleen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-01 13.09.44.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	23875  
Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've made parm crisps with the "green can" parm in the microwave! They're good!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #129
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm been working with a paleo/gluten-free baker lately. We have had many interesting conversations about how to make keto-friendly baked goods (especially breads--she makes amazing blueberry paleo muffins. For those she doesn't use a GF mix because the one she uses has beans in it (for the missing protein). This is because she also does V-GF and doesn't want to add milk/dry milk for the extra protein. I was looking at some of these recipes. The crackers look as if they might be keto-friendly or easy to convert to keto-friendly:

Paleo/Primal Gluten-Free Baked Goods Recipes She uses a lot of egg whites in the paleo recipes and physllium (sp).
Old 12-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #130
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I was looking at some of these recipes. The crackers look as if they might be keto-friendly or easy to convert to keto-friendly:

Paleo/Primal Gluten-Free Baked Goods Recipes She uses a lot of egg whites in the paleo recipes and physllium (sp).
You're right.

A lot of those recipes are absolutely acceptable on a keto diet. A few call for things like raisins and honey, which aren't, but could be adapted relatively easily.