"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets

Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
Head Chef

I'm checking with the doctor on Tuesday....I am sometimes blind to the obvious, lol.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
Master Chef

Some medications will definately decrease your sense of smell, taste, and appetite - and some can zap your energy! And, sometimes when you take your medication in respect to when you have a meal can also be a factor ... taking your medication after your meal may cause less of a problem than taking it before the meal.

I went through this with my Dad. And, saw it quite a bit in the hospital.

If you can't taste or smell - it's definately going to lower your motivation to cook. I go through the same thing when I'm having problems with allergies (sinus) or asthma.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Master Chef

I have had the same experience. Lost much of my sense of smell and taste for some reason over the holidays last year. I've lost a few pounds, but kept my desire to eat, even if it isn't as much fun as it used to be. I have a reputation to maintain after all (LOL!). But I do have to have hubby do the final tasting of most meals I put on the table (I'll over-salt because that is one thing that tastes great to me). But as I'm watching my mom starve to death, I've learned you have to do what is good for your body, and to take joy in it. So ..... I keep hoping my smeller and taste buds come back. Meanwhile, I still eat, drink, love, and generally enjoy. It isn't as good as it used to be, but what the heck?

As far as motivation, love and friendship. I recently spent a few weeks cooking for Daddy and every time we got up from dinner I was praised to high heaven. My husband never fails to praise my cooking. One dinner I would have considered a minor failure was gobbled up by Hubby, Dad, and Sis. Not a scraping of the bowl left. The best motivation for good cooking is an appreciative audience.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Hiya!

How does one 'move to a new kitchen', exactly??? Is that like telling your neighbour that you want to use their kitchen?

As for the lack of motivation...wait it out. It's no fun cooking when you really are not in the mood. Order in for a while.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Head Chef

well, you move flats, lol. I'm only in this one until May....it seems so much bother to finish unpacking for such a short time. I almost wish we lived in a camper van....goodness knows it would have been easier.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
It's likely that your lack of appetite and motivation are linked to something that seems unrelated. Stress in another part of your life, maybe? There are times when I don't feel myself at all and I later realize it's because of some issue that's been bothering me. Think about other things that may have changed along with what you've already mentioned, regardless of how random they may seem. It might help you piece together what's going on behind the scenes so you can work on making the necessary changes.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
well, you move flats, lol. I'm only in this one until May....it seems so much bother to finish unpacking for such a short time. I almost wish we lived in a camper van....goodness knows it would have been easier.
It's hard to get motivated in an enviroment like that! I know ... I'm packing to make a move at the end of this month and my inspiration and motivation to cook got packed in a box somewhere a couple of weeks ago.