"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 08-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #151
Senior Cook

Hi Steve - these look great. low carb works great for me, I just struggle when I travel for some reason. I am always interested in any recipe that you have that are T&T. thanks

Hal

Old 09-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #152
Head Chef

Want to know what happens when you just have a little pasta here, a little bread there, a few french fries for a couple weeks? I know, gained 5 lbs.

I went back on less than 20 g carbs again, starving for 3 days, ate almost no carbs and ate my fill. Lots of protein, fat, some vegetables. I was full on the 4th day. All is well, I'm back on low carb again. Things feel good too.

I ran across the shirataki tofu macaroni (2 servings) at a select grocer. They had a funny texture, kind of squinchy, not tender like macaroni, but edible. I'll finish the second serving but I'm not sure I liked it that much. Another thing I picked up was some tempeh. I've never eaten it before. It's low in carbs per serving. I'm going to give it a try very soon.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #153
Head Chef

I LIKED the tempeh a lot, good texture, nutty mild flavor. I made it like Larry recommends, browning slices of it in oil. Then I made a curry, with curry paste, onions, garlic S&P, tomato sauce, coconut milk, zucchini. Once I had the sauce boiling, I put the browned tempeh in, and cooked it all down until it was a thick sauce. I liked it, a lot. I'll get that again. It has 3 carbs per serving. That was my first time trying tempeh.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #154
Executive Chef

Looks like I joined the club. Doc says I have to cut back on carbs...It's been a week and I have lost 8 lbs...basically just meat, cheese and vegetables so far. Feel good but hoping to get more variety in my meals...I'm going to go hardcore for a month, when I go back to see him. Then, once(if) I can get down to a desired target, I will start introducing more things. I don't know much about diets as I have always eaten and drank whatever I wanted. Which is why I am here, I suppose..
Old 10-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #155
Master Chef

Welcome to the club Rock. It's really not as hard as you might think. Occasionally I miss food high in carbs, but not often anymore. It's just a different way of thinking actually. I know you love to cook, as I do, and you'll find it's an interesting culinary adventure in time.
Best of luck...you're sure off to a great start!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:35 AM   #156
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Butter and Coconut oil, Roch! Toss eggs in there for some variety. Seafood is your friend, too...especially oily fish. Good Luck!