Low sodium fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook
I invented a new taste from potatoes and canned salmon with mustard and hot peppers garlic and even shoyu....it was just too good to stop eating it until it was gone, my mouth waters every time I think of it.

Unfortunately the canned fish had so much salt that it was not good for my heart.

Then I was thinking that ocean fish must store the salt in their bodies?

And maybe I should use fresh water fish? But I have no idea and the price must be high.
:ermm:

Salt is added during the canning process as a preservative.

Switch from canned fish to fresh (or frozen) fish. You'll see a great improvement in taste, and a large reduction in salt.

And fresh salmon runs 30 to 60 mg sodium per 3 ounces, or about a quarter of the sodium in a copy of corn flakes. Crown Prince and others produce no-salt-added canned salmon. Or an excellent choice would be Raincoast Trading brand. $3 per 5.65 ounce can on Amazon when you buy 12. Even if you're not interested in their sustainable catch methods, they are wild caught in the Pacific Northwest and packed in Canada.
Wild Sockeye Salmon

is it possible to soak out a large amount of the salt? (from canned fish)

no, you cannot soak canned fish. you will simply ruin it. But you have said nothing about dish you made, it might be quite possible to make it out of fresh fish. Or do not add any salt to other ingredients, it might balance out the salt in the fish.

Subsitute fresh Trout, steam it and let it cool. And ,yes fresh water fish has less salt then salt water fish.

Back
Top Bottom