MSG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing some reading it appears the accepted standard is a tripling of plasma insulin from MSG. While wikipedia might not agree, the American Physioligical Society does, amongst others.

Injecting of lab rats and mice with MSG appears to also be able to induce obesity (because of insulin levels), and seems to be the accepted practice for this.

I will admit I am not trained as a biologist. If you have formal credentials then I will, of course, have to accede to your expertise in this.

Fine. Then you won't mind citing these sources and their studies that prove that the amount of MSG any human being would ingest will raise that person's insulin.

As you can see from my link, there is no such definitive study. And btw, the "placebo" effect was quite prominent with regard to the usual list of symptoms .

Last edited:

Thank you. That 1999 study has, oddly, not been referenced by anyone other than groups that I mentioned earlier that link MSG to every conceivable ailment known to man. I can find no reviews, pro or con, by scientists, no mention of it at all.

That certainly doesn't mean that it has no merit.

"In summary, when resting humans ingest a large dose of MSG there is a rise in plasma glutamate that is large, peaks within 30–45 min, and is accompanied by a similar relative rise in plasma aspartate. This is accompanied and preceded by a rise in plasma insulin."

The above is its conclusion. How this translates to real-life situations for healthy people or those with diabetes I do not know.

BTW, I am not for or against MSG. I actually prefer to avoid excess sodium whenever possible.

I have no dog in the fight, but anytime we put anything into our bodies there is consequence. How much, what they are and how harmful or beneficial is always the question.

In the end Kathleen doesn't tolerate MSG well, I have never noticed any ill effects but I don't see a reason to cook with it, and that works for us.

Fine. Then you won't mind citing these sources and their studies that prove that the amount of MSG any human being would ingest will raise that person's insulin.

As you can see from my link, there is no such definitive study. And btw, the "placebo" effect was quite prominent with regard to the usual list of symptoms .

I can imagine that the vast majority of MSG headaches are placebo effect. The majority of us don't really know what our insulin level is, so it is usually measured when talking about whether or not it increased. I fail to see how placebo effect applies to insulin in this discussion.

I'm thinking the Journal of Endocrinology is definitely reputable.

I've found this thread very enlightening in so many ways. I've learned a lot from you all. I'd like to thank our members for disagreeing as civilly as possible. It just reminds me how we are passionate about our food, and the things in our food.

Having said that, I think we've gone around and around this subject several times and said the same things in several ways. Lets give this thread a rest and if new information comes to light we can begin a new thread about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom