"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #131
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Eating out has been a huge challenge for me. Not dining out, but eating out as in "I need something quick and fast and 'to-go'."
A few fast food options:
Keto and Fast Food: On the Go | Ruled Me

Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #132
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
That's a terrific link Steve! I've taken advantage of many of those ideas when out and about.

I've gone out to lunch every Tuesday for years with my same "Lunch Bunch" ladies. We like to go different places and they chose an Italian place for today. Oh lowrd, how I miss pasta but I was a good girl! They all had their high carb meals and I had Eggplant Parm. loaded with cheese and a side of two delicious meat balls and salad.
PF had a great idea a while back by ordering a small dinner salad with a sandwich holding the bread. She dumped the sandwich goodies on top of the salad, and had a table made to order delicious lunch. Brilliant!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #133
Head Chef

I had made the 'amazing bread' and sliced it into bread width slices then halved, then crisped them up in the oven until completely dry. These are rock hard, but if they had been sliced much thinner, they would have made better crackers. These are the ones made with the psyllium husk.

I made the almond flour crackers and exchanged some sunflower seeds ground up for part of the flour.
I ground the almonds in the food processor. Then ground the sunflower seeds while they are frozen (to avoid having butter) until very fine.

1 1/2 sheet pan of almond crackers
1 cup ground almonds
1/2 cup ground sunflower seeds
3/4 t salt
1 T olive oil
1 egg
I put all this in the food processor until it started to clump into a ball.
On parchment (the size of a 1/2 sheet pan), scoop out the dough, put another sheet of parchment on top, roll out to fill the pan, this will be very thin 1/8 inch, piecing excess from the edges to fill the missing spots. Remove the top parchment. Score into cracker sizes with a knife.
I baked it on the back of the 1/2 sheet pan on parchment. 325 degrees F for 15 minutes. Let cool, break apart.

These turned out good, they are not 'crispity crunchy', they are more 'crunchy chew' (like nuts chew). Good taste, pretty rich.

I was looking for something in between the amazing bread and the almond crackers. The next recipe I'm going to try will have almonds, sunflower seeds, salt, psyllium husk powder, and water. Hopefully I'll find it more 'crispity crunchy'.

All in all, it was great fun, and I've been able to use everything with some cheddar spread.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #134
Assistant Cook

Hi- I try to do a lot of low carb too. I make an almond flour crust quiche that would fit in here I think. 2 c almond flour, 1 egg, a couple tablespoons of olive or coconut oil and some Parmesan cheese in the crust. Par bake it. Then whatever quiche you want to make. Pretty sure the only carbs are from the cheese. The olive oil is better for savory. Leave out the cheese and use the coconut oil and it can make a good sweeter crust. :)

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 01-16-2016, 03:00 PM   #135
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresJenny View Post
Hi- I try to do a lot of low carb too. I make an almond flour crust quiche that would fit in here I think. 2 c almond flour, 1 egg, a couple tablespoons of olive or coconut oil and some Parmesan cheese in the crust. Par bake it. Then whatever quiche you want to make. Pretty sure the only carbs are from the cheese. The olive oil is better for savory. Leave out the cheese and use the coconut oil and it can make a good sweeter crust. :)
Just FYI, there is less than one gram of carbohydrate in that entire recipe, assuming 2 tbsp of Parmesan. Cheese is almost all fat and protein. There are 4 grams of carb in 1 cup of Parmesan.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #136
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresJenny View Post
Pretty sure the only carbs are from the cheese.
I make a similar crust that I've used for everything from quiche to cheesecake to pumpkin pie. It's a good recipe.

Don't overlook the carbs in the almond flour. There is 24g net carbs in that ingredient alone. However, if you're dividing a recipe into 8-12 servings, it's negligible.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #137
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Just FYI, there is less than one gram of carbohydrate in that entire recipe, assuming 2 tbsp of Parmesan. Cheese is almost all fat and protein. There are 4 grams of carb in 1 cup of Parmesan.
Oops - almond flour isn't in my Living Cookbook ingredient database, so it wasn't included in the nutrition calculation. Never mind
Old 04-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #138
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was Googling some stuff about low carb diets and came across this very interesting video by a Canadian doctor.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #139
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have watched all the Jason Fung videos, he is fantastic.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #140
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have watched all the Jason Fung videos, he is fantastic.
I thought he made some very interesting and surprising points in that video. It certainly explains a lot.