"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #51
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I do miss gravy. Did you ever try the Almond flour as a thickener, like in a roux?
I did some gravy experimentation a couple of weeks ago, because we have a dinner party coming up soon, and I want to make sauerbraten with juniper gravy.

The konjac worked best, in my opinion. It makes a smooth gravy that's reminiscent of cornstarch thickened gravies. I didn't care for xanthan - it had kind of a snotty texture. I tried both almond and coconut flour, but they came out somewhat grainy and weird.

By the way, if you ever need to buy more xanthan, I've found Bob's Red Mill brand at my local grocer in the organic/natural foods section. I don't recall the price, but it seems to me it was under $10 for a pound. I figure a pound of the stuff will probably last me for the rest of my life, though, since I only use about a quarter teaspoon at a time.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:50 PM   #52
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at Bob's Red Mill Xanthan. The stuff I got was the Frontier brand in the bulk aisle at the expensive store.

Now to find the Konjac. I found glucomannan at the store I frequent, but it was in capsules.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:58 PM   #53
Wine Guy

I bought it from Amazon and, yes, it is kind of spendy. But like xanthan, a little goes a long way. It's pretty much become my go-to for any recipe that requires a thickening agent. Word of warning, the instructions on the package are horrible. I'm sure they were translated by someone who speaks Japanese as their first language.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AISTA8/...=konjac+powder
Old 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am on a quest to make savory Choux Pastry with Almond Flour. Then I can use the pastries for chicken/tuna salads, breakfast sandwiches, etc.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #55
Wine Guy

I'm very frustrated with myself this morning, and I think I need to stop experimenting. I've come to the realization that me and carbs (or carb-like things) simply do not get along.

Yesterday I tried to introduce a little more variety into our meals by making some coconut flour pancakes for breakfast and having burgers on almond flour buns for dinner. Even though both meals were technically low carb, the result this morning is that I am up 3.2 pounds since I weighed in on Friday. What the heck!? I haven't had a single gain in the previous 10 days.

If it were just me, I would chalk it up to water weight gain or something like that, but my wife, who has lost .2-.4 pounds every single day for the last two weeks is also registering a pound heavier on the scale this morning. And of course I'm getting an earful because of it.

I also have to admit that after eating those pancakes yesterday morning, I felt hungry and listless for the entire day. There just wasn't enough nourishment in that meal.

So I guess it's back to simple meat and vegetable dishes for me.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:17 AM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

How about just one meal a week as an experiment, not two in one day.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #57
Wine Guy

The only time I really have to do these kinds of things are on weekends. So I was trying to be efficient.

Unfortunately, the last time I tried these baking experiments also resulted in a weight gain. At the time I thought maybe it was a fluke, but now I'm convinced there's something about baked goods that just causes my body to rebel in a big way. Maybe all the years I spent making homemade bread are coming back to bite me.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #58
Master Chef

Steve's pancake experiment got me started on a craving!

I went looking for Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix to make some pancakes, no luck! I did find this low carb pancake mix from a local company!

New Hope Mills

I tried it and was very pleased with the results. It is a little pricey considering that the package contains approx. 2 cups of mix for $5.70! I will definitely use it for a special treat now and then.

I'm still curious about the mix from Bob's Red Mill. If any of you have used it please let me know how you liked it.

I have mixed feelings about these little treats. I will still experiment with them, but I really think that I'm better off just focusing on what I can have and not trying to "have my cake" so to speak. I think these little treats cause my cravings to flair up and do me more harm than good. Oh well, nobody said it was easy!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #59
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Steve's pancake experiment got me started on a craving!

I went looking for Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix to make some pancakes, no luck! I did find this low carb pancake mix from a local company!

New Hope Mills

I tried it and was very pleased with the results. It is a little pricey considering that the package contains approx. 2 cups of mix for $5.70! I will definitely use it for a special treat now and then.

I'm still curious about the mix from Bob's Red Mill. If any of you have used it please let me know how you liked it.

I have mixed feelings about these little treats. I will still experiment with them, but I really think that I'm better off just focusing on what I can have and not trying to "have my cake" so to speak. I think these little treats cause my cravings to flair up and do me more harm than good. Oh well, nobody said it was easy!
Yeah, I'm still learning what works for me and what doesn't. I'll probably beat myself over the head a few more times until it sinks in.

The New Hope product looks interesting, but I'd be somewhat concerned about the number one ingredient on the package: wheat gluten. Gluten, and most wheat products in general, is one of those things I've found wreaks havoc with my metabolism and seems to drive carb cravings. So I've been trying to avoid it.

On the success side of things, I had a nice victory yesterday. I tried on an old pair of size 36 waist jeans and they fit! And by "fit" I mean it wasn't even a struggle to fasten them. I haven't worn that size since my wife and I started dating. So I went out last night and treated myself to some new wardrobe items, mostly smaller pants and shirts. In my old clothes, I was beginning to look like I was wearing someone else's hand-me-downs (which in a sense, I was).

Keto on, team!!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Yeah, I'm still learning what works for me and what doesn't. I'll probably beat myself over the head a few more times until it sinks in.

The New Hope product looks interesting, but I'd be somewhat concerned about the number one ingredient on the package: wheat gluten. Gluten, and most wheat products in general, is one of those things I've found wreaks havoc with my metabolism and seems to drive carb cravings. So I've been trying to avoid it.

On the success side of things, I had a nice victory yesterday. I tried on an old pair of size 36 waist jeans and they fit! And by "fit" I mean it wasn't even a struggle to fasten them. I haven't worn that size since my wife and I started dating. So I went out last night and treated myself to some new wardrobe items, mostly smaller pants and shirts. In my old clothes, I was beginning to look like I was wearing someone else's hand-me-downs (which in a sense, I was).

Keto on, team!!
Congratulations on the new duds, toss the old ones in the mission barrel and never look back!