"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #81
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Thanks. Some of those look pretty good. The cauliflower "rice" has been a regular item in my diet lately.
I've been using cauliflower or broccoli mash as my afternoon snack. Sometimes sauteed in bacon fat shredded cabbage.

I get the Costco size packages of cauliflower and broccoli, boil each up to easily mashed and portion into servings with butter salt and pepper, toss in the freezer. They are ready for a quick snack or meal. I put them in my lunchbag and they thaw in time for afternoon snacks, just warm in the microwave.

To clarify, until I gave up sugar, I never found Broccoli or Cauliflower as favorite items in my diet, I avoided them as much as possible. Now I crave them.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
[...]

To clarify, until I gave up sugar, I never found Broccoli or Cauliflower as favorite items in my diet, I avoided them as much as possible. Now I crave them.
I would think the low carb salad recipe I posted would make it into your lunchbox...Funny how once you quit sugar, your cravings change. I often crave veggies.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #83
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I would think the low carb salad recipe I posted would make it into your lunchbox...Funny how once you quit sugar, your cravings change. I often crave veggies.
Your low carb salad makes it into my diet most days, love that I can eat bacon everyday. I do try to keep it to 3 slices a day.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #84
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My wife is that way with cauliflower now, too. I'm that way with tomatoes. I don't eat them very often because I know how much sugar is in them. So on the rare occasions I have them, it's like a special treat. Tomatoes are the new ice cream.

I also have weird cravings for red meat now, which is new for me. I was mostly a chicken and fish eater in my former life. So just the other day, I was grocery shopping and walked by a refrigerator bin of bulk packaged pork chops (not center cut, but the real fatty kind) that were on sale for $1.69 a pound. They were such a good price I ended up buying three 8-packs. It's funny that the lean cuts are so much more expensive, but it's the fatty ones that I crave.

Pork chops are something I may have eaten once or twice a year previously, but lately I've been occasionally enjoying the darned things for breakfast. And at $0.80 a chop, they are as cheap as bacon and eggs.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #85
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If I didn't have a freezer full of half a grass fed beef...I'd be all over the pork in the store, the fattier the better.

I'm on a fat fast for a week, at a plateau, time to nudge it. Unfortunately, my new cookbooks showed up on Friday.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

With some tweaks, I bet PF/Steve could make this into an amazing Keto-friendly dish.

Closet Cooking: Cauliflower Enchilada Casserole
Old 03-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #87
Cupcake

I am so sick this week. It's been bad since Friday night. So I went to the doctor today, and this is the doctor who has been very supportive of my diet. She sighed hard and said, "You need to switch to the BRAT diet." (Bananas, Rice, Apples, and Toast/Tea.) It's suppose to be for a few days, but I feel like it is a huge step backwards.

What do you eat when you are sick?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #88
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So sorry to hear you're sick, Kathleen. I'd stick with BRAT. Hope you're better soon!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #89
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
What do you eat when you are sick?
Chicken Soup... without noodles, of course!

Hope you feel better soon Kathleen.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #90
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
With some tweaks, I bet PF/Steve could make this into an amazing Keto-friendly dish.

Closet Cooking: Cauliflower Enchilada Casserole
This looks good. I would probably just replace the black beans with a suitable protein (chicken, beef, or pork would work) and call it good.

I just recently saw a recipe for low carb flaxseed tortillas, so I may have to do some Mexican cooking here soon.