"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 11-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #11
Master Chef

Here is a recipe that is always a hit and could not be simpler!

Chocolate Silk Pie

1 container silken tofu or low fat silken tofu (usually 15 ounces, I think)
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted (sub carob if you want)
1/4 cup sugar or more/less to taste (sub Splenda if you want)
1t vanilla extract
1 pie crust (i usually use a graham cracker one but you could do a low fat/cholesterol sub or probably omit the pie crust altogether, as the pie is very firm after being chilled)

Dump tofu into a food processor and process for about 15 seconds. Dump in melted chocolate, sugar and vanilla. Process in pulses of about 5-10 seconds, stopping to scrape the bowl down until all ingredients are fully and smoothly incorporated. Taste to see if it needs more sugar. Then whirl in the food processor for another 30 seconds to incorporate air into the mixture.

Pour into pie shell (or directly into pie plate -- but I have not tried this myself) and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Better if left overnight.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #12
Cook

Hey Piccolina, I found some figs in our local supermarket. It's california calimyrna figs (Sunmaid brand). They're good!! I am going to make the frozen yogurt for breakfast tomorrow morning. I was out of yogurt so went and bought some of that too. Will let you know how it turned out.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi Sunflower, I'm happy to hear that you were able to get ahold of some figs, they are such a special treat! I almost envy those folks who are lucky enough to live in an area where they are grown...They (figs) are so versitile too, you can eat them "as is", poach them, caramelize them, even cook them with meat dishes (pork and figs are lovely together). Looking forward to hearing how you like the frozen yogurt

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #14
Cook

I tried the yogurt with frozen mixed fruits instead of just berries. It was really good. My husband liked it a lot too. I am going to make some more.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
That's cool Sunflower, what mixed fruits did you use? I recently made a batch with frozen raspberries, it was utterly awesome!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #16
Cook

I had a package of peaches, melons, grapes and pineapple in the freezer and then I added some strawberries. I wanted to save my berries for the coulis.

Oh, and we had our yoghurt laced with fiber one cereal on top. It was yum! I didn't have any granola. I would like to try it with granola next time.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

sunflower, try flax, saffron, or roasted sunflower seeds on top of your fruit yogurt. it's good for you, adds crunch, and not as fattening as granola.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #18
Cook

Thanks, buckytom. I love sunflower seeds, I'll try that today.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
sunflower, try flax, saffron, or roasted sunflower seeds on top of your fruit yogurt. it's good for you, adds crunch, and not as fattening as granola.
Yum, I love seeds, I've really gotten into using pumpkin seeds too. They are good in everything from muffins to salads, pine nuts are another that I've been using more and more too (but I'm not sure how they taste over frozen yogurt ).

Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i was introduced to seeds atop my yogurt when i was in westport, co. mayo a few years ago piccolina. i stayed in the high street b&b run by a very nice couple who served an awesome breakfast. eggs, toast, white puddings, a tomato baked with the house special herb viniagrette on it, fruit, and delicious yougurt with flax seeds.
umm, flax and yogurt is particularly good for, well, the flow of things...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote