MSG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have a prob in chinese restaurants and this I think is because I eat to much and use a lot of soy, the simsons are a very dry mouth, unusual thirst, broken sleep ( I have to get up to pee thankfully:ohmy:) so I just ask them to leave the "taste powder" out.

Growing up, well, my mum scared the tar outta me 'bout this MSG "stuff"...I avoied it like the plague. Just never messed w/that "evil crud"....but, a few months ago, a dry, powder form of Accent introduced itself into my kitchen, &...wow!! I love the stuff! A little goes a long way, &, the taste it detonates certaintly are appreciated. So, I suppose that I am now in the camp of MSG (in moderation) RULES!! :)

I understand that some people have allergies. I have some myself (not food related). But, on a recent flight, over loadspeaker the passengers were asked to put away any food product that may contain any type of nuts. (Due to one passenger on the plane being allergic). Guess what? Dozens of people were eating crackers, cookies, sandwiches, etc. (So many snack items contain nuts or possibly were processed where the product came into contact with nuts.) I noticed that no one put their food items away. Bravo... I say, if one person has such a severe allergy. They should have been wearing a mask and not expect 80-90 people to put their food away. That type of thing is ridiculous! I am allergic to cigarette smoke, so I avoid anyone who smokes and I avoid any environment where there are cigarettes..period...I don't walk into a bar and ask people to put their cigarettes out. I stay out.

Last edited:
I understand that some people have allergies. I have some myself (not food related). But, on a recent flight, over loadspeaker the passengers were asked to put away any food product that may contain any type of nuts. (Due to one passenger on the plane being allergic). Guess what? Dozens of people were eating crackers, cookies, sandwiches, etc. (So many snack items contain nuts or possibly were processed where the product came into contact with nuts.) I noticed that no one put their food items away. Bravo... I say, if one person has such a severe allergy. They should have been wearing a mask and not expect 80-90 people to put their food away. That type of thing is ridiculous! I am allergic to cigarette smoke, so I avoid anyone who smokes and I avoid any environment where there are cigarettes..period...I don't walk into a bar and ask people to put their cigarettes out. I stay out.
The difference is that with cig smoke you are not going to die if you come into contact with it. Someone with a nut allergy could very easily die if they even touch something that was in contact with a nut. I hardly think it is fair to tell those people sorry, but you must drive to Hawaii instead of fly because the guy next to you just has to eat his peanuts instead of having a little human compassion and waiting a few hours and eating something else instead.

The difference is that with cig smoke you are not going to die if you come into contact with it. Someone with a nut allergy could very easily die if they even touch something that was in contact with a nut. I hardly think it is fair to tell those people sorry, but you must drive to Hawaii instead of fly because the guy next to you just has to eat his peanuts instead of having a little human compassion and waiting a few hours and eating something else instead.
I agree, in theory, with both of you. I know a little boy with a deathly peanut allergy, and just touching them can send him to the hospital, and smelling them up close can make him very sick.

The thing with the airplane scenario is, unless the plane was totally sanitized from previous flights there could still be peanut residue, so if a person's allergies are THAT bad they may need to wear some kind of special suit. Most don't have an allergy that bad and just need to avoid actually eating peanuts or being in close proximity to peanuts. For that reason, my friends with the boy with the allergy can't eat at places like restaurants where they serve peanuts and the shells are thrown on the floor.

For a typical peanut allergy (or most allergies) the allergic person just needs to avoid eating them or being very close to them. If someone has such drastic allergies, as described above, it is up to that person (or the family if it is a child) to take extra precautions.

:huh:Barbara

Barbara makes an excellent point about previous flights contaminating the plane.

If you have a severe allergy, it is on you to protect yourself. If that means wearing mask while flying, that's what you have to do. There is no other practical way to deal with it.

I have a totally different question. Is it me or the allergies are on the rise? I do not remember any of my friends, class mates, college friends growing up having allergies, well exept two who had egg allergies as little kids, but even they out grew it eventually.

I have a totally different question. Is it me or the allergies are on the rise? I do not remember any of my friends, class mates, college friends growing up having allergies, well exept two who had egg allergies as little kids, but even they out grew it eventually.

It's not just you Charlie.

Some of it may be due to better diagnosis, but there are more. Some scientists who theorize it is because kids aren't exposed to as much dirt and germs nowadays, so their immune systems start reacting to ordinary things.

Some people think it is because there is so much unnatural stuff in our food and environment now.

And then there is the effect that the more peanut butter that is sold in a country the higher the rate of allergy to peanuts.

I didn't even know a person could be allergic to smoke :huh:

My father became allergic to shellfish when he got older (cripes I hope it never happens to me). He wound up in the hospital one night from eating fries that were deep fried in the same oil as shrimp. He learned the hard way to avoid anything that might be remotely connected to shellfish.

I developed an allergy to clams as a senior in high school. I still miss them.

Bummer.
At least you didn't have to move out of Mass because of clam shucking residue in the air :LOL:

Can you eat other shellfish, Andy? My father's allergies started small and then spread to any shellfish. I can't remember his first reaction, but I know he was still eating some shellfish for a while.

Bummer.
At least you didn't have to move out of Mass because of clam shucking residue in the air :LOL:

Can you eat other shellfish, Andy? My father's allergies started small and then spread to any shellfish. I can't remember his first reaction, but I know he was still eating some shellfish for a while.

No other shellfish are an issue, although I haven't tried mussels.

Allergies

Sorry, I do not agree that everyone should put their food away on a plane. The person with the food allergy needs to be prepared and wear a mask. By the way, I could very well "die" from my allergy to smoke. My asthma is chronic and severe. I have been exposed to products in stores/gas stations and markets and been hospitalized. Allergy to bleach, ammonia, and pine cleaners.
"Human compassion has nothing to do with it." Wear a mask. I have worn a mask at times, depending upon the environment. But, sometimes I walk into a store and have to walk directly out.

Wearing a mask will not stop someone who has a peanut allergy from potentially dying. And human compassion has a lot to do with it. Walking into a store and flying on a plane are completely different things. Would you tell someone to their face that they can not travel to somewhere overseas because you want your snack?

Last edited:
Wearing a mask will not stop someone who has a peanut allergy from potentially dying.

A mask may not be the solution. The point is the responsibility for protecting the person with the allergy lies with the person or his caregivers. Frankly, i wouldn't have it any other way if I was the allergic person. I know what I have to do and that I will do it right. No one else should bear responsibility for my condition.

Allergy

I agree, in theory, with both of you. I know a little boy with a deathly peanut allergy, and just touching them can send him to the hospital, and smelling them up close can make him very sick.

The thing with the airplane scenario is, unless the plane was totally sanitized from previous flights there could still be peanut residue, so if a person's allergies are THAT bad they may need to wear some kind of special suit. Most don't have an allergy that bad and just need to avoid actually eating peanuts or being in close proximity to peanuts. For that reason, my friends with the boy with the allergy can't eat at places like restaurants where they serve peanuts and the shells are thrown on the floor.

For a typical peanut allergy (or most allergies) the allergic person just needs to avoid eating them or being very close to them. If someone has such drastic allergies, as described above, it is up to that person (or the family if it is a child) to take extra precautions.

:huh:Barbara

I totally agree with your post. It is about personal responsibility. The airplanes are never "totally sanitized." You are lucky to have them pick up the trash on the floor and wipe down the bathrooms. Planes are dirty and we all need to be cautious and aware of that. But, masks should be worn by the peanut allergy people and any of us who have a chronic condition. (Just as parents of little babies should be prepared on flights and try as much as possible to keep the child comfortable and quiet.) I always flew with my child and I was prepared and never a problem. And, never disturbed anyone on a flight.

I do not disagree that the responsibility is on the person with the allergy. In this case the person with the allergy did what they needed to stay safe, which was alerting the flight crew to their condition and ensuring they would be safe.

I do not thing the other passengers should be forced to put away their nut products, but I would hope that human decency would prevail and everyone would realize that their snack weighed against someone getting sick and possibly dying is an easy choice to make.

I do not disagree that the responsibility is on the person with the allergy. In this case the person with the allergy did what they needed to stay safe, which was alerting the flight crew to their condition and ensuring they would be safe...

In this case, the person put the burden of his safety on a plane full of strangers. That's making them responsible.

Allergies

Wearing a mask will not stop someone who has a peanut allergy from potentially dying. And human compassion has a lot to do with it. Walking into a store and flying on a plane are completely different things. Would you tell someone to their face that they can not travel to somewhere overseas because you want your snack?

If a person has that severe of a peanut allergy, they should be driving in a car and not on a plane full of people. If I was on an overseas flight and asked to put my food away, along with 80 other people due to one person-I would not do it. What's next? People with allergies to apples, oranges, bread, coffee, etc. (Put them all away...) It is up the the individual or the caregiver. Period.When I walk into a gas station and they have mopped with heavy bleach or pine cleaner, I have very serious reactions. I walk directly outside. And, I do not go there again. But, in the meantime I must make a trip to the doctor or hospital. Help!..the food police are now in the skies...

We do not know the specifics Andy. We do not know if this person was flying out of necessity or flying to go on vacation. We do not know if the person just simply mentioned to the flight crew of their allergy in case there was anything they could do or if they demanded action. We do not know that the person put any burden of safety on anyone else.

All I know is that if people are so selfish that they would need to have their snack over helping a fellow human being ensure they do not die then this is a society that is not going to last much longer, nor would I want it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom