"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I only come up with 114 g carbs for the whole recipe.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
Cupcake

Aunt Bea, I am really enjoying the pork rind breading. Tonight I made this recipe with cod. It was moist, crunchy, and truly a treat. I will say that I believe I can get by with less rinds to keep the crunch. Mine had a bit too much breading, but the areas with less were just as crunchy! I will definitely use it on Fried Green Tomatoes this summer. I bet it would make good onion rings too. :)

Steve, I've been running between 20 and 30 net carbs a day, but I cannot get my proteins down as much as I want - and the pork rind breading did not help with that! Also, the fats...I really need to up my fat intake. I run about 60 to 65% fats. :/

PF, you never need an excuse for another kitchen gadget. :)

~Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Breading is still something I'm working on. Seasoned breadcrumbs are the last high carb item in my pantry, they are on the way out!
Try using a combination of ground almonds or other nuts and Romano cheese as a replacement for all or part of the breadcrumbs. The other strategy I use is to simply use less or "seek the minimum". It has taken me a long, long time to gradually reduce or eliminate breading from various recipes.

I have gradually moved away from topping casseroles with breadcrumbs, crushed potato chips, onion rings etc... I scatter a few slivered almonds on top for a little crunch, visual interest and a touch of luxury.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
Wine Guy

Keto friendly burger buns!

I found this recipe on a keto diet blog. They taste fantastic and only have a little over 4 net carbs. According to the blogger, they freeze well, too. If you've been missing bread, this is a good option.

The KetoDiet Blog | Ultimate Keto Buns

Old 02-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had guacamole wraps with butter lettuce for lunch. Quite tasty!

Guacamole:
1 Haas Avocado
1 tsp grated garlic, used the microplane
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 tbls Avocado oil
1/2 cup grape tomatoes rough chopped
1 tbls lemon juice

Spread onto leaves of butter lettuce and rolled up, chilled for thirty minutes.

I will use the smaller inside leaves of the lettuce for a bed for no mayo tuna salad for dinner tonight.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
Wine Guy

This afternoon I have a board meeting for my wine club. We have these once a month and, while we do conduct business, it's also a social gathering with a potluck (Everyone brings wine, too. No surprise there).

Anyway, I was asked to bring a dessert today. So I had a challenge to take on. I ended up making a pumpkin-almond cheesecake. I used a standard flourless cheesecake recipe, and simply replaced the sugar with Splenda. I actually tamed back the sweetness just a bit. I've found with Splenda that it's usually better to under sweeten in order to get a more natural flavor. The crust and topping is made from finely chopped toasted almonds, almond flour, butter, cinnamon, and just a little bit of sweetener. As near as I can tell it should be about 7 grams net carbs per slice (12 slices)

I've tasted all the components separately, and they are good by themselves. So I hope the whole thing comes together and tastes cohesive.

The photo doesn't really do it justice. It's actually more of a light pumpkin color.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #16
Master Chef

Have any of you tried making a "potato" salad using cauliflower or rutabaga! If you have please pass along any tips, hints or recipes that you have found helpful.

I think I will try a half recipe of this one as my first attempt!

Helen's Low-Carb "Potato" Salad - BigOven 258515
Old 02-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
Wine Guy

I haven't tried that Aunt Bea. Even if it doesn't taste exactly like potato salad, I bet it will be good.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #18
Cupcake

I have been intending to make those buns. The faux-tato salad sounds great too. I wonder which would be better: rutabaga or cauliflower.

If it is good, I can guarantee that I have the Memorial Day menu almost planned. :)

Using grated parmesan, crackers were made here today. Basically, spread the cheese in a very thin layer and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 -20 minutes until they were melted. Peel them off and they are crisp when cooled.

A good substitute for a cracker!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love the pepperoni and parmesan chips, I don't miss crackers at all.

I've been having fun making all kinds of dips.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Have any of you tried making a "potato" salad using cauliflower or rutabaga! If you have please pass along any tips, hints or recipes that you have found helpful.

I think I will try a half recipe of this one as my first attempt!

Helen's Low-Carb "Potato" Salad - BigOven 258515
I made this today using a fresh cauliflower and some slight adjustments to the seasonings, it's fantastic!

It started me thinking about some variations I would like to try using crumbled crispy bacon or roughly chopped shrimp.

I think this will be a regular feature in my kitchen as a quick way to use leftover cauliflower. A boiled egg with a few odds and ends added to the previous nights cauliflower will make a one pound deli sized batch that would be just right for me as a couple of lunches or dinner sides.

I think it is a mistake to refer to it as Low-Carb Potato Salad. Just call it Cauliflower Salad and take a bowl to your next family cookout with no apologies or explanations!