Low-Carbing with the Keto-Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats Steve!

I haven't had any weight loss lately, but clothes are fitting differently.

Those look good Steve.

I did break down and buy some Xanthan Gum (EXPENSIVE) to use for slight thickening. It does wonders for a light thicken (jelling) of soy sauce based sauce in place of cornstarch. I used about a quarter teaspoon for about a quart of soup.

This is too late to help you, but it may help others. In a couple of our local grocery stores they sell these little packets of Xanthun Gum for a about sixty cents. A good way to check it out before making a large investment. It is usually in with the specialty baking items like Bob's Red Mill.

img_4001.jpg

This is too late to help you, but it may help others. In a couple of our local grocery stores they sell these little packets of Xanthun Gum for a about sixty cents. A good way to check it out before making a large investment. It is usually in with the specialty baking items like Bob's Red Mill.

img_4001.jpg

Thanks Aunt Bea! I hadn't seen that before I will check it out...when I run out in 20 years:ROFLMAO:

A little does go a long......long......................LONG ways.

I drank a shot glass of heavy cream for breakfast today. It was surprisingly filling and strangely tolerable.

~Kathleen

A little does go a long......long......................LONG ways.

I drank a shot glass of heavy cream for breakfast today. It was surprisingly filling and strangely tolerable.

~Kathleen

I love the heavy cream in my coffee, between it and the coconut oil, I don't miss sugar at all.

I made a cheesecake last night. I did my normal non-baked cheesecake but I didn't use the crust. It is in a bowl. The only real difference is I put the cinnamon in the custard since it normally goes in the crust.

WOWIE... that is good.

Roughly:

2 blocks of cream cheese
10 ounces heavy cream (start less and work towards it, it can get too soupy fast)
1/2 cup granulated splenda
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp-ish of cinnamon (I use the Saigon cinnamon from McCormick)
juice of 1 lemon

start at the top and work your way down with a mixer.

Okay, my turn to be a PITA, but just cause I like you and care...

So, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar would be 387 calories in the whole recipe, most likely you would get 12 servings out of the cake. That's 8 gms carbs in a serving.

Just pointing it out...I really hate artificial sweeteners and think everyone should give them a pass. Stick to real sugar.

Also, if you made a baked cheesecake you would use eggs, increasing the fat and protein in the cheesecake, making it more healthy for a Keto diet. I find that increased fat, especially using unsalted butter or coconut oil, will actually make a recipe seem sweeter and you can reduce the sweetener used.

Aside from all that, I'm glad you played with the recipe and made something you like that fits in the Keto Lifestyle. I would enjoy cheesecake for a bit in place of my dark chocolate daily ration. Time for some strawberry fat bombs...

I finally got a Ketone Monitor...I have some work to do. While I am in Ketosis @ 0.7mmol/dl, it is a mild ketosis. I need to be in the 1.5-3 mmol/dl range for max weight loss assist. More fat, less of the veggies I have been craving and enjoying, less protein, too!

Have to watch my macros closely.

So, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar would be 387 calories in the whole recipe, most likely you would get 12 servings out of the cake. That's 8 gms carbs in a serving.

Just pointing it out...I really hate artificial sweeteners and think everyone should give them a pass. Stick to real sugar.
Not here. I simply can't tolerate real sugar at all. Even 8 gms of sugar kicks my blood glucose through the roof.

For baking, I use a sugar alcohol called erythritol, and specifically a brand called Swerve. Even the health nuts around here swear by it. I like it because it has no weird aftertaste and does nothing to my BG. I ate a spoonful of the stuff today just to see what effect it would have. Nothing. In fact, my BG went down a bit.
More about Erythritol: Erythritol - Like Sugar Without The Calories. Too Good to be True?

Tomorrow is Kellie's birthday, and we are getting together with some friends. I am surprising her with a Keto Chocolate Cake, made with almond and coconut flour, and topped with chocolate ganache. I always end up kicking myself afterwards when I experiment with these things, but I'll take one for the team since it's her birthday and I wanted to do something nice.

It came out pretty good. A little tilt, but that just contributes to the homemade appearance... ;)

img_1414317_0_f12d45fd5f85686d54892eb25a479564.jpg

Last edited:
I guess, if I couldn't tolerate even a little bit of sugar, I would just give it up, not look for a substitute. As it is, I'm not using added sugar and what I do get from foods is what comes naturally. Even on my cheat days, every two weeks, I get maybe another 9-12 additional carbs for the day, for a total of 20-21 grams.

Addiction? In my case, memories. I grew up in a house where my Dad worked for a bread baking company. Many a day he would come home with a loaf fresh out of the commercial ovens. In the summer it was still warm - probably from being in a non-air conditioned car, but I could pretend it was still warm from the oven. Whenever I eat a slice of bread I think of Dad.

Mom stretched a lot of meals with noodles and spaghetti. We've been eating less and less pasta at our house over the years, subbing in grains like rice and bulgur. Again, though, it's a lot of the memory thing for me.

Addiction?
Yes.
Your Brain on Sugar
Sugar Addiction Slideshow: Symptoms, Cravings, Detox, and Diet Tips

Sugar, wheat, rice, starchy vegetables, most fruits - even those so-called "heart healthy whole grains" that the government says we should be eating more of. As a diabetic who manages his disease completely through diet, they all have the same effect on me. Once in my body it turns into glucose, which in turn causes my blood sugar levels to become elevated and stay elevated for a long period of time. It's not a pleasant state. It causes intense thirst, makes my eyes burn, and zaps my energy. Plus, when the bad feeling eventually subsides, it leaves me craving more sugar.

Not long after I started on this low carb diet, we went out with some friends to a Korean BBQ. I asked the waitress if one of the dishes had sugar in it and she said no. Well, it tasted sweet to me and, after eating it, my blood glucose went from about 84 (normal) up to about 130 for several hours. It remained above 100 even into the next morning. I am almost positive it had honey, molasses, or something similar in it. Whatever it was, I felt completely crappy after eating it.

So if I want something that tastes sweet, but doesn't make me feel bad afterwards, I'd much rather take my chances with an alternative sweetener.

Last edited:
Addiction? In my case, memories. I grew up in a house where my Dad worked for a bread baking company. Many a day he would come home with a loaf fresh out of the commercial ovens. In the summer it was still warm - probably from being in a non-air conditioned car, but I could pretend it was still warm from the oven. Whenever I eat a slice of bread I think of Dad.

Mom stretched a lot of meals with noodles and spaghetti. We've been eating less and less pasta at our house over the years, subbing in grains like rice and bulgur. Again, though, it's a lot of the memory thing for me.
I grew up in the bread eating tribe. Love fresh, homemade bread. Pasta, well not being Italian, pasta = spaghetti every Monday. I can't remember the last time I made spaghetti. Maybe 10-12 years ago? Easy to cut pasta out of my diet. I do, however, love barley, rice of the prairies, faro, quinoa, and wild rice. I would have a hard time cutting whole grains out of my diet. However, I have cut back on those.

When I had a dog with renal insufficiency, I learned that white rice was a no-no. Maybe I should dig out my textbook for animal nutrition...

Let's not stray too far off the track here please. Kathleen started this thread for those of us who are on a ketogenic diet to share our finds or tips/tricks for success. I don't really want to get into foods we "miss" because not all of us miss those things, or have limited options due to health related issues.

Thanks. Some of those look pretty good. The cauliflower "rice" has been a regular item in my diet lately. :chef:
Mine, too. When I was shopping Thursday, cauliflower was $5.99/head at the produce market, $3.99 at the wholesaler. I skipped cauliflower this week, went with beets and fennel, instead.

Back
Top Bottom