"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-21-2015, 11:56 PM   #71
Head Chef

A Comparative Analysis of Sugars

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:48 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

A friend sent me this recipe. Thought of the Keto team...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC_keto.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	22673  

Old 03-22-2015, 12:50 AM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess my question is, since I don't eat bread, why is it so hard to cut out bread or pasta? Also don't eat pasta....
Old 03-22-2015, 02:27 AM   #74
Master Chef

Addiction? In my case, memories. I grew up in a house where my Dad worked for a bread baking company. Many a day he would come home with a loaf fresh out of the commercial ovens. In the summer it was still warm - probably from being in a non-air conditioned car, but I could pretend it was still warm from the oven. Whenever I eat a slice of bread I think of Dad.

Mom stretched a lot of meals with noodles and spaghetti. We've been eating less and less pasta at our house over the years, subbing in grains like rice and bulgur. Again, though, it's a lot of the memory thing for me.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #75
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addiction?
Yes.
Your Brain on Sugar
Sugar Addiction Slideshow: Symptoms, Cravings, Detox, and Diet Tips

Sugar, wheat, rice, starchy vegetables, most fruits - even those so-called "heart healthy whole grains" that the government says we should be eating more of. As a diabetic who manages his disease completely through diet, they all have the same effect on me. Once in my body it turns into glucose, which in turn causes my blood sugar levels to become elevated and stay elevated for a long period of time. It's not a pleasant state. It causes intense thirst, makes my eyes burn, and zaps my energy. Plus, when the bad feeling eventually subsides, it leaves me craving more sugar.

Not long after I started on this low carb diet, we went out with some friends to a Korean BBQ. I asked the waitress if one of the dishes had sugar in it and she said no. Well, it tasted sweet to me and, after eating it, my blood glucose went from about 84 (normal) up to about 130 for several hours. It remained above 100 even into the next morning. I am almost positive it had honey, molasses, or something similar in it. Whatever it was, I felt completely crappy after eating it.

So if I want something that tastes sweet, but doesn't make me feel bad afterwards, I'd much rather take my chances with an alternative sweetener.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addiction? In my case, memories. I grew up in a house where my Dad worked for a bread baking company. Many a day he would come home with a loaf fresh out of the commercial ovens. In the summer it was still warm - probably from being in a non-air conditioned car, but I could pretend it was still warm from the oven. Whenever I eat a slice of bread I think of Dad.

Mom stretched a lot of meals with noodles and spaghetti. We've been eating less and less pasta at our house over the years, subbing in grains like rice and bulgur. Again, though, it's a lot of the memory thing for me.
I grew up in the bread eating tribe. Love fresh, homemade bread. Pasta, well not being Italian, pasta = spaghetti every Monday. I can't remember the last time I made spaghetti. Maybe 10-12 years ago? Easy to cut pasta out of my diet. I do, however, love barley, rice of the prairies, faro, quinoa, and wild rice. I would have a hard time cutting whole grains out of my diet. However, I have cut back on those.

When I had a dog with renal insufficiency, I learned that white rice was a no-no. Maybe I should dig out my textbook for animal nutrition...
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #77
Wine Guy

Let's not stray too far off the track here please. Kathleen started this thread for those of us who are on a ketogenic diet to share our finds or tips/tricks for success. I don't really want to get into foods we "miss" because not all of us miss those things, or have limited options due to health related issues.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a link that landed in my inbox re: ways with cauliflower. I thought several of these might be of interest to the Keto Team:

Closet Cooking: Cauliflower Recipes
Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #79
Wine Guy

Thanks. Some of those look pretty good. The cauliflower "rice" has been a regular item in my diet lately.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Thanks. Some of those look pretty good. The cauliflower "rice" has been a regular item in my diet lately.
Mine, too. When I was shopping Thursday, cauliflower was $5.99/head at the produce market, $3.99 at the wholesaler. I skipped cauliflower this week, went with beets and fennel, instead.