"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #31
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Have any of you tried making a "potato" salad using cauliflower or rutabaga! If you have please pass along any tips, hints or recipes that you have found helpful.

I think I will try a half recipe of this one as my first attempt!

Helen's Low-Carb "Potato" Salad - BigOven 258515

I just went "all in" with this and made a whole head. Hope it is good.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I just went "all in" with this and made a whole head. Hope it is good.
Please let us know what you and your tasting panel think.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #33
Master Chef

Site Administrator

It was ok. The texture was not quite right It wasn't bad per se but it was no quite what I would have hoped.

It also needed more mustard,and mayhaps some jalapeno.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
It was ok. The texture was not quite right It wasn't bad per se but it was no quite what I would have hoped.

Sorry you didn't care for it.

Maybe you could salvage the leftovers by putting them into a casserole, topping it with some cheese or bread crumbs and baking it until its bubbly and brown on top.

Like my Mother used to say "You can eat it today or you can eat it tomorrow, but you're gonna eat it!"
Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #35
Wine Guy

Quote:

I made up a small batch last night to have with our steaks. I thought the same thing, Frank. It was okay, but there was something missing.

I'll add one more thing to your list: vinegar. I was kind of missing that potato salad tartness you get from a little apple cider vinegar.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #36
Wine Guy

I also agree with Aunt Bea that crumbled bacon might be a nice addition.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #37
Wine Guy

I made another batch of the cauliflower salad today, this time using a whole bag of frozen cauliflower instead of fresh. (note that I am calling a spade a spade - it's not potato salad )

I made it up according to the recipe, with the following changes: I cut the mustard back to two tablespoons and used dijon instead of yellow mustard. No particular reason other than like the flavor of dijon better. I also added a packet of splenda, a tablespoon of white wine vinegar, and a half teaspoon of garlic powder.

It got a thumbs up from Mrs. K, so I'll take that as a good omen. We'll see how it tastes after it's been chilled. I may end up making this for an upcoming potluck.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

That's great, Steve. I was thinking that if you all made it by just replacing potatoes with cauliflower in recipes you already know you like, you might be more successful in ending up with a tasty dish. Sounds like you kinda did that and it worked
Old 03-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #39
Wine Guy

I saw this today on Jimmy Moore's Keto blog, and thought it might be of interest.

Tuesday, March 3rd ONLY - "Keto Clarity" and other low carb Kindle E-Books for $0.99...

Get Keto Clarity & More Low-Carb Kindle E-Books For 99 Cents On March 3, 2015 « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

While there is a link to sign up for Buck Books, if you click on any of the titles it takes you directly to Amazon, so you actually purchase them from there.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #40
Master Chef

I tried a recipe for low carb peanut butter cookies that tasted pretty good to me.

The original recipe called for.

1 cup natural peanut butter
1 large egg
1/2 t pure vanilla extract
1 cup Splenda

Bake for 8-12 minutes at 350 degrees on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

I used a cup of Smucker's natural peanut butter, a medium egg, a half cup of Splenda essentials with fiber and a teaspoon of vanilla. I added two tablespoons of Hershey's sugar free baking chips to half of the dough. I portioned them onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper using a #40 3/4 ounce lavender disher and came up with 16 two bite cookies. I carefully flattened the cookies with a fork to give them that traditional crisscross pattern, baked them for exactly 8 minutes and let them cool on a wire rack.

I'm not sure if the Splenda has anything to do with the structure of the cookies. Next time I will reduce the Splenda to 1/4 cup and if that works I will try leaving it out.

The Hershey's sugar free chips were a great addition. I had never noticed them in the grocery store and was excited to find them in the local Walmart. The chips contain mannitol and may not be an acceptable option for everyone.